Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
There is nothing wrong with having a device with extra features. If we were all to have devices fit for only specific purpose then we'll all need camping packs to carry what we need.

Palm Inc, was a primary example, they were fools to stick to their digital "organizer only" mantra illusion. Now they've fallen to market irrelevance. Especially when the future is convergence.

Consumers are fools to want a single function device, the less functions you get the more you'll have to buy later on. Why would you want the company to make more $$ off you? You fools are precisely the kind of customers business want.

By allowing businesses to get away with providing less for more, we get products like Apple iPAD, and a world that sucks for smart consumers, since business don't need to cater to our high demands, when so many sheeps are really for slaughter.

My old HP HX4700 PDA from 7 years ago has a 640X480 transflective touch screen, SD I/O slot, WiFi, Bluetooth, upgradeable to Windows Mobile 6.5, an CF Slot/PCMCIA slot allowing upgrade to SDHC, WiFi N, basically any laptop accessory. It is still a relevant piece of electronics today.

Last edited by jessie102; 01-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post

You fools are precisely the kind of customers business want.
Actually I don't appreciate it to be called a fool by you! I'd rather you try to watch your language, please.

Get what ever you like to and be happy with it, but refrain from calling other people names just because they like to have dedicated ereaders.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having a device with extra features. If we were all to have devices fit for only specific purpose then we'll all need camping packs to carry what we need.

Palm Inc, was a primary example, they were fools to stick to their digital "organizer only" mantra illusion. Now they've fallen to market irrelevance. Especially when the future is convergence.

Consumers are fools to want a single function device, the less functions you get the more you'll have to buy later on. Why would you want the company to make more $$ off you? You fools are precisely the kind of customers business want.

By allowing businesses to get away with providing less for more, we get products like Apple iPAD, and a world that sucks for smart consumers, since business don't need to cater to our high demands, when so many sheeps are really for slaughter.

My old HP HX4700 PDA from 7 years ago has a 640X480 transflective touch screen, SD I/O slot, WiFi, Bluetooth, upgradeable to Windows Mobile 6.5, an CF Slot/PCMCIA slot allowing upgrade to SDHC, WiFi N, basically any laptop accessory. It is still a relevant piece of electronics today.
Nope, nothing wrong with having a device with extra features. I love having a browser on my 950. However, there is also nothing wrong with wanting a dedicated device. No one is a "fool" for their preferences, and you'd do better not to try to insult people who don't agree with you.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

No offense, but then don't be one, I don't appreciate it when the market is flooded with dumbed down devices because fools create a market for them, so much that good devices are driven out of the market.

Good example is Windows Mobile 7 phones, now they no longer even have basic functions like Copy and Paste, multi-tasking, SD Card Expansion, tethering, folder file system. Thanks to the Apple crowd that Microsoft is catering for, we get less functionality than its 3 year old Windows Mobile 6.5 predecessor for equal / higher price.

Last edited by jessie102; 01-15-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am really enjoying my Sony. Although the pocketbook is a good reader with a lot of flexibility, it comes down to the reading experience and for me, I have much preferered reading with my Sony. I didn't have the wifi features etc. on my pocketbook since I had the 360 and it was a 5" vs 6" screen so bear that in mind. What I have enjoyed more on the Sony is:

1) It just plain works. I often was getting freezes etc. and so it would not remember where I was in the book. It didn't happen all the time, but enough to cause some frustration.
2) I love the touch screen and now realize I just don't like buttons. (the 360 did not have touch) I do prefer the buttons on the Sony since they have a nice touch to them, but really I would just rather not use buttons to turn the page as it does something to the reading experience, kind of feeling like a bit of a jolt rather than a natural page turn. I never or rarely use the stylus and love that I can finger touch like I do on my ipod.
3) The battery life for me is WAY longer with the Sony. I had to charge often with my pocketbook. I know that many do not have that experience but I did.
4) The screen - I really love the pearl screen. It looks so much nicer. I'm sure we will be seing more of this on other readers but for now, I really have noticed a big difference.
5) I like the look and feel better. I get a bigger screen while not feeling like I'm holding much and it just has a nice sleak look which I like. It really is a nice size. I always felt like the 5" screen was just a little too small for me but was scared to go much bigger since I wanted to use this while I was nursing. I had initially been worried about being able to switch hands but it works so well with the touch screen. Lovely.

I do really like the options pocketbook has for adding fonts, themes etc. but my Sony just plain works and is a joy to read and now that I know how to workaround to change the fonts, that is working for me too. I would love to have wifi as I do really like those options but I chose to go with the reading experience instead and I'm glad I did.

That being said, it really depends on what you are looking for. For me, the Sony was the better fit. That doesn't mean it will be for everyone. Lots of people here really like to play a lot with their readers and the firmware. I like to at the beginning as I get to know a reader but in the end, I am reading way more now that I am not fiddling with that so much and looking for answers to questions. I just get to read. When I do have something I want to change though, there is enough people that have played with their Sony's that I can usually find the answer I need.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No offense, but then don't be one, I don't appreciate it when the market is flooded with dumbed down devices because fools create a market for them, so much that good devices are driven out of the market.
You don't get it, don't you? Just go and buy what you want, there are a lot of devices out there and the PB's you talked about are still there. But there is no need to call anyone else a fool!!!

You know what? You make a big show about your knowledge and the devices you have, but in the end, when I look at your signature it says:

Sony PRS-505

Talking about fool, eh!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Last edited by Poppaea; 01-15-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: sorry double post
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
jessie102
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
You know what? You make a big show about your knowledge and the devices you have, but in the end, when I look at your signature it says:

Sony PRS-505

Talking about fool, eh!!!
haha yea, some of us "foolishly" prioritize learning to use our powerful devices over maintaining our forum profiles.

Now we know why some of you need dedicated dumb down devices, since you're too busy updating your online profiles that everyone surely cares to look at. Nice picture for ur forum profile, I can't imagine how awesome your myspace page must be

Last edited by jessie102; 01-15-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Wow, I missed all this. I agree that it is not bad to want extra features but I do find that most of the time when we try to find products that do everything it often offers less features for a bunch of different tasks rather than being really good at the task at hand. There are some very fun products and tablets that I would love to try and in the future we may get to a point where we carry one device that does it all with a screen that is great for all different applications, but we are not there yet so in the meantime, I have my separate devices doing what they were meant to do. I know when I pick up my reader, I'm about to sit down and enjoy a good read.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #25
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:
Jessie, you are a true fool! what you really need is a camping pack that can give you a kick in the ass everytime you try to bend over and wax your shoes with your multipurpose toothbrush/smartphone not all of us need our readers to read to us and if you don't like what the markets have to offer, tough luck, seems you are a minority and might as well move to a log cabin somewhere in the wilderness, though i doubt you have ever been camping, eventhough you mentioned the word camping pack in your post I strongly advise you to take a look in the mirror before you call anyone a fool in this forum, and ask yourself.. "who am I and what do I know about marketing"
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #26
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What powerful devices??? Most multi-function devices perform individual tasks less efficiently than a dedicated device... I have a camera to take photographs, a phone for phone calls, a music-player for music AND an eReader for reading. I've yet to see a smartphone match the photographic capabilities of my DSLR, if I listen to music on a phone then I have to recharge it more than I want whereas my music dedicated player require charging every few days... and on and on... if you're happy with your wonderful multi-function device (what is it by the way?) then fine but there are a lot of us who know what we want, look at alternatives and then buy something that meets OUR needs not some self-appointed messiah for the multi-function industry who enjoys insults instead of reasoned discussion...

Quote:
haha yea, some of us "foolishly" prioritize learning to use our powerful devices over maintaining our forum profiles.

Now we know why some of you need dedicated dumb down devices, since you're too busy updating your online profiles that everyone surely cares to look at. Nice picture for ur forum profile, I can't imagine how awesome your myspace page must be
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #27
jessie102
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
..seems you are a minority..
Guess we can't all be leaders, can we?

Most people find additional features quite useful once they realize the convenience gained from it. For example, while driving I can have text2speech read to me the news or some novel, this saves me time and $$ since I don't have to be limited to /and/ buy human read audio books.

On the contrary(side note), businesses hate the Txt2Speech as evidenced by the Amazon Txt2Speech bans on some books of kindle. This is so they can generate more money for human read audio books. If you like to side with businesses and give away your hard earned money to support multi-billion dollar companies, be my guest.

Quote:
Most multi-function devices perform individual tasks less efficiently than a dedicated device
Surely, multi-function devices may not perform some areas of a particular function as well as a dedicated device, but only integration can give rise to synergetic advantages.

For example, hotlinks in text/novel can only function on a device with both a browser and a reader program. If the devices are separated, no matter how good both your reader and browser devices are, you'll never have hotlink function on novel/textbook/rss files.

Another example is Copy & Paste, which I will not explain as the advantages are obvious for those that know how to use it.

I am not against dedicated devices, they have their place and purpose. It's the people whom are against multi-function devices and opt for dedicated devices out of user ignorance that are the problem.

If we all wanted dedicated devices we'd still be stuck will Palm Pilots, Electronic Dictionaries, audio recorders, Single function processors, DVD players, Gaming only consoles, dumb feature phones. But I fully understand simple minds of the majority require simple devices and companies need to maximize profits out of their sheeps.

I once helped a friend watch over his cell phone store, an experience that made me lose much hope for humanity. You won't believe the number of people who can't even get past the unlock screen of Android / Nokia phones let alone add a contact or run a program. Most even have trouble on feature (non-smart) phones.

These are the kind of people that I'm referring to, whom hinder technological progress by creating a market for overly dumbed down simplified devices. These are also the same people who buy based on Brand over specs. Fueling an environment where marketing muscle over technological advance is all that's necessary for success. They call these people novice consumers in Marketing 101. Such people whom are sadly the majority of the consumers, are fools, so don't take offence if this is not you.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #28
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
So you agree that multi-function devices may not perform as well as a dedicated device but that's OK because of a hypothetically wanted synergy... may suit you but not me... I don't want hot links in my books, I want to be able to read them well with a minimum of distractions... haven't found any of my hardcovers or paperbacks with hot links and never been discommoded by it one iota... I want my camera to take the best possible photographs possible, I could care less about emailing them to friends as soon as I've taken them...

And what "powerful multi-function devices do you use that make you such a leader in the tech using community... shame us by your forward looking example...

Quote jessie102: Surely, multi-function devices may not perform some areas of a particular function as well as a dedicated device, but only integration can give rise to synergetic advantages.

For example, hotlinks in text/novel can only function on a device with both a browser and a reader program. If the devices are separated, no matter how good both your reader and browser devices are, you'll never have hotlink function on novel/textbook/rss files.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Jessie, we get it, you're clearly much smarter and more forward thinking than most everyone. Multi-function devices are the wave of the future if people know what's good for them (which they don't, obviously), and anyone who thinks differently isn't thinking at all.

Can you please stop hijacking threads, now?

(By the way, calling people "fools" isn't the best way to make a point, and telling them not to be offended that you've just done so isn't going to help. Unless all you're trying to do is piss people off. In which case, look everybody, rabbits! )
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #30
jessie102
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I want my camera to take the best possible photographs possible, I could care less about emailing them to friends as soon as I've taken them...
How about no having to plug it in for computer transfers?

We're all civilized people here, there's no need to be so defensive about everything.

No one is claiming to be smarter than anyone. Some of us are just more conscious as consumers than others. For example, it never ceases to amaze me when people get so excited about "new" features that to them "just came out" from a well marketed company.

Seven years ago, I was carrying a iPAQ and then the HX 4700 PDA in 2004. Of course no one even heard of it or even today. Then all of a sudden iPOD video came out in 2005, everyone was amazed by how cool it was to watch HD Videos on the go. Something I had been doing for years. Then came the iPhone 1 in 2007, people were amazed at how cool it was to be able to eread, mobile game, view photos on their (320 x 480 res display compared to my 640X480) something I had been doing on the same device since 2004. And to my amusement they later even "sweetened" the deal with "copy and paste" and later with Stereo Bluetooth driver, something I had since 2004. And yes, with a Compact flash plug-in my HX 4700 became a cell phone.

Now iPhone 4 in 2010, brings the motherload, multi-tasking.... Welcome to 2004.

All this time since 2001-4, for less then the price of todays iPhone 4, I have been wirelessly websurfing/file transfering, text2speeching, mobile HD videoing, multi-tasking, e-reading, on top of that, I can still expand with SDHC cards (32GB) something iPhone 2010 can't (yes it even had flash of yesteryear). I understand why evil greedy profit seeking businesses must hate envelop pushing consumers like me, but why consumers stand on their side is beyond me.

The point is, time and time again shows, people don't know nor care about new features until a powerful enough marketing team tells them to.

And might I add, people back then were boosting about much better Palm was, since it was a dedicated device unlike Windows Mobile with all it's features LOL Where is your Palm now?

Last edited by jessie102; 01-16-2011 at 03:42 PM.