Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you support convincing Amazon to make its Kindle DX and ebooks outside the US?
Yes 39 79.59%
No 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Amazon e-books outside of the US

Would you support an petition to convince Amazon to make its' Kindle DX and e-book products available to people outside of the United States?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No. I don't want Amazon to extend their monopolistic behavior.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
April, I hope it's ok for you if I move this thread to the Kindle forums as probably fits better there.

Cheers!

(btw, I voted "yes" of course )
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Nope - would not wish them on anybody else. I did not care for them as just a bookseller or now that they have evolved into marketing everything. The few times I have made purchases I've never been happy with the service and barely with the products. I do hope Barnes & Noble hurries up.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Don't we already know that they want to market the Kindle outside of the US but are currently unable to do so until enough they have a large enough selection of books?

They can't sell kindle books in other countries until they've obtained the rights to do so. A petition isn't going to speed this up.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't see much point to a petition. I believe Amazon are well aware of the demand for ebooks outside the US. Unfortunately the owners of the copyrights to books vary from country to country and the laws in many areas restrict importing of copyrighted works. Amazon has decided it is too costly to negotiate permission to sell ebooks with the local publishing cartel of each country.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do we really want Amazon to get overseas and push Mobipocket when ePub is winning the battle? Right now with ePub going the way it is, as long as the devices support ePub with DRM, then they have store interoperability. So you can purchase from different sources without a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
it probably has nothing to do with amazon....it has to do with the publishers and copyrights in various countries.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do we really want Amazon to get overseas and push Mobipocket when ePub is winning the battle?
Jon, why the worry? Let the consumer decide. Amazon must come to the European market - they are such a big and important player. Give them time, and they will see what the consumer wants most.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I support them making the device available outside the US, but they can't make all the ebooks available outside the US... each book has different publishers for different regions, and it's up to them to provide the right ebook for the local market.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
April, I hope it's ok for you if I move this thread to the Kindle forums as probably fits better there.(btw, I voted "yes" of course )
Don't you think this is a bit restrictive, Alex?

I'm not in the US so can't buy the Kindle reader or Kindle books - not even free ones. So why on earth would I go to the Kindle forums? But I still have an opinion as to whether I should be prohibited from buying Kindles and Kindle books.

Regards, Alex

PS: With a name like that you can't be all bad.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
Ryuujin27
Ryuujin27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes.

I am absolutely dying for them to bring such a service to Japan. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many PDF'd (?) versions of many books. I can find a decent number of novels at various Japanese online... man, I really don't know what to even call them in english, ebook stores?? (日本語:電子書店). But there is no digitalized version of the Harry Potter books in Japanese, for example.

So besides going off in a little rant there, yes, I do want Amazon to take this international. Japanese people love books almost as much as they love gadgets, so this definitely has potential and hopefully with start up along with a larger ebook market.
Ryuujin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
No, because it's not in Amazon's power to do that. If they could do it, I'm sure they would, given that they could sell to anyone with an iPod Touch or iPhone. But their contracts with publishers, and publishers' contracts with authors retrict them to US sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Would you support an petition to convince Amazon to make its' Kindle DX and e-book products available to people outside of the United States?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Ryuujin27
Ryuujin27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, because it's not in Amazon's power to do that. If they could do it, I'm sure they would, given that they could sell to anyone with an iPod Touch or iPhone. But their contracts with publishers, and publishers' contracts with authors retrict them to US sales.
For now. However, what's stopping them from expanding their contracts? There's an amazon.co.uk, amazon.co.jp, etc. Could they not use this to hit those markets as well?
Ryuujin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yes, but each country would have to have their own supply and distribution chain for ebooks. And wireless is an essential part to the Amazon model, so they'd have to make new international hardware and secure partnerships with local providers in Japan and Europe at roughly the same price point that they have with Sprint.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote