Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
ronw
Enthusiast
ronw began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Books Sources

I have just purchased a Kobo and have been goggling the world looking for good digital bookstores. I am more interested in Non Fiction books and have not yet found any good sites that have a large range of books in the Non Fiction Category.
Can forum people please give me some suggestions for good online sellers of books preferably in the ePub format of both fiction and non-fiction ebooks. I am not sure about Amazon are digital books purchased from them usable on non Kindle devices. From a quick look it appears they are locked into Kindle only readers.
All help appreciated
Thanks
ronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Mobileread has a nice collection of public domain books and some people release more current things under creative commons on feedbooks, cheaps multi-format and no drm science fiction can be gotten from baen beyond that look in the deals section you'll find plenty of ebook stores by just watching their sales.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
I do believe most Kindle books are locked into Kindle readers. Other sources for books, though, are MobileRead itself, as well as Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). Also, keep an eye on Inkmesh (http://inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/) - you can sort free book offerings by source, as well as search for titles you'd like to buy.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
ronw
Enthusiast

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I intend to pay for any books that I want. While there is a range of free stuff the kind of content I want would require payment so no problem with paying just need some decent online sellers
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
Can forum people please give me some suggestions for good online sellers of books preferably in the ePub format of both fiction and non-fiction ebooks.
Books On Board
Kobo
Direct Ebooks
Sony
Webscriptions (no DRM)

Quote:
I am not sure about Amazon are digital books purchased from them usable on non Kindle devices. From a quick look it appears they are locked into Kindle only readers.
They can only be used on Kindle's or PC's, Mac's, Blackberrys, iPhone/Touch with the Kindle app unless their DRM is removed and they're converted.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
ronw
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your advice unfortunately I am prohibited from buying from any of the commercial sources because of the mafia that controls the International Book Trade. I tried four sites and all allowed me to select a book and go right through to recording my credit card details and then they throw up a warning saying we are prohibited from selling this book in New Zealand. I have spent a lifetime fighting this stupidity with physical books were because of the way publishers divide the world up into zones and refuse to sell to anyone not in their zone.
I wouldn't mind so much if we had access to online stores in New Zealand but the only one is aligned to Kobo books and they have next to nothing in their inventory.
So here I am with a brand new reader and I cannot get any new books for it.
Are any other new Zealand readers having similar problems
Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
It almost sounds like the publishers want to encourage people to use the darknet.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
It almost sounds like the publishers want to encourage people to use the darknet.
Actually they just want you to buy dead tree books so they don't have to make any changes to their buisness at all. Much easier than just keeping up with the times.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
Thanks for all your advice unfortunately I am prohibited from buying from any of the commercial sources because of the mafia that controls the International Book Trade. I tried four sites and all allowed me to select a book and go right through to recording my credit card details and then they throw up a warning saying we are prohibited from selling this book in New Zealand. I have spent a lifetime fighting this stupidity with physical books were because of the way publishers divide the world up into zones and refuse to sell to anyone not in their zone.
I wouldn't mind so much if we had access to online stores in New Zealand but the only one is aligned to Kobo books and they have next to nothing in their inventory.
So here I am with a brand new reader and I cannot get any new books for it.
Are any other new Zealand readers having similar problems
I live in Australia, and share your rage.

Have you tried Read Without Paper at http://www.readwithoutpaper.com/ ? It's an Australian store, and they do at least tell you on the front page if there are restrictions.

I was able to buy a book I couldn't get overseas from Borders Australia at http://www.borders.com.au/

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
ronw
Enthusiast

Thanks for the Australian site I will add it to my list of ebook sellers. I finally found a site that would let me download the book I wanted (wont say their name in case it rebounds on them) So it looks as if you keep trying you can find someone to sell. I was almost comtemplating putting in a USA address to try and fool sites but fortunately I did not need to