Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #61
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I must admit that I'm finding this release a lot more laid back than normal...the people here are a lot less piranha like about it...
You mean in terms of wanting it nownownow, or in terms of tearing it apart?

I'm in no hurry for this one - I don't use highlighting, and I'm not really keen to have the manual front Sharpness control taken away. I also don't want to break the two-finger-light-swipe. So no piranhaing here!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #62
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
My Glo updated tonight and I can say that highlighting is worlds better than it used to be. Solid improvement there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
The highlighting is really dramatically better. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have to agree with that. I just looked back at my earlier posts and I missed something about how the highlighting has changed. From Kobo:
Good to know. Now I can't wait for this release
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #63
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sharpness always seemed redundant on a high DPI device like the Aura HD, are they now just snapping to the pixel grid rather than anti-aliasing?
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #64
UnicornSalesman
Nameless Being

I'm excited about the highlighting improvements!

How do I go about getting this firmware on my Kobo Aura?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #65
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornSalesman View Post

When it will be available for you, it will download on the Aura by itself during a regular sync
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #66
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornSalesman View Post

I very much hope somebody captures the dowload site, as I am very eager to sideload it on my Mini!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #67
anavin
Enthusiast
anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O
Hello,

Just updated my Kobo Glo to 3.2.0 and I'd like to say something about it:

I'm a Taiwanese, which means I sideload a lot of Chinese books, and since we are the last country using vertical layout Chinese in the world*, I manually edit my books to be vertical-right-to-left layout.

It is okay until firmware 2.9.0 came, and text selection on my sideload books is malfunction: I can't select any words aside from top of a page, and when I finally select something, another touch on screen deselect everything. Which means I can't highlight texts, can't use dictionaries, not to mention the new features since 2.9.0 (wikipedia, pocket, etc.). So until 3.2.0 I'd been using a downgraded version of firmware.

Anyway I find that the problem does not exist on 3.2.0 anymore: I can select text again! Now that's the first time I feel really satisfied to the Kobo team's works!

*every other Chinese-speaking countries (or zones, whatever) use horizontal layout -- China, Hong Kong, Macau. Kobo supports vertical layout, thanks to the Japanese, who are also using it. BTW this is exactly the main reason why I choose a Kobo reader -- a reader supporting vertical-layout epub.
anavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #68
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
@davidfor:

Although I'll quickly test myself when 3.2.0 is finally available, do you know if the following issues have been solved?
  • Pdf navigation in landscape mode.
I'd completely forgotten about that problem. But, I am very happy to say that it is fixed.
Nope, it's better handled but it's not fully fixed.
+ Touch areas are fixed.
+ Buuut, if you have applied zoom, when you turn pages the focus is kept in the lower left corner instead of upper left one...

Quote:
Quote:
  • page-break-avoid, widows and orphans, @page (other CSS properties?) being ignored in ACCESS...
Unless I messed up my test case, that hasn't changed. I only tried the widows and orphans.
Reconfirmed. Everything as always...

Quote:
Quote:
  • The extra spacing around some punctuation symbols (..., em dash, ) when justifying in ACCESS
I remember the discussion on this. I don't have a test case to show it one way or another.
It's still present as expected.

As a test case for it you can grab my simple test book from here, or you can watch it happen in any English book which contains "..." or dashes.

And now NEW issues within the dictionary calling. The new system which puts the match in the upper or lower part of the screen is much more better. But as expected there are some steps backwards...:
  • There's no way for going to full page dictionary mode by tapping on the definition.
  • Now, try selecting a word without definition (example a derived word like "name"+"ish" to form adjective). As I cannot go to full page mode if I want to look for the meaning of "name", now I have to call the dictionary from the lower right bottom and then type "name". In previous versions I was able to go to the dictionary search from the selection, so I only had to delete the ending of the word... (Much easier. Believe me. I read in English which is not my mother tongue, and "remembering" difficult words in order to type them is much more difficult than deleting ending letters in order to find the meaning of the root).

Frustrated. It's just incredible how Kobo cannot update anything without adding new issues...
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #69
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
And now NEW issues within the dictionary calling. The new system which puts the match in the upper or lower part of the screen is much more better. But as expected there are some steps backwards...:
  • There's no way for going to full page dictionary mode by tapping on the definition.
You can get to the full page dictionary from the popup definition by long-pressing the word in the definition.

Edit:
Quote:
  • Now, try selecting a word without definition (example a derived word like "name"+"ish" to form adjective). As I cannot go to full page mode if I want to look for the meaning of "name", now I have to call the dictionary from the lower right bottom and then type "name". In previous versions I was able to go to the dictionary search from the selection, so I only had to delete the ending of the word... (Much easier. Believe me. I read in English which is not my mother tongue, and "remembering" difficult words in order to type them is much more difficult than deleting ending letters in order to find the meaning of the root).
If you have selected "nameish" and there is no definition, you can move the selection handles to leave out the "ish" and get the definition for "name". From there you can get to the full page dictionary by long-pressing "name" in the definition, and enter a word without retyping "name" by tapping the magnifying glass icon at the top left of the full page definition.

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-25-2014 at 11:25 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #70
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You can get to the full page dictionary from the popup definition by long-pressing the word in the definition.

Edit:

If you have selected "nameish" and there is no definition, you can move the selection handles to leave out the "ish" and get the definition for "name". From there you can get to the full page dictionary by long-pressing "name" in the definition, and enter a word without retyping "name" by tapping the magnifying glass icon at the top left of the full page definition.
Good hints!!!!!!

You cannot imagine how glad I am about being wrong, specially with the second one.

arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #71
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
> highlight text across multiple pages

This only works for kepubs, right?
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #72
Inferio
Inferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to beholdInferio is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Hey guys,
I update my Glo today from 3.0.1 to 3.2.0 and my Pocket app simply disappeared. Any ideas? (the same thing happened to me when I went from 3.0.1 to 3.1.0 and I solved it by going back to 3.0.1)
Inferio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #73
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I get the vertical thing but why right to left? It's the same in Japan. When Chinese writing was invented were most people left handed or something?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #74
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Oops, I meant to quote anavin's post.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #75
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I juste updated, so I'll have to try it, but there's something I thought I had read : is it still not possible to zoom in an epub image ? (still a kepub-only option ?) Or am I just being stupid ? That's something I'm longing for as I don't want to change my epub to kepub via calibre for the sake of the pages numbering for example (I just don't care how much pages till the end of the chapter or what ever it gives).

A lot of thanks for those who grabbed the links to the update
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote