Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Touch screen -a problem?

Hi.

I'm strongly considering buying a Nook simple touch because of the reviews I've seen on youtube about it being quicker than Kindle, and the update making it even quicker/sharper and rooting it making it yet even better... so it sounds pretty damn good to me.

But. I've also heard a comment about it sucks to accidentally press the screen and thus make it turn a page when you don't want to. Is this something that happens often or do you learn to keep your fingers away? Is it annoying etc?

I don't own any device yet.
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I have rooted my nook touch and now use coolreader app for reading. You can disable touch screen while reading in coolreader. I had a non touch reader before so sometimes did touch the screen by mistake but now that I am using coolreader I can just disable touch screen.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
The space around the screen is large enough that you don't really need to worry about accidentally touching the screen while holding it, I find.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I found myself doing that when I first bought it, but after a few months, I don't have that problem any longer.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I've not had this problem since the bezel is large and I've never accidentally touched the screen when picking up the device. The often-hated "stiff" page buttons actually work in your favor here, as you can pick up the device by the bezel, touching the physical page-turn buttons, and still not accidentally page (unless you're gripping with unreasonable force). This in comparison to my wife's Kindle 3 that has super sensitive page-turning buttons. I've been conditioned to always hold devices by their bezel because of touch input thanks to phones, tablets, and the Nook STR, but every single time I grab her kindle by the bezel I end up going forward or back by 2-3 pages.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I very occasionally have the problem (of accidentally touching the screen and having an unwanted page turn), but as others have said, the device has a pretty wide margin around the screen, so it is easy to get used to it and avoid unwanted turns.

Also, the touch screen is a great feature to have, IMHO. If you are going to have such a feature and use it, you do have to be careful not to touch the screen when you don't want a turn. How else could it work? If they made it less sensitive, people (myself included) would be complaining how hard you have to press it to get a page turn - like one of those awful early touch screens (resistance, I think they call it).

Last edited by RAH; 11-23-2011 at 10:19 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote