Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
better keep your warranty. i think it will have a use some time.

Last edited by b_k; 08-20-2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: reason should be obvious
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
I would not call this even a hack attempt, so I want to believe that warranty is kept. Also I have suggested at iRex forums they could offer a personal non-disclosure agreement if a way to repair it does exist but it is experimental; they promised a restore option some weeks ago.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
i don't think they are so happy with the idea of having "advanced" users browsing around in the root directory.

On the other hand it is, from my point of view, bad design of there Viewers/Filemanager if they write manifests and move files you open in every path, instead of having them limited to fixed paths (/mnt/card ... and subfolders) of external or internal memory, in which the system can't be harmed.

This is a point that speeks for having a SSH connection available at least over the wired interface, until the system knows it booted up ok (Devicemanager or what their GUI is called is up and running). If I had a shell, i could easily fix this myself.

Last edited by b_k; 08-20-2006 at 02:32 PM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #19
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
On the other hand it is, from my point of view, bad design of there Viewers/Filemanager if they write manifests and move files you open in every path, instead of having them limited to fixed paths (/mnt/card ... and subfolders) of external or internal memory, in which the system can't be harmed, like mine.
Yep, they should to put the manifest and extra files as a hidden ".filename" associated to a "filename". It is a very old issue, coming from the age of MacOS "Resource Folder".
Old 08-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

But now macs use "bundles" which are somewhat similar to iRex approach. Basically the allow a folder (=directory in Windows terms ) to be seen as a single file in the file-browser. This way you can bundle multiple files. E.g. every application is in fact a bundle, containing the executable, all resources, libraries, etc.

So I kind of like the manifest-folder kind of thing, as on the mac, you could just mark this manifest-folder as bundle, so the user sees it as a single file
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
ouch, that hurts, b_k.

I really hope they don't make you pay. And i really really hope they give you and/or all of us a way to reflash it ourselves.

But try to clear the screen if it doesn't boot anymore by resetting at the right moment. They had to replace my screen due to the slight burn-in from showing the boot screen. -.-
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #22
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusmi
But now macs use "bundles" which are somewhat similar to iRex approach. Basically the allow a folder (=directory in Windows terms ) to be seen as a single file in the file-browser. This way you can bundle multiple files. E.g. every application is in fact a bundle, containing the executable, all resources, libraries, etc.

So I kind of like the manifest-folder kind of thing, as on the mac, you could just mark this manifest-folder as bundle, so the user sees it as a single file
First macOS used a different concept, the "fork". Standar open of a file opened the "data fork", while a special open opened the "resource fork", which it turn contained the "folders" of resources. Additionaly the file system need a 512 bytes head for each file in order to keep track of the forks. As I said, it has evolved...