Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
user
Connoisseur
user began at the beginning.

Device: Benq P51
thanks for your great feedback!
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My computer monitor is 1600x1200 at 4:3. It's a Samsung. I got it just before wide screen monitors came into fashion. I rather like having more lines.

I think there may not be any more 1920x1200 laptops.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #48
user
Connoisseur

I read in my 1600x900 desktop monitor this article, zoomed in "actual size" scale:
http://people.umass.edu/bioch623/623...0vonheijne.pdf

the result is disappointing (if you want me, I can upload a screenshot), the fonts are hardly visible and dull, and reading it, is very hard

if I magnify it at 125%, things are alot better

so even a 14" tablet wont be ideal for pdf reading?? this is very disappointing
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #49
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it we can get high resolution tablets yet laptops have piss poor resolution?
I'd love a laptop with a high resolution screen, but I don't think I can afford it now. Apple and Sony offer laptops with high resolution screens, but they are pricey.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #50
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post

so even a 14" tablet wont be ideal for pdf reading?? this is very disappointing
I find the iPad (especially 3gen with retina) perfect for PDF reading and annotation.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #51
user
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I find the iPad (especially 3gen with retina) perfect for PDF reading and annotation.
can you confirm about this pdf as well?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'd love a laptop with a high resolution screen, but I don't think I can afford it now. Apple and Sony offer laptops with high resolution screens, but they are pricey.
HDTV has dammed computer monitors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #53
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
can you confirm about this pdf as well?
Yes, this reads very well on my iPad. I would definitely go with the iPad 3gen if you can afford it - due to the retina screen, it's much better for reading pdfs (especially with small font) than iPad2.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #54
user
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Yes, this reads very well on my iPad. I would definitely go with the iPad 3gen if you can afford it - due to the retina screen, it's much better for reading pdfs (especially with small font) than iPad2.
Without having to scroll?

Sorry for asking again, but this is crucial for me and i want to make sure
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Really depends on your eyesight. The resolution on the iPad 3 is high enough that if you've got good near vision, you wouldn't have to zoom in and pan around even if there's 6pt font in the page. That's one of the reasons why I upgraded from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3.

I've got excellent near vision and I can say the same about the Asus TF700T (10.1" 1920x1200). However, the page/text is definitely smaller on that one if you have a PDF with an aspect ratio close to 3:4. Heck, even on the Nexus 7 (7" 1280x800), I was able to read the PDF you linked to (although reading the smaller text did become a bit more uncomfortable).

My suggestion, go to a brick and mortar store and try them out. In case the store you go to restricts internet access, on the Transformer, you could try to see if the microSD slot is open and use that.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #56
jojoba
Addict

Quote:

For me, yes, but it depends what you are comfortable with. I would go to a shop and just test it out if I were you.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #57
user
Connoisseur

I just returned from store where i tried ipad3, yeah, it is ashtonishingly excellent

I will definately buy it, the only problem i see, is ipad4 coming out, which is rumored to have a pen input support (extremely interesting) and maybe expandable memory?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #58
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
there has not been any rumor with even a smidgen of possibility that a new iPad whether small or large would have a pen digitizer. If thats what is holding you back from buying then have no fear.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #59
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
I just returned from store where i tried ipad3, yeah, it is ashtonishingly excellent

I will definately buy it, the only problem i see, is ipad4 coming out, which is rumored to have a pen input support (extremely interesting) and maybe expandable memory?
I highly doubt the next iPad will come with expandable memory. Apple is making huge money on keeping things the way they are.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #60
user
Connoisseur

how well can you sketch, write, mark, etc with a stylus in ipad3?