Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That makes sense.

On a side note... Since Calibre has the capability of automatically including "last page read" feature during conversion why not just convert and side-load via Calibre? I do this regularly and am able to sync among devices. Why go to the trouble with pdocs (for books) and lack of covers, if you do not have to?
It's syncs bookmarks, notes and highlights too not just last read.
I have to hook all 3 Kindles up to USB each time I add books daily seeing Kindle 3 is upstairs, K4 is in the other room and Kindle Fire is with me or upstairs. It's just a real hassle and defeats the purpose of having a Kindle in each spot as I go through my day when I can send the book via WiFi to all Kindles at one time using email or Send To Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #47
mkgtu
Zealot
mkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolate

Device: Currently:Voyage, Oasis 3, Kindle mobile apps, andKindle Fire
Am having same trouble with covers. But in addition, I cannot sync furthest page read properly with Personal Documents. It only works one way. Furthest page read on Fire will sync to Kindle Keyboard, but not from Keyboard to Fire. Bookmarks, however will sync both ways. Amazon tech support says this is by design! Crazy.
For what it's worth, this is the message I sent to Amazon Feedback:
Sync of Personal Documents on Kindle Fire NOT AS ADVERTISED. It won't sync FROM anything but another Kindle Fire.
I can close a book (non Amazon, but emailed and converted through Personal Doc Service) on the Fire, and when I open that same book on my Kindle Keyboard it will sync to the furthest page read on the Fire. But it won't work the other way around. That is, close the book on the Keyboard, and open it on the Fire, it will not sync to the furthest page read from the Keyboard. It says I am already at the furthest location across all my devices. NOT TRUE.
I called customer service, was transferred to tech support, and was told that the 2-way syncing of Personal Documents works ONLY BETWEEN TWO KINDLE FIRES. To me this makes no sense at all. Why would I own 2 Kindle Fires for my own personal use in the first place? And if two of us on the same account owned Fires, we'd probably turn off the syncing feature anyway to avoid confusion in reading the same documents or books.
The deal with the new 6.3 update seemed to indicate that this syncing of Personal Docs worked among all supported devices and apps. That does not seem to be the case.
Strangely it DOES SYNC BOOKMARKS. So if I remember to do it, I can bookmark the last page read on the Keyboard and it WILL show up among the "Notes and Marks" on the Kindle Fire when I open the book. However, my point is that I shouldn't have to do that (and will often forget to). Your info says it should also automatically sync the furthest page read, yet it definitely does not.
Here is what it said on the Amazon website:

"Whispersync for Personal Documents
Whispersync allows you to sync your notes, highlights, bookmarks, AND FURTHEST PAGE READ on your personal documents that have been converted to Kindle format using Kindle Personal Documents Service. Kindle Personal Documents Service also stores your personal documents in your Kindle Library for viewing and downloading to supported Kindle devices and Kindle reading applications. These features are currently supported on Kindle Fire, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch with Kindle app version 2.9 or greater.

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT TRUE AS REGARDS THE SYNCING OF FURTHEST PAGE READ AMONG ALL SUPPORTED DEVICES. THE FIRE IS ONLY SUPPORTED "ONE-WAY" among ALL devices, and TWO WAY only among FIRES! This is really not terribly helpful.
mkgtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #48
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgtu View Post
Am having same trouble with covers. But in addition, I cannot sync furthest page read properly with Personal Documents. It only works one way. Furthest page read on Fire will sync to Kindle Keyboard, but not from Keyboard to Fire.
I'm having this exact problem with my Fire & Touch. I haven't noticed whether bookmarks sync, but without two-way location sync it doesn't matter. Guess I'm back to sideloading.

I'm also having the cover problem. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when and where it shows a cover vs. the black text on a white background. That's annoying, but not a deal-breaker for me. The lack of location sync is.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here It was working when 6.3 came out but as of a few days ago two way sync on Last Read no longer works. Only Fire to Kindle is working.

Syncing Bookmarks works both ways.
Additional bug I have found. When clicking on importing bookmarks from Kindle to the Fire the place in book it takes you to loses random formatting. sometimes it's margins that is everything is shifted left and other times it's italics and bold. The only way to get it back is use the GoTo function and enter the location of the bookmark manually.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
I'm also having the cover problem. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when and where it shows a cover vs. the black text on a white background. That's annoying, but not a deal-breaker for me. The lack of location sync is.
Here's how to temp fix white covers. Wait till it's late at night. I do mine around 3AM then turn WiFi on and tap on the gear then applications\All apps\ Kindle App\ Clear Data then hit Home.
Do not do anything while it's syncing. Once it's done go to the doc tab and the covers should be fixed now. It may take doing this twice to fix them all.

If it's a carousel cover missing. After clearing Kindle Data click on the book that shows the white cover on the carousel. If it's not fix, clear the cover off the carousel then click on gear hit sync twice then go to doc tab and tap the book again and the cover should show correctly on the carousel.

Don't ask me why it works but it does but only if clearing data syncing is finished and successful. Now if you do this and there is one book that refuses to show it's cover in docs it's the cover is too big in width. Go back to Calibre and change the cover to the Amazon cover for the book then resend to your Fire.

Lit to mobi covers always have a problem and have to be replaced.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #51
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Here's how to temp fix white covers. Wait till it's late at night. I do mine around 3AM then turn WiFi on and tap on the gear then applications\All apps\ Kindle App\ Clear Data then hit Home.
Do not do anything while it's syncing. Once it's done go to the doc tab and the covers should be fixed now. It may take doing this twice to fix them all.
Thanks for the tip. I tried it just now (1am Pacific time) and it mostly worked. The first two times I tried it didn't help. The third time, instead of hitting home after clearing the data I shut the Fire down. When I restarted, it showed covers for all books everywhere, except for one on the carousel. What's weird is that was one of the books that was working before. Now it doesn't even have the generic cover with text; it just shows a gray rectangle. If I add it to my favorites the cover shows fine there, but still not on the carousel. Your trick for fixing that doesn't seem to help. I wouldn't be surprised if it fixed itself in the near future.

Sigh, what a buggy release. A lot of people seem to be having trouble with covers and regardless of what support told mkgtu, there's no way one-way syncing is intentional.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #52
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I had the same problem on iPad... I figured out that it was on Amazons side because the preview covers of mailed in docs that the app used to generate were gone as well, a complete delete, reboot, reinstall helped solve the problem (for now, i had it before, it all started with version 3 of the app)... But i suspect you cant do that on the Fire.
The customer support had to following to say on the issue:
"We can't restored back the feature on your device."
Whatever that means... (for a company that is dealing with books, this is just embarrassing)
I suspect they dont care to much about the whole issue because what would you mainly want covers for? Books from other sites, which is money lost to amazon...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
Thanks for the tip. I tried it just now (1am Pacific time) and it mostly worked. The first two times I tried it didn't help. The third time, instead of hitting home after clearing the data I shut the Fire down. When I restarted, it showed covers for all books everywhere, except for one on the carousel. What's weird is that was one of the books that was working before. Now it doesn't even have the generic cover with text; it just shows a gray rectangle. If I add it to my favorites the cover shows fine there, but still not on the carousel. Your trick for fixing that doesn't seem to help. I wouldn't be surprised if it fixed itself in the near future.

Sigh, what a buggy release. A lot of people seem to be having trouble with covers and regardless of what support told mkgtu, there's no way one-way syncing is intentional.
Grey covers usually mean the sync wasn't fully successful. It sometimes does fix itself but I usually just tap clear data again.

6.3 is the buggiest release they have given us. I don't think it was fully tested before released. Cover issues, Kindle Reader losing formatting when using bookmarks, Sync not working and significant battery drain are just to name some I've come across.

Is there an email address for Fire bugs? There is no way I can type all that in their little app.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #54
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Grey covers usually mean the sync wasn't fully successful. It sometimes does fix itself but I usually just tap clear data again.

6.3 is the buggiest release they have given us. I don't think it was fully tested before released. Cover issues, Kindle Reader losing formatting when using bookmarks, Sync not working and significant battery drain are just to name some I've come across.

Is there an email address for Fire bugs? There is no way I can type all that in their little app.
kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com

I have not experienced a battery drain problem, but everything else needs to be fixed!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com

I have not experienced a battery drain problem, but everything else needs to be fixed!
It happens when WiFi is left on and you come out of sleep.
Thanks gonna send them a long email.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #56
OddCosine
Connoisseur

Geez, this is getting worse and worse. I did the clear data thing and the covers of almost all of the books in my favorites turned into gray rectangles and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it. This includes both books I emailed and books from Amazon. I'll try again in the wee hours.

I now have a new appreciation for the text on white background covers; at least I can tell what's what.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #57
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
In Amazon's defence the PDoc archive was never meant to be used this way.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #58
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
You are right but for those of us using pdocs for docs, and not books, would still like it to function correctly.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I think that's a little incorrect. It's been working that way with my K3 and my K4 since last October. I don't why it can't work that way on the KF.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #60
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
I think that's a little incorrect. It's been working that way with my K3 and my K4 since last October. I don't why it can't work that way on the KF.
You missed the point of his/her post. What he/she means is that Amazon did not implement this feature, whether it be on a K3, K4 or Fire, for the primary purpose of side-loading books not purchased from Amazon.