Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Need help deciding....

I'm looking to upgrade my Sony PRS-300, and there are features between this and the kindle that I like.

I'm really leaning towards the nook.

I like the color book covers, but are they only there for books bought at the B&N store, or say, whatever I put on there from Calibre.

I'm also reading ALOT of bad press about it breaking...I use mine alot, I don't want it to break. How often to the buttons really break on them?

I'm also interesting in the "lending" thing. Can that be used with books that were not purchased with B&N Store?

Any help would be great!!

EDIT: Oh, not worried about 3G, that would get me in too much trouble! LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Battery only lasts 8-12hrs reading
If battery life is not a problem for you then it's good
If you need more than 20hrs between charges get a Kindle or Sony

Book covers is just a gimmick and only works for Books sold by B&N unless you softroot it.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I've been doing alot of more extensive research since posting...and I'm even leaning towards the new Kindle when it comes out, the better contrast intrigues me...but I don't like the fact they don't do ePub...but that can be fixed with calibre or book designer.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
1) The "cover flow" effects are, at the moment, restricted to the B&N Store items, and books loaded from calibre are separated to a "My Documents" view. If you softroot your nook (think jailbreaking) you can get the cover flow effect on all books, and they all can be viewed in a single library. *However* the softrooted cover flow is a bit of a work in progress, and not really a feature I thought was worth it. I removed the softroot after a single day, personally

Having said all this, if you are wanting to get a nook you might as well buy from the Barnes and Noble store. It lack choice of formats, but its probably a safer option in terms of DRM, and the convenience is also there of just having it appear on there. Also the symmetry of using Barnes and Noble books on a B&N eReader. And this is coming from an Australian who has to jump hoops to buy B&N books

2) Regarding the button cracking, I haven't personally had a problem, but if you're really concerned I would do a poll around the forum. I believe this is also covered under warranty...(if this is false I'm sure someone will correct me)

3) It should be noted that the "Lend Me" feature is in beta, first. Also the LendMe is not solely on the nook but it is a feature tied to your B&N account, so yes it is restricted to the Barnes and Noble store. It also has a few restrictions on it too, like the fact that not all books support it AND each book can only be lent out once, for two weeks after which you will be allowed to read it again (you cannot open or read the book when it is being lent).

If there's anything else I and many others will be glad to help you out
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Hmm...the more and more I read, the more and more I'm NOT liking the nook, it's too restrictive it seems. And the battery life is a concern as well. Perhaps the Sony 600 is going to be the better option?
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Thanks, I've been doing alot of more extensive research since posting...and I'm even leaning towards the new Kindle when it comes out, the better contrast intrigues me...but I don't like the fact they don't do ePub...but that can be fixed with calibre or book designer.
I believe MOBI format works on the Kindle.
But I don't own a Kindle so can't confirm.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

Yeah, it does mobi. I've all but ruled out the Nook at this point, the only good thing I see with it is the ability to go into the store and read books for free on the nook.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

Calibre can happily transfer between PDF, MOBI and EPUB (without DRM)

So as long as you get books withour DRM, Nook/Kindle/Sony are equally good formatwise.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard

Yeah I use Calibre alot, and I use Book Designer to edit and make files to my liking. I'm just looking for features that would make things a bit more enjoyable...Nook does have some good things....but it seems it's just too buggy at this point in time.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
3) It should be noted that the "Lend Me" feature is in beta, first. Also the LendMe is not solely on the nook but it is a feature tied to your B&N account, so yes it is restricted to the Barnes and Noble store. It also has a few restrictions on it too, like the fact that not all books support it AND each book can only be lent out once, for two weeks after which you will be allowed to read it again (you cannot open or read the book when it is being lent).
You do not need the "Lend Me" feature to share books with family and friends.
The B&N social DRM does not tie your books to any hardware or software ID.
You can copy the B&N books to any Nook and B&N reader, and open them by entering the credit card number and name books are encrypted with.
This way you can share all your books as many times as you like.
This is the big advantage of the B&N DRM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The main issue I see with the nook is battery life. Its format support is superior to the sony. You can read b and n drm epub, adobe epub and pdf, and ereader drm books. It can also read the non drm variants. Unlike the sony it can also read library epubs and pdfs at the same time. It offers the most book buying flexibility of any ereader currently on the market.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

Well, the biggest problem I see in general is DRM. I can't stand it, if I buy it, I should be able to use it regardless, it's why I strip it as soon as I buy something with DRM.

I'm one of "those" people that buy the books because they look good on my shelf, and I want to support the authors and "find" it elsewhere for my e-Reader. So the support in formats don't really matter I can convert and edit them...BUT the library thing does seem interesting. It's something to think about.

The battery life right now is a game loser for me so far.