Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Rob Ireton
organism
Rob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here's how I installed Sigil 0.7.1 on Ubuntu 12.10 (64-bit) These will be slightly different for 32-bit systems.

install build tools:
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake

download & install Qt 5.0.1 for Linux from http://qt-project.org/downloads
$ wget http://releases.qt-project.org/qt5/5.0.1/qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86_64-offline.run
$ chmod +x qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86_64-offline.run
$ sudo ./qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86_64-offline.run

create source directories & get the Sigil source
$ mkdir -p ~/src/Sigil-0.7.1 ~/src/sigil-build
$ cd ~/src/Sigil-0.7.1
$ wget https://sigil.googlecode.com/files/Sigil-0.7.1-Code.zip
$ unzip Sigil-0.7.1-Code.zip

figure out where the Qt cmake files are:
$ find /opt -name Qt5CoreConfig.cmake

tell cmake where to find the Qt installation (based on previous)
$ export CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc_64/lib/cmake

follow general instructions in ~/src/Sigil-0.7.1/INSTALL.txt
$ cd ../sigil-build
$ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../Sigil-0.7.1
$ make

(go make some tea, it will take a while to build all the parts)
$ sudo make install

if you try to run sigil now, it will complain that it can't find some Qt shared libraries. I think the best way to solve this is to adjust the sigil.desktop file in /usr/local/share/applications

figure out where the shared libraries are:
$ find /opt -name libQt5Widgets.so.5

edit sigil.desktop
$ gksudo gedit /usr/local/share/applications/sigil.desktop &

change the line
Exec=sigil
to
Exec=env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc_64/lib /usr/local/bin/sigil %F
(or wherever the last find command gave you) and save

now you should be able to use Nautilus (the file browser) to navigate to /usr/local/share/applications and start sigil from the icon there. You can then pin this to your Unity launcher!
Rob Ireton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I am running Debian Sid with KDE desktop. I installed Qt5.0.1 from the .run packages here. After making sure it was executable (chmod +x Qt*.run) I ran it as root using the graphical script. By running as root, I was able to install it to /opt/Qt5.0.1 and so keep it out of the way of the Qt4 installed on the system. If you don't run it as root, you can install it somewhere in your home directory, which will probably serve as well.

To tell cmake where it is, you use the following on the command line:

Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc/lib/cmake/ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DFORCE_BUNDLED_COPIES=1 sigil
where "sigil" is the directory containing the source code, and the pertinent directive to tell cmake where Qt5 is, is "-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc/lib/cmake/ "

HTH
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
jebradley
jebradley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you, St_Albert. I have been bashing my head against the wall trying various permutations of things to no avail, until I saw your post.

The INSTALL.txt file, and the Sigil_User_Guide_0_7_0.epub need to be edited to reflect this.

Thank you again.
jebradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebradley View Post
Thank you, St_Albert. I have been bashing my head against the wall trying various permutations of things to no avail, until I saw your post.

The INSTALL.txt file, and the Sigil_User_Guide_0_7_0.epub need to be edited to reflect this.
Did you try http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/RunningFromSource ?

I don't think there is anything in the guide that refers to building for linux except for the link above. The install.txt file may need to be updated though.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
whenster
whenster began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ireton View Post
if you try to run sigil now, it will complain that it can't find some Qt shared libraries. I think the best way to solve this is to adjust the sigil.desktop file in /usr/local/share/applications

figure out where the shared libraries are:

edit sigil.desktop
$ gksudo gedit /usr/local/share/applications/sigil.desktop &

change the line
Exec=sigil
to
Exec=env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc_64/lib /usr/local/bin/sigil %F
(or wherever the last find command gave you) and save

now you should be able to use Nautilus (the file browser) to navigate to /usr/local/share/applications and start sigil from the icon there. You can then pin this to your Unity launcher!
I cannot get the sigil.desktop to execute. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Installed Qt5.0.2 to /opt/Qt5.0.2 but installed Sigil to opt/sigil rather than /usr/local

gives
/opt/Qt5.0.2/5.0.2/gcc/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5
find: ‘/opt/Qt5.0.2/5.0.2/gcc/examples’: Permission denied
/opt/Qt5.0.2/Tools/QtCreator/lib/qtcreator/libQt5Widgets.so.5

So what command do I use to edit the line Exex=sigil in /opt/sigil/share/applications/sigil.desktop

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit system. Installed cmake-2.8.10.2 (built from source) to /opt/cmake.

Last edited by whenster; 04-14-2013 at 04:25 PM.
whenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
Rob Ireton
organism
Rob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watchRob Ireton is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenster View Post
So what command do I use to edit the line Exex=sigil in /opt/sigil/share/applications/sigil.desktop
You might be able to use
Exec=env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Qt5.0.2/5.0.2/gcc/lib sigil
(make sure it's Exec=, not Exex=)
but you can use
find /opt/sigil -name sigil -type f
to get the full path to your executable
Rob Ireton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #22
whenster
whenster began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 FBReader
Thanks for clarifying the code.