Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Any suggestions on good free emulators for proofreading?

Per pdurrant and mrmikel's advice I need to do some proofreading, but I don't have any e-reader devices. I do have Nook for PC and Kindle for PC, but are there any other free ones out there that would be better?

Thanks,

Bear
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd check it in Adobe Digital Editions, and for Kindle use Kindle Previewer as it will emulate various Kindle devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks Brian, will do. LOL on the Twain quote--true!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Don't forget the Sony Reader Library. Download the old edition not the new one. The old one allows you to bring up the book and check it and then with a button click go back to the file list on your computer so the Reader Library software won't keep hold of the book so you can't save it in Sigil (or anything else.) This may apply to other reader type software too.

There really is no better unless you prefer one reader to another. They all have flaws and differences in how they handle identical and theoretically correct material.

If you have a smartphone there are epub readers for those, so you might try some. I have a dumb cell phone and happy with it...at least it doesn't seat dial!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

thanks, mrmikel, I'll check out the Sony. That saving ability sounds like a nice feature.

Bear
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For quick proofreading, I just open my html in my web browser, which happens to be Google Chrome. I enlarge the font so it approximates the book as it appears on my Fire tablet. Works well for me.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hey Brian

I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions 2 and I really like proofreading on it. But it somehow turned ALL my epub files (incl. the ones I did not open in Adobe) into its brown logo and somehow (in the "properties") made them only to be opened with Adobe. (When I went to open a epub file in Nook for PC it wouldn't open.) So I went into "properties" and selected (just sort of arbitrarily) for the files to be opened with Nook for PC and now they seem to be getting opened by anything so it's cool. (I guess. lol) Any sort of experience with something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd check it in Adobe Digital Editions, and for Kindle use Kindle Previewer as it will emulate various Kindle devices.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

hey Notjohn

But what do you proofread your epubs on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
For quick proofreading, I just open my html in my web browser, which happens to be Google Chrome. I enlarge the font so it approximates the book as it appears on my Fire tablet. Works well for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Any sort of experience with something similar?
Nope, never had that happen.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

ok

Thanks. It's all working so I'm not worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Nope, never had that happen.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There is an epubreader add on for firefox.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
For basic "proofreading" - checking that my "i"s are dotted and "t's" crossed - I just use Sigil. That way I can change any mistakes I see right away. I also proof it in code view, that way I don't run across any of the   issues.

For checking the "formatting" I use ADE and Kindle Previewer and as many iOS apps as I can get to load an ePub.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

? for you

I checked out the Sony Reader Library and saw that they had several older editions (I just want to make sure I get the right version). It seemed the second to last version was ver. 3.2, but then I saw (on here actually) that people had had problems with 3.2. Anyway, if you could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Don't forget the Sony Reader Library. Download the old edition not the new one. The old one allows you to bring up the book and check it and then with a button click go back to the file list on your computer so the Reader Library software won't keep hold of the book so you can't save it in Sigil (or anything else.) This may apply to other reader type software too.

There really is no better unless you prefer one reader to another. They all have flaws and differences in how they handle identical and theoretically correct material.

If you have a smartphone there are epub readers for those, so you might try some. I have a dumb cell phone and happy with it...at least it doesn't seat dial!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

By "formatting" you just mean how it looks (margins, indents etc)? And yes, it's efficient but isn't it kind of tough proofreading in code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
For basic "proofreading" - checking that my "i"s are dotted and "t's" crossed - I just use Sigil. That way I can change any mistakes I see right away. I also proof it in code view, that way I don't run across any of the   issues.

For checking the "formatting" I use ADE and Kindle Previewer and as many iOS apps as I can get to load an ePub.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
By "formatting" you just mean how it looks (margins, indents etc)? And yes, it's efficient but isn't it kind of tough proofreading in code?
You don't need to use code view in Sigil to proof a book.