Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Leoric1991
Leoric1991 began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story
Plastic Logic Que Reader Vs Ipad

Hey guys, Im kinda stuck in a dilemma now, I cant seem to choose between the Que Reader and the Ipad even when i know that both products are like 3 months away from release. Let me explain why i cant seem to choose between them, first;
The Ipad which looks like a remarkable & capable device, can handle anything from movies, music and images to books, mails, newspapers etc. The device really is attractive but its downside is that its a backlit screen which really puts me off about the "book and newspaper" aspect of it, however then there is the Que Reader, which is in my opinion ideal for educational purposes with its awesome big screen and its capability to read almost any file. Which in my mind I'd like to focus more on education(Que) than temporary pleasure(Ipad). The decision is still hard to make whether to choose the Que Reader's educational and "book" aspects or the Ipad visual and auditory aspect.
In other words ideally I'd like to get more educated and education is what i see when i think about the Que Reader and pleasure is what i see when i think about Ipad.

I could really use some helpful advice, tell me your thoughts about this and I'll hope to gather something from your comments, thanks.
Leoric1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Have you looked at the eDGe from Entourage Systems? About the same price as the ipad but offers more features. Some of us here have placed orders for the eDGe and are expecting delivery within 2 - 3 weeks. Also, some of us here expect the eDGe to be a very good device for the price and to easily outperform the Apple ipad and Que Reader. I suggest that you check the eDGe out before making your decision.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
At this point it really comes down to your personal preferences. The software on the iPad will be better, and it can do more things. The screen on the Que will be better, and will be easier to read on under good lighting.

None of us can really decide for you, this is a personal choice.

I would like to state that I am in a similar dilemma choosing between the iRex DR800SG and the iPad. I am going to buy whichever one is released first, and use it until shortly after the other is released. I doubt selling either will be a problem; they're quality hardware and I'm sure I can find someone on this forum who wants whichever one I don't end up using as much.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Leoric1991

Thanks for the responses. After looking at the eDGe, i found it to be to confusing even though it seems kinda cool. The iRex DR800SG however looks very interesting and appropiate for my taste. Thanks for sharing these other devices so i could widen my choices.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I find it hard to compare a dedicated reading device with something like the iPad which is more of a MID (mobile internet device) than a ebook reading device. However, if you are considering a device to read books/documents on, get one that serves that purpose well. Out of your two choices, it would have to be the Que Reader (whenever and if ever it comes out).

I personally bought into a e-ink device because of the paper-like display. I don't want to kill my eyes reading from another backlit display when I do enough of it programming or animating.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Leoric1991

Alright thanks for your input, appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Wait until the other large screen e-readers come out before the summer. There is one called the Skiff reader. There are also other manufacturers such as Jinke and Netronix. These models will be rebranded and used by several vendors. There is also a possibility that Amazon will release an updated model to the Kindle DX. If I were you, I would wait a bit longer.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The good thing is that you will be able to physically look at both readers before you decide. Of course the iPad will be available in Apple stores and probably other outlets. The Que will be sold in B&N stores.

If you can hold out wait until you play with both.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Wait until the other large screen e-readers come out before the summer. There is one called the Skiff reader. There are also other manufacturers such as Jinke and Netronix. These models will be rebranded and used by several vendors. There is also a possibility that Amazon will release an updated model to the Kindle DX. If I were you, I would wait a bit longer.
All the e-Ink devices are probably on their way out due to the transflective screens (such as Pixel Qi). Waiting is good advice, but it will probably be two years before the market has settled enough to really be sure of getting the best device for your needs. Just pick whatever suits you.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
All the e-Ink devices are probably on their way out due to the transflective screens (such as Pixel Qi). Waiting is good advice, but it will probably be two years before the market has settled enough to really be sure of getting the best device for your needs. Just pick whatever suits you.
Pixel Qi is not going to wipe out EPD. Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers seem convinced that 2010 and probably 2011 will see the EPD market grow extremely quickly.

I hope they're wrong, and that IMOD, EWD, and LCD will cut into the market in dominant products to erode the genericism that the E-Ink name has established.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
As much as I don't like recommending Apple to people, I think the iPad is simply a better deal than the Que. The only thing that I think really sours me on the iPad, other than the OS, is the lack of USB or expansion/storage ports.

The Que would be equally (or more) attractive if it weren't so bloody slow and unresponsive, but neither device is optimal for me. In situations such as that, I say go with the one that makes you wait less. Whenever I see a device demonstration like for the Que, I laugh when the demonstrator has to wave their hand in front of the screen or fake-press or otherwise distract viewers from the atrocious wait times to change documents or flip pages. Some people are able to convince themselves it's no big deal, but I am not nearly as patient. I'm sure some will excuse it with "Well it still takes less time than it takes me to go to the store, buy a newspaper and unfold it LOL"...
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
Leoric1991

Do you guys really believe that the Que is worth it? I mean if I'm to buy it especially with the amount of money it requires, do you think its worth it considering all the aspects of it shown in various videos.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
electrotype
Enthusiast
electrotype began at the beginning.

Device: none
We're all waiting for real reviews!
electrotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Whenever I see a device demonstration like for the Que, I laugh when the demonstrator has to wave their hand in front of the screen or fake-press or otherwise distract viewers from the atrocious wait times to change documents or flip pages. Some people are able to convince themselves it's no big deal, but I am not nearly as patient. I'm sure some will excuse it with "Well it still takes less time than it takes me to go to the store, buy a newspaper and unfold it LOL"...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoric1991 View Post
Do you guys really believe that the Que is worth it? I mean if I'm to buy it especially with the amount of money it requires, do you think its worth it considering all the aspects of it shown in various videos.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, que reader