Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #181
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
Some of the epubs in this thread (The Battlestar Galactica ones for example) do not resize either in ADE on my Windows machine or on my Sony505.
Three men in a boat however works fine.
What stops some epubs with embedded fonts from resizing (S M L)?
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #182
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
That's my fault, I just realized a few days ago that, when I used fixed point size for font definitions in the CSS files, the ePub book font was not resizeable anymore.
The solution is to use percentage, or ems, but the inconvenient is that it is a relative size definition... So whenever you want to change the global font size, instead of changing only the absolute font size (in points) in the body declaration, and leaving the relative definitions as is, you have to change _everything_... and this is a huge pain in the ***.
Luckily, there is a Calibre option for this, which is "font size key" ... Using this when converting a file to Epub, Calibre automatically replaces all the relative font sizes.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #183
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
Thanks for the info.
Problem solved.
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #184
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Does anyone know how to make this work automatically for newsfeeds on Calibre? The newsfeed conversion seems to ignore the additional css box in preferences.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #185
Locheil
Locheil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E505
Can I put fonts in a dir on my SD card?

I don't seem to be able to access the root dir of my 505 with explorer! can I put the fonts dir on my loaded SD card?
If so what do I need to alter in the CSS code?

...Alan

Eh!.... cancel that message found my problem, I can now see my 505's root dir. (brain fart!)

Last edited by Locheil; 11-10-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: solution found.
Locheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #186
ModlrMike
ModlrMike began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm interested in playing around with this on my 600. I have a couple of questions though:

a. what are the default font sizes on the 600?
b. if I add the CSS code (in addition to the other instructions) and specific font sizes in Calibre, will I see the difference on my 600?
ModlrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #187
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
re: (a) I don't know. (b) yes, you should see differences on your 600. At least, I do on my 700. To make your testing easy, I suggest starting with a font that is wildly different from the built-in fonts on the reader. A script-style font or even (ick) comic sans (ick). This first font need not be particularly readable, just extremely different. The idea is to be able to tell at a glance whether the font change took effect. Then, once you have the basics down, switch over to the font (or fonts) you really intend to use.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #188
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it depends if the paragraphs are using <p> or <div>. Best check the source and then fix the CSS after that.
This will be why it doesn't work in some of my ePub. What should I use when the html contains things like

div class="tx1"

and

div class="tx"

Do I need to reference tx1 and tx in the CSS that I get Calibre to add at the beginning?

Thanks
Christopher
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
This will be why it doesn't work in some of my ePub. What should I use when the html contains things like

div class="tx1"

and

div class="tx"

Do I need to reference tx1 and tx in the CSS that I get Calibre to add at the beginning?

Thanks
Christopher
Yes, you will need to reference tx1 and tx in the CSS and have them set as you want for the corresponding paragraphs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #190
riverread
riverread began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
external fonts on SD card (SONY PRS-505)

I want to put my chinese fonts on a SD card (directory \fonts)
What's the correct Data-directory in the CSS, please?
(for internal fonts: src:url(res:///Data/FONT/UKAI.TTF)
Thank you very much for the help.
riverread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #191
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Hi,

I have a PRS-300. I followed the instructions outlined in post #18, and I'm even trying out the same font. When I exported my ePubs in Calibre and put them on my Reader, the new font worked for most of my books, but not all.

After digging around this thread some more, it sounded like I needed to use Sigil to manually edit the style section of each ePub that failed to use the new font. I replaced every "font-family" reference I could find, which made my books display Fontin in both Sigil and Calibre's internal viewer (I've installed the font on my PC), so I thought I did things properly.

But when I put these ePubs on my Reader, they still don't use Fontin. I've tried entering different permutations of Fontin for "font family:"

"Fontin"
Fontin
"Fontin", serif

But none of them work. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #192
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Hello MobileRead members,

I am the proud owner of a Sony PRS600 and although I've had it for less than 24 hours, I cna say that I love it, but.... there is a but!
The problem that I have is that the unit does not display correctly Romanian characters. I tried everything, applying solutions found on this forum... without success. I found a couple of books in Romanian, converted by a fellow member and those appear fine, but, I cannot mamage to convert my files (mostly in RTF format).

I tried to embedd fonts, but, although the instructions are pretty straightforward, my Sony does not seem to change the fonts.
I have attached below a fragment from a book - this shows fine in Word, I even managed to make it appear fine in Calibre (I saved it as html, unicode UTF-8), but when I upload it to my Sony the special characters are either missing or appear a question marks.

Any help is much-much appreciated!
Thanks a lot and have a great day!

Laurentiu
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Fragment.rtf (6.9 KB, 441 views)
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #193
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Laurentiu,

I tried your rtf fragment - converted to epub using Calibre and transferred to my PRS-505. It seems to display fine (not that I can read Romanian, you understand!). So it's just a matter of figuring out what's going wrong.

Given you have posted in this thread I assume you have read it and correctly copied your desired fonts into a newly created fonts directory on the PRS-600.

These are the steps I followed. My example uses the Georgia font-family rather than the Bookman in your sample rtf because I don't have Bookman on my reader.

1. Load rtf into MSWord and File/Save-as Web-filtered format to get an HTML version.

2. Edit the HTML in a text editor and remove all the style info - everything between <style> ... </style>. This step may not be necessary but it simplifies the HTML for the purpose of troubleshooting.

3. Import the HTML into Calibre.

4. Convert to epub using the following CSS in the Look-and-Feel/Extra-CSS box:-

@font-face {
font-family: "Georgia";font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgia.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Georgia";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiai.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiab.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiaz.ttf);
}
body {font-family: "Georgia", serif; line-height:120%; }

5. Transfer epub to reader using Calibre and admire pretty results without understanding a word.

I've attached my zipped-up HTML file in case it's any use.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frag.zip (734 Bytes, 428 views)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #194
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hi Laurentiu,
[...]
5. Transfer epub to reader using Calibre and admire pretty results without understanding a word.
Hi Jackie,

Thanks a lot for your help . I followed the steps and managed to convert the fragment properly. Now, c'mon.... are you serious when you said you can't understand Romanian? Well, you realize, of course, that I attached the fragment so that someone can compare the view from Word with that from the reader!

Thanks again for your valuable help. It's good to be part of this virtual community. Now I have some work to do: convert some of those books that did not go properly in the first place!

All the best,
Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #195
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Hi,

I have a PRS-300. I followed the instructions outlined in post #18, and I'm even trying out the same font. When I exported my ePubs in Calibre and put them on my Reader, the new font worked for most of my books, but not all.

After digging around this thread some more, it sounded like I needed to use Sigil to manually edit the style section of each ePub that failed to use the new font. I replaced every "font-family" reference I could find, which made my books display Fontin in both Sigil and Calibre's internal viewer (I've installed the font on my PC), so I thought I did things properly.

But when I put these ePubs on my Reader, they still don't use Fontin. I've tried entering different permutations of Fontin for "font family:"

"Fontin"
Fontin
"Fontin", serif

But none of them work. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
This is what I put in every ePub I convert using Calibre at the beginning of the CSS.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin";
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin_Sans";
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_R_45b.otf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_B_45b.otf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_I_45b.otf);
}
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin_Sans" ;
  font-weight: bold ;
  font-style: italic ;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_BI_45b.otf) ;
}
body {
  font-family: "Fontin", serif;
  widows: 0;
  orphans: 0
}
Not every case will it work as is to display the font. Sometimes you need to look at the html code to see what styles are used and ad the specific font family you want to the style(s) used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts