Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
Reader Internals 2.0 (pics!)

Update: The pictures are back - you find them attached to this thread. -- Alex

Hey all, just thought I would share these with you. Taking this thing apart was pretty easy. The right side (plastic) silver bumper pops out after unscrewing the one screw on the back, then sliding a slim knife or screwdriver under it (careful, they are fragile!). The Left side bumper has 2 screws holding it in place under the SD card flap. Once those are undone you can pop it out in a similar fashion. There are 4 screw holes on each side of the reader now. Unscrew those as well as the two near the port at the bottom and lift off the back cover (it is hinged at the top). The internals are screwed to the front faceplate. I did not have the time to dissect it any further. Everything went back together the same way with no problems. I did not notice any unused ports or anything fun like that on the motherboard.

-lint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sr01py1.jpg
Views:	3928
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2220   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr02qo6.jpg
Views:	4174
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2221   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr03yc3.jpg
Views:	4452
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2222   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr04ef4.jpg
Views:	4419
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2223   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr05tm3.jpg
Views:	4301
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2224   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr06nw9.jpg
Views:	5082
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	2225   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr07rj8.jpg
Views:	3922
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	2226   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr08gg7.jpg
Views:	4122
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2227   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs09hy3.jpg
Views:	3476
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	2228   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs10wk6.jpg
Views:	3582
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2229   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs11ns1.jpg
Views:	2908
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2230   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs12ks6.jpg
Views:	3153
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2231   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs13ka2.jpg
Views:	3216
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2232   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs14wd3.jpg
Views:	2994
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2233   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs15zg8.jpg
Views:	3689
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2234  

Last edited by lint; 11-16-2006 at 10:00 PM.
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Awesome. Looks like DIY battery changes will be pretty simple.

Thanks!!

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
lint
Enthusiast

some additional photos...
Update: Find them now in the first post of this thread

-lint

Last edited by lint; 11-16-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, if we can figure out what kind of battery that actually is ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
That rug looks like a good source of static electricity. Next time, disassemble it on a table in the kitchen. The kitchen table and floor should be less likely to cause static buildup.

(I used to be a repair tech at a computer store, and they warned us about electrostatic discharge, a minor-but-not-insiginifcant problem.)

-William
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Hè hè.... look at the power connector. Not enough room to place it on the original PCB Sony? Nice solution though.

Anyway, if we ever need to replace the battery you wouldn't be able to replace it by the original I think. It's a Sony battery so they will prevent selling these seperate. Of course there will be replacement batteries because there are enough online stores for replacement batteries. As long there will be need they will provide.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Looks like a pretty standard Li-poly battery. There's a bunch of outfits that sell similar ones for the iPod and PDA replacement markets, so I'm betting they will show up eventually for the Reader.

Be tough to sell them right now though. The usual usual sales pitch (and what made me replace the battery in my Palm T3) is longer run time

I think the power jack layout may be a "feature." A significant cause of early gadget mortality is walking off with it still connected to the power cord. If you're lucky, it just pops out the plug, if you're not, it snaps the jack off the board internally. If the jack is on the main board, this means big bucks.

The way this is laid out, it would just trash the little sub-board, which would be a very easy and cheap repair.

Or maybe it didn't fit

Cheers,
Bob
Old 11-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA
Looks like a pretty standard Li-poly battery. There's a bunch of outfits that sell similar ones for the iPod and PDA replacement markets, so I'm betting they will show up eventually for the Reader.

Be tough to sell them right now though. The usual usual sales pitch (and what made me replace the battery in my Palm T3) is longer run time

I think the power jack layout may be a "feature." A significant cause of early gadget mortality is walking off with it still connected to the power cord. If you're lucky, it just pops out the plug, if you're not, it snaps the jack off the board internally. If the jack is on the main board, this means big bucks.

The way this is laid out, it would just trash the little sub-board, which would be a very easy and cheap repair.

Or maybe it didn't fit

Cheers,
Bob

Good theory!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Looks more to me like it just didn't fit, BobVA.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Thanks Lint--Very cool pics.

Wonder what the boys & girls at SONY think of you slicing open their baby.

Knowing that the shell can be opened like that, someone might conceive of some interesting hardware hacks
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
rothe957
Ingenieur
rothe957 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Hiebook / SonyEricsson P910i
Battery replacement

Thanks for the pics!
About the Li-Ion battery: could you give us the dimensions of it?
This would allow to guess the capacity and consider possible replacements.
Prismatic Li-Ion cells from different manufacturers tend to have similiar
dimension and capacity ratings, e.g. Panasonic OEM cells.

^_^
rothe957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
BobVA
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Knowing that the shell can be opened like that, someone might conceive of some interesting hardware hacks

Edge lighting with some SMT LED's anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #13
lint
Enthusiast

i thought of painting the outer case (which is metal btw) but I think I will wait. I really wouldn't mind a nice texturized black case I hope others more knowledgeable open their readers and give a better analysis of the internals. I really was only looking to contribute to the scene by opening the reader for pictures. I'm sure others will give more info in the future.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #14
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hmm. In the 5th of the "additional photos" is that two 64MB flash memory chips with an open spot for a third? Maybe some internal memory expansion would be possible (though with 1GB SD cards selling for around $20 now I'm not sure why anyone would want to).

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
rothe957
Ingenieur
rothe957 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Hiebook / SonyEricsson P910i
Memory chips

Do you mean IC1112 & IC1113, with IC1114 missing?
These aren't flash memory chips, these are only simple lowly bus drivers
The flash chips are the large towel-shaped 48pin chips on the left edge of the same picture.

^_^
rothe957 is offline   Reply With Quote