Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question html vs xhtml

I have some confusion over these files types & over how Sigil inserets splits...

It may be used an issue with one bad book - which is a short story compilation that I think has been converted from word but anyway...

inspecting several epubs I have these questions:

1. I see that some have html fiels per chapter, some have xhtml files - I see no obvious rules as to which is uses - is that publisher discretion or a side effect of wahtever package was used to create the book. are both equally valid.

2, if I take a book which is all xhtml and arbitrarily add a split - the new file is also xhtml. if the book was all html, then so is the new file. All very logical

3. But in my problem case I see to have a mix of both types & I don't know if that is ancient editing by me, with an old version of sigil, or not ?

so can someone please tell me has sigil always worked the same way when splitting, and are there any real life consequences ( say in different readers) of changing or mixing the html *& xhtml files types within the epub zip, please

PS this relates to a query I just put on Kobo forum that I am trying to puzzle out - not sure yet if it is a sigil issue a kobo issue, or a waste of time
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
All files are XHTML internally. It is only the extension that can be either .xhtml or .html. There was a change around 0.6.x with regards to the default extension. In essence it will not matter what the extension is.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK - so whatever obscure epub bug I am trying to trace, it won't be connected to whatever a component file or files is/are called html or xhtml.

That's good I think, One less suspect on the list

and sigil has always used the source file type, when asked to insert a split into a file via the toolbar icon it woud never split , say , sample.xhtml into

sample.xhtml
sample_Section_1.html

if I'm seeing that then some other program has been at work ?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Or other version of Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Or other version of Sigil.
ah - So this could be my own dabbling from when I had sigil v4 - The book has been lying around unread for 2+ years, I may have done a partial tidy /split, then abandoned it.

Also, I was very slow to upgrade from v4.

I am having a sort through old, unread books in my calibre library this one just earned its place in the "bin" pile

I'm finally accepting that if if it's been there for 2+ years & I've still not read it , & its not part of a favourite author or series collection, then it ain't ever going to happen !
Advert