Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Talking Sync Calibre Library in Dropbox for Windows

Hi,

I thought I'd share this little tidbit which I discovered quite accidentally. Not sure if this was discussed before, my searches didn't find anything and I thought I'd share. If this was covered previously, I apologize.

I was thinking if it's possible in Windows 7 to create a symbolic link to the files in my Calibre Library without having to move the entire folder and it's contents into my Dropbox folder and then reconfigure Calibre to read the new location. Sort of like a way to keep a running "backup" of my Calibre Library. Here's how you do it:

1) Load the cmd.exe as administrator by going to the Start button and typing cmd when it appears in the list, right-click on it and click on Run as Administrator

2) This will load a black window and the prompt will read
Code:
c:\windows\system32
3) If you have a standard Calibre installation and you didn't move your Library, it should normally be in
Code:
%userprofile%\Calibre Library\
Similarly, Dropbox should be located in
Code:
%userprofile%\Dropbox\

4) In the command window, type:
Code:
cd %userprofile%\Dropbox
and press the enter key.

5) The prompt will change to read something like: c:\User\[User Name]\Dropbox. This is good.

6) Now, type:
Code:
mklink /D "Calibre Library" "%userprofile%\Calibre Library\"
and press the enter key.

7) You will now see what appears as a regular folder inside your Dropbox folder called "Calibre Library" which acts like a shortcut directly to your actual Calibre Library folder.

8) You may now close out the command window by typing "exit" or just clicking on the close button.

The operating system, and more importantly, Dropbox, thinks that the folder actually exists in the Dropbox folder. Any time you add or change anything using Calibre, the files and metadata will be automatically synced with your Dropbox account.
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
No offense, but it just seems easier to move the Calibre library. That's what I did.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
The operating system, and more importantly, Dropbox, thinks that the folder actually exists in the Dropbox folder. Any time you add or change anything using Calibre, the files and metadata will be automatically synced with your Dropbox account.
Yes, this is very handy, I use the same technique for syncing my library between Linux and Windows.

One note: as per the recommendations of a Dropbox developer* you should have the "real" files residing within the Dropbox folder, and make a link from your "%userprofile%\Calibre Library\" to that instead. Calibre (and most other local software) won't care, but Dropbox uses some extremely complicated code to be able to handle change detection and file handling across different combinations of OS and filesystems, it might get confused if you trick it with links.

* I saw this in a discussion about storing live save game files in Dropbox. Regrettably I can't find it now, but the explanation from the developer was compelling.

Edit: It seems that this small utility works this way, it has a simple gui: http://dropboxifier.codeplex.com/

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-02-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added Dropboxifier
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre library, dropbox, sync