Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
More explanation, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I just want to add that I purchased a Nook HD+ a few weeks ago and I love it. I installed Montano Essentials from Google Play and installed the Caecilia fonts that I like to use.(along with other favorite fonts) It works great and my die hard Amazon Kindle loving husband wants one too. I hope they have a Father's Day sale and reduce the HD+ like they did for Mother's Day.

Penny
Penny,

I found Mantano Reader Essentials on Google Play. Is that the one you mean?

It appears to be a reader that is used instead of the Nook Reader. How do I install Caecilia inside that app?

Thanks.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Can we please stop talking about DRM stripping, at least in this thread.

99.99999% of all eBook purchasers have literally no idea what DRM is and why it might need to be stripped.
You asked. I answered. Maybe it's time to start educating those 99.99999% instead of whining about another vendor disappearing.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Can we please stop talking about DRM stripping, at least in this thread.

99.99999% of all eBook purchasers have literally no idea what DRM is and why it might need to be stripped.
You were the one who was asking how B&N will handle the ebook libraries we all own if it folds. We are just answering how we have circumvented that problem. Since you posed the question on MobileRead, we assumed you wanted an answer from the membership, not from the 99.99999% of people who don't even know this forum exists.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Caecilia is the best font for eInk. No question.
Caecilia is not the best font for eInk. Even Amazon knows this because they modify the font when it's used with an eInk Kindle. If it was the best, Amazon's software would not modify the font. Take a look at the TTF (or is it OTF?) and you'll see it's not as good looking as it is when the Kindle modifies it.

I think my modified Charis SIL blows away Caecilia.

Oh and I have proof that Caecilia is not a good font. When used with KF8, the line height is to big to be comfortable to read with. My modified Charis SIL is modified to give a comfortable reading experience using KF8 and it also works well with ADE.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-29-2013 at 09:51 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Penny,

I found Mantano Reader Essentials on Google Play. Is that the one you mean?

It appears to be a reader that is used instead of the Nook Reader. How do I install Caecilia inside that app?

Thanks.
Hi,
Yes, I did mean Montano from Google Play. There are three versions. I am using the Essentials version which if I remember correctly is $3.99 I think the premium version has a lot more features but I am cheap.
I did the following(copied and pasted from Montano Faq's)

Mantano Reader Premium allows you to customize a theme to use a specific font.
You can add a ttf font file in the folder: /storage/sdcard0/Mantano/fonts/

After you add your font to the fonts folder you can change the font by...

open the menu
select the theme icon
select an existing or create a new one
clic on the Edit button
tap on the first item => font and select the font you wish to use
tap OK to validate your changes

I did the above with the ES File Explorer app from Google Play. It worked great.

HTH,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I think my modified Charis SIL blows away Caecilia.
I use this font also in Montano. I think I use it more than the others.

Thanks,
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Returning the nook because of lack of a lousy font is just wrong.

You may need to re-read your sentence: You're not returning it DUE to the lack of a lousy font, but rather because it doesn't have (in your opinion) a better font!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
... How do I install Caecilia inside that app?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post

Mantano Reader Premium allows you to customize a theme to use a specific font.
You can add a ttf font file in the folder: /storage/sdcard0/Mantano/fonts/

After you add your font to the fonts folder you can change the font by...

open the menu
select the theme icon
select an existing or create a new one
clic on the Edit button
tap on the first item => font and select the font you wish to use
tap OK to validate your changes

I did the above with the ES File Explorer app from Google Play. It worked great.
You can install fonts with Dropbox, too -- pleasantly surprised by how easy it was:

- Upload fonts (ttf or otf) to Dropbox
- Open Dropbox app, navigate to the font
- Select: Export (using arrow button in right margin)
- Select: Save to SD Card
- Navigate to the folder: Mantano > fonts
- Press Export

Repeat for all your fonts, then open Mantano. Change fonts per directions kindly provided by Penny above.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
B&N doesn't even have the limited offerings available that Amazon has for where I reside, therefore it is immediately a non-starter. I will not be lamenting their potential demise.

Just saying.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #25
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just like most of us wouldn't lament the loss of booksellers or book devices that only have limited availability in our own countries.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Cool The slide continues...

Bye Bye Nook apps...
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
So they're only supporting Windows 8 now. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Looks like the MSFT tentacles are spreading fast.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
With all that I still love my Nook HD+. It's a solid Android tablet and I can't remember the last time I looked at Nook store. I won't miss B&N when they go away.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
With all that I still love my Nook HD+. It's a solid Android tablet and I can't remember the last time I looked at Nook store. I won't miss B&N when they go away.
They seem to be making bad decision after bad decision. Maybe they'll turn things around, but it doesn't look like they're heading in the right direction.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
They seem to be making bad decision after bad decision. Maybe they'll turn things around, but it doesn't look like they're heading in the right direction.
*sigh* I'd hate for the Nook business to shut down (at least the ebook publishing side). Right now, they're my only legal source for "disinfect-able" manga.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote