Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
Confused: Vizplex or Pearl?

I just purchased a PRS-650 from the Sony Store at Robina on the Gold Coast. I read all the reviews and watched all the available videos before I went to the store so I barely glanced at the display unit before purchasing. Fast forward 2 hours and I am at home, I plug the unit in to charge via USB. The battery is full so I disconnect and the unit starts up. A few logos are displayed including the eink vizplex logo. What the!?! Once the reader has started I go into the 'about screen' and it says this unit uses eink vizplex! No mention of Pearl at all. I compare the display my (vizplex) Hanlin V3 and they are almost identical as far as grayness of the 'white' part of the screen goes. However the sony's page turns are faster.

Now I might be missing something but I was under the assumption that all of the new Sony readers use Pearl eink. Are Sony using Vizplex in Australia only? I rechecked the Sony Australia website and confirmed that the PRS 650 features include:
6" E Ink® Pearl glare-free touch-screen for the ultimate reading experience

I rang the Sony store immediately and they said they will chase it up with their head office tomorrow (the guy I spoke to had no idea what Vizplex and pearl were).

Has anyone else had this experience in Australia (or elsewhere)? I do remember someone on this forum saying that his (vizplex) Kobo reader display was better than his new Sony's display and this may be the reason why.
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I'm in Brisbane. My 650 says that on the about page too.

But when I compare my 650 side by side with the 300, the 650 screen is much better: the text appears darker. Images have much better clarity. The contrast is better. So I'm assuming it's a Pearl screen and they just forgot to update the About page.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I noticed the Viplex mention in the specs for the 950 too; it's mentioned in the last few posts at this thread -

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97191

Let us know what Sony replies about this!

ETA:

Quote:
I'm assuming it's a Pearl screen and they just forgot to update the About page.
That's about what I wondered too.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Sony uses E-Ink Pearl. Check Sony's press-release and product information on their web pages. I don't think 'Pearl' is a trademark and it is the technology name for an ehnacement of Vizplex(tm) Imaging Film, so maybe trademark-wise Vizplex could still stay.

I have both Kobo and Sony PRS-650 and Sony's display is better, period.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
Sony uses E-Ink Pearl. Check Sony's press-release and product information on their web pages. I don't think 'Pearl' is a trademark and it is the technology name for an ehnacement of Vizplex(tm) Imaging Film, so maybe trademark-wise Vizplex could still stay.

I have both Kobo and Sony PRS-650 and Sony's display is better, period.
Yes, the thought had just crossed my mind that maybe 'Viplex' is just a usual part of e-ink so I went to google about it; I couldn't find anything very recent though. But I'm guessing you're correct.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikelet View Post
I'm in Brisbane. My 650 says that on the about page too.

But when I compare my 650 side by side with the 300, the 650 screen is much better: the text appears darker. Images have much better clarity. The contrast is better. So I'm assuming it's a Pearl screen and they just forgot to update the About page.
It is possible that a) they forgot to update the about page but b) more likely that 'pearl' is just a catchphrase and not trademarked like 'vizplex'. If that is the case then I am very impressed by the reader (page turns, build quality, touchscreen and various functions and options) but not so impressed by pearl. The blacks are definately blacker but the white is almost identical to the 'vizplex' white of my 2 year old Hanlin V3.

Many thanks for your quick and incisive replies. I will keep you all updated as to what Sony says at any rate.
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Indeed, the word "Peal" on the E-Ink product page does not have ™ next to it, unlike Vizplex™.

Some people on the-ebook.org forum have claimed that Pearl screens are just the top tier of the Vizplex screens, i.e. they don't have a new production process or anything, but just more stringent QA process. There might be some truth in this, but I think it's a combination of 1) better (blacker) ink particles, 2) new/optimized waveforms and 3) the new ISIS controller that can make use of those waveforms.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
pendragginp
Guru

So anyway, not worth a mental pause that it says Viplex, it sounds like?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
how is the glare in on the 650??? especially compared to the 600?
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
iptech
iptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura aboutiptech has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
It's much better, along with the clearer screen it's a very much improved reading experience. The screen on the PRS-650 has the same level of sheen as the PRS-505
iptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
I read several reviews (about the screens not any particular reader) a while back about the differences between the two screens and it was noted in both that the background screen color was the same but the black ink was much darker on the Pearl screen. The background screen can also appear relatively lighter if your looking at a reader (like the Kindle) which changed from a light colored bezel to a dark one.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I had always found with my 505 that if I held it at a pretty significant angle from my eye (as opposed to looking at it more straight-on), the background appeared much, much whiter than looking straight at it. The color I saw when holding at this angle was the perfect background color: a creamy sort of milk-white, not bright white like paper, but a very pleasing contrast to the color of the text. If eInk could reach this level of white background when looking straight at it, it would be awesome. As it is, everything I've read about Pearl to date, after boiling through all the effusive gushing over how wonderful it looks, seems to indicate that Pearl is really just the same as Vizplex with a darker text. As long as that background is that awful gray tone, eInk simply doesn't work for me. I can achieve the same results as Pearl with my 505 just by choosing a mid-weight or bold font.

Cream-white background with 300 pixels per inch or better: that's what it needs! I ran across an article from a year or so back that showed a demo eInk from Epson at a breathtaking 385 ppi! (Article here). Sadly, that was a couple of years ago and I haven't heard any more about it since. The background on the demo still looked far, far too gray, but that pixel density on a huge display (something like 10.5 inches by 8 inches - every eInk PDF reader's dream!) would have really thrown the eInk industry to a whole new level.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
You can see the differences between vizplex and pearl screens under a microscope here. The black is definitely darker and the grey background seems to be less noisy making it look a bit more white.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
There is no touch layer on top of the screen so the screen is as good as it gets for eink.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Never mind.
--------------------------------------------
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote