Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
stevenam
stevenam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Did you try to open the font menu and select an existing font family after opening a book? Or does any touch bring you back to the home screen, not only those for page turning?
If this does not work, it might perhaps help if you replace the references to deleted fonts by references to still existing fonts in the database (KoboReader.sqlite, content settings: ReadingFontFamily)!
Edit: There is also an entry in the configuration file (Kobo eReader.conf) that determines which font is used when you open a book for the first time. You can try deleting this entry.
1. The blank screen immediately appear after selecting the book. The second touch to the screen instantly brought me back to home screen, and the book is 100% read. In short, I couldn't open the book at all.

I had no ideas and just reinstall everything on my Kobo, by a factory reset.

2. Can you provide the path to the files you mentioned? I will try and see.

Basically, this is just for fun since the Kobo Aura One is a marvellous piece of hardware, but a real disgrace in term of software.
stevenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The book going back to the screen when opened makes me think of a corrupted database.

What happens if you do a database check using calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenam View Post
2. Can you provide the path to the files you mentioned? I will try and see.
The database is in .kobo, and the configuration file in .kobo/Kobo. Since you have already reset your device, there is no need to play around with those two files. Your database may have been corrupt (as Peter suggested), and your problem was possibly not related to the font files at all.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
stevenam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The database is in .kobo, and the configuration file in .kobo/Kobo. Since you have already reset your device, there is no need to play around with those two files. Your database may have been corrupt (as Peter suggested), and your problem was possibly not related to the font files at all.
Just my guess, if I delete the corrupted database and restart the Nickel, Nickel will create a new clean database that will allow me to read the epub files.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Just my guess, if I delete the corrupted database and restart the Nickel, Nickel will create a new clean database that will allow me to read the epub files.
Yes, but the user information is in the database. You will be prompted to do the setup.

Restarting the device can be enough to solve the database problem. You might find the latest books are missing or the reading status has been reset. But, if the database is corrupt enough, the device can decide to remove it and do the setup again.

Also, the problem described can be due to one of the background tasks crashing or otherwise not responding. If that's the case, restarting the device will fix it. At least until whatever caused the problem happens again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 AM   #21
stevenam

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, but the user information is in the database. You will be prompted to do the setup.

Restarting the device can be enough to solve the database problem. You might find the latest books are missing or the reading status has been reset. But, if the database is corrupt enough, the device can decide to remove it and do the setup again.

Also, the problem described can be due to one of the background tasks crashing or otherwise not responding. If that's the case, restarting the device will fix it. At least until whatever caused the problem happens again.
Then, I think the restart step is definitely required after deleting the fonts.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Then, I think the restart step is definitely required after deleting the fonts.
Yes, you should restart after deleting the fonts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #23
von Klamke
von Klamke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Hello everyone.
I don't want to start a new thread since my problem seems to be similar.
I have the problem with diacritic fonts in the gui displayed in the "book series info" part. "Normal letters" are shown using some kind of sans serif font (Gill?) but every diacritic letter is substituted with a serif font (with a different look - Georgia maybe?). I know it is the matter of aesthetics but it bugs me and does not look nice. What is the reason of it, and more importantly - how to solve it? I have my KA1 patched and some additional fonts loaded - maybe that is the reason.
Is there a way to change the font the KA1 uses for displaying book series info?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by von Klamke; 01-24-2017 at 05:08 AM.
von Klamke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:55 AM   #24
cotton.squirrel
cotton.squirrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Sorry for bringing this thread back up. I was looking for a way to replace the GUI fonts on the new color devices, as they no longer ship with Avenir and Georgia. Any ideas?
cotton.squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:46 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton.squirrel View Post
Sorry for bringing this thread back up. I was looking for a way to replace the GUI fonts on the new color devices, as they no longer ship with Avenir and Georgia. Any ideas?
As I posted in another thread, the sans-serif font used looks better then Avenir and the serif font is similar enough to Georgia to make no difference.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:07 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In theory, you can extract the fonts you want from an older firmware by navigating to:

/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/

inside KoboRoot.tgz. You can then use kobopatch.yaml to add these files back to the firmware of your current device during the patching process.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
In theory, you can extract the fonts you want from an older firmware by navigating to:

/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/

inside KoboRoot.tgz. You can then use kobopatch.yaml to add these files back to the firmware of your current device during the patching process.
We cannot be sure that will work because the fonts are encrypted and if the key is no longer available, the fonts won't work.

But will it work if the fonts are not encrypted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:59 PM   #28
cotton.squirrel
cotton.squirrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As I posted in another thread, the sans-serif font used looks better then Avenir and the serif font is similar enough to Georgia to make no difference.
The issue is that the default fonts don’t support my language (Vietnamese) so in the past I’ve used a modified version of Avenir and Georgia to replace them to great effect. Now it’s back to weird characters showing on the main UI, navigation bar, and the dictionary again.
cotton.squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote