Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Non-fiction book prices

This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if it is a little off the wall. A co-worker has a Kindle and just seeing it has gotten my attention. I am currently using my Eee PC as my e-reader and just about everything else I do away from work. I've read all the reviews and I the main thing holding me back is non-fiction book prices. Fiction are mostly less than $10, but technical books are only a couple of $ less than paper price. I have a wall of computer books in my office that I would hate to lose! However, I have gotten to the point that I have to really need/want a computer book at $50+ to buy it. If the electronic versions on the Kindle were $10 or $15 I would have already bought a Kindle and a bunch of technical e-books. I guess enough are selling that there is no incentive to lower the prices.

Anybody have an explaination of the difference in the price of Fiction eBooks vs. technical eBooks?
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The cost of production, and the very limited number of sales.

Publishers - reputable ones at least - do hugely more work with non-fiction books than they do with fiction. They generally send the content out for review by people knowledgeable in the field - nothing worse for a publisher's reputation than publishing a textbook with factual errors.

The cost of printing is completely trivial compared with the cost of producing a textbook. It's unreasonable to expect them to be sold for $10.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
This first generation Kindle may not be so good for technical books. They haven't quite dialed in the issues with images and charts (tables).

Since your friend has a Kindle, ask them to download a free sample of a technical book you are interested in. If it looks usable to you, then you probably won't have a problem with the types of technical books you need. If not, you may have to look at something like the iLiad.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindel, non-fiction, prices