Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter
BusterBrown began at the beginning.

Device: k2k3k4
K3 permission problem

Hi all, now that I have my serial port hardware working with the Minicom program, thanks to the help provided in this forum, I am able to sign in to the framework but, can't get any further because of a permissions problem.

I started with being SU, chrown uucp /dev/ttyUSB2, started Minicom -s and allowed the kernel to finish loading. I have searched google and this forum for answers but, seems no one else has had this problem.

Is mntroot rw the wrong command at this point? I try to work out my own problems but, sometimes I run into a dead end and it seems that playing around with K3's and the serial port may be getting obsolete with the newer models. Please see my error message below:

Password:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[framework@kindle framework]$ mntroot rw
fbset: can't open '/dev/fb/0': Permission denied
BusterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBrown View Post
Hi all, now that I have my serial port hardware working with the Minicom program, thanks to the help provided in this forum, I am able to sign in to the framework but, can't get any further because of a permissions problem.

I started with being SU, chrown uucp /dev/ttyUSB2, started Minicom -s and allowed the kernel to finish loading. I have searched google and this forum for answers but, seems no one else has had this problem.

Is mntroot rw the wrong command at this point? I try to work out my own problems but, sometimes I run into a dead end and it seems that playing around with K3's and the serial port may be getting obsolete with the newer models. Please see my error message below:

Password:
You are logged in as user framework. That is a very restricted account that cannot access the framebuffer device, and CERTAINLY cannot mount the root as writable.

Please login as root. You can compute the root password from your serial number.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

I started with being SU, chrown uucp /dev/ttyUSB2, started Minicom -s and allowed the kernel to finish loading.
That was on your desktop system.
Quote:
I have searched google and this forum for answers but, seems no one else has had this problem.

Now you are on a different *nix machine, the one at the far end of the cable, called a: Kindle.
You have to login there once you have arrived.
The quote that follows seems to be missing the "login: " line.
Is that a copy and paste error here?
Do you have 'capture' enabled on Minicom? Check the capture log you saved for the missing line before the following one:
Quote:
Password:
That reads USERNAME@HOSTNAME CURDIRECTORY $
'$' == unprivledged user.

You can read the mntroot command - it is a shell script.
There you will find that it issues a command limited to the privledged user(s).

Solution: login as root.
From where you are now (as framework) do: su -l root
Then put in the password you computed from your serial number.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

My mistake. I had the serial connector attached to the Kindle while Minicom was initializing and so now I'm getting a totally different screen and seems the login isn't correct. Yes, I am typing from the computer. Will try entering PW on the Kindle.

system: I S96boot_finished:def:Boot finished script running
system: I S96boot_finished:symboot:time=37510:boot time before framework startss
start.sh: starting framework
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem read-only
-----------------------------------------
Welcome to Kindle!
kindle login: fiona629
---------------------------------------
Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My mistake. I had the serial connector attached to the Kindle while Minicom was initializing and so now I'm getting a totally different screen and seems the login isn't correct. Yes, I am typing from the computer. Will try entering PW on the Kindle.

system: I S96boot_finished:def:Boot finished script running
system: I S96boot_finished:symboot:time=37510:boot time before framework startss
start.sh: starting framework
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem read-only
-----------------------------------------
Welcome to Kindle!
kindle login: fiona629
---------------------------------------
Thanks
Login is root. password is fionaXXX (where XXX depends on your serial number). I assume that you figured that out and just did not copy it correctly in your post.
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

I don't know what is going on now. I am no longer getting the Framework login screen. I'm letting the K3 boot until is says on the computer screen: Welcome to Kindle! and then I get 'Kindle Login:' and after entering root on computer or K3 - nothing and it continues to boot. It's also not responding to 'press [enter} for recovery menu so, something has happened to my setup. I need recheck setup before continuing.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
I don't know what is going on now. I am no longer getting the Framework login screen. I'm letting the K3 boot until is says on the computer screen: Welcome to Kindle! and then I get 'Kindle Login:' and after entering root on computer or K3 - nothing and it continues to boot. It's also not responding to 'press [enter} for recovery menu so, something has happened to my setup. I need recheck setup before continuing.
If that is on the serial port, you will continue to see log messages sent there even after the login prompt. When you type commands, the output of those commands will also be mixed with log message. That is normal behavior.

You can get a login prompt earlier in the boot sequence by pressing the Enter key.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One of the 'tricks' to using minicom with a serial port adapter (and not a modem on the other end) is to avoid the "setup strings" sent by minicom when you open a port (or start up minicom with a default that opens the port).

Choices:
Disconnect device from end of cable (but leave usb end plugged in); start minicom and let it send the trash to an empty cable. The usb end must remain plugged in so that the usb-serial converter can be configured.

Leave the cable connected, power off the remote device, start minicom so it can do its thing to a machine that isn't listening, bring up the remote device.

Diddle the minicom options and startup strings to not send character strings that will affect the Kindle listening on the other end.
(things that might be mistaken for user/password or a command or ...)

- - - -

There is a terminal emulator here (for KT) that should allow you to run minicom on the Kindle (Touch at the moment).
The 3G modem/radio is a modem that takes an "AT ..." command set (an extended Hayes command set) which minicom is very comfortable with sending.
Somewhere in one of my earliest threads here I posted the links to the command set documentation.
Just in case someone wants to diddle with their 3G hardware.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

Thanks for the info. Seems to be one problem after another but, I guess the challenge is what makes this fun. I now have a situation where I can access root using (my least favorite computer winXP) and using hyper terminal but, not with Minicom and Linux Mint 12. Need to tweak something in Minicom..... doesn't seem to be sending anymore. I have uninstalled and re-installed without any change.

New dumb question but, how do I 'quote' the last reply in my post. The quote message in reply option is greyed out. Should I not be using the 'Quick Reply' window?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Seems to be one problem after another but, I guess the challenge is what makes this fun. I now have a situation where I can access root using (my least favorite computer winXP) and using hyper terminal but, not with Minicom and Linux Mint 12. Need to tweak something in Minicom..... doesn't seem to be sending anymore. I have uninstalled and re-installed without any change.

New dumb question but, how do I 'quote' the last reply in my post. The quote message in reply option is greyed out. Should I not be using the 'Quick Reply' window?
Did your USB device name for the adapter cable change?

They are assigned dynamically in Linux, if you plug your USB devices in, in a different order, then your adapter cable might not be /dev/usbTTY0 (or whatever it was) any longer.

If this is what happened, then it is possible to assign it your choice of device names in the udev rule-set.

For instance:
I have a machine with three USB-Ethernet adapters on them, so I id them by their hardware address and then assign them a distinctive name.
I.E: To heck with Linux's idea of what device name they should have.

A similar rule can be done for that USB-serial converter.
If you want to give that a try, I will have to ask you a few more details from your running copy of Linux Mint.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

knc1, That sounds like a good idea and I will check into it. I check dmesg to see what USB port has been assigned before starting Minicom.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

This is what dmesg reports for my USB device:
[ 7277.480701] mct_u232 5-2:1.0: device disconnected
[ 7280.688202] usb 5-2: new full speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[ 7281.477452] mct_u232 5-2:1.0: MCT U232 converter detected
[ 7281.477663] usb 5-2: MCT U232 converter now attached to ttyUSB2

lsusb: Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0711:0230 Magic Control Technology Corp. MCT-232 Serial Port

Last edited by BusterBrown; 06-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
This is what dmesg reports for my USB device:
[ 7277.480701] mct_u232 5-2:1.0: device disconnected
[ 7280.688202] usb 5-2: new full speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[ 7281.477452] mct_u232 5-2:1.0: MCT U232 converter detected
[ 7281.477663] usb 5-2: MCT U232 converter now attached to ttyUSB2

lsusb: Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0711:0230 Magic Control Technology Corp. MCT-232 Serial Port
Hmm...
You must have a ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 serial devices already in use.
This cable might have been one of those devices the last time you setup minicom (yesterday?).

Now try this and post:
Code:
lsusb -vv -d 0711:0230
If nothing better is revealed, could you live with only plugging in one adapter cable with this ID (vendor:product) at a time?

Got a choice of name? How about /dev/ttyk3?
I will have to diddle with this for awhile, maybe will know if I can make this happen before the end of the day here.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

I have 4 USB ports on this computer and one external 4-USB hub. I have rearranged the connectors so that the external hub only connects to the printer and leaves 3 open USB's. I connect the USB serial adaptor to one of the connectors on the computer. Hope this makes sense. Thanks again for you help in this matter. Here is the output:

sudo lsusb -vv -d 0711:0230
[sudo] password for wally:

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0711:0230 Magic Control Technology Corp. MCT-232 Serial Port
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 16
idVendor 0x0711 Magic Control Technology Corp.
idProduct 0x0230 MCT-232 Serial Port
bcdDevice 1.03
iManufacturer 1 USB-RS232 Interface Converter
iProduct 2 USB Ver1.2 Device
iSerial 3 159841
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 39
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 50mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0002 1x 2 bytes
bInterval 2
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0010 1x 16 bytes
bInterval 1
Device Status: 0x0000
(Bus Powered)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
BusterBrown
Kindle Expirmenter

Here is the new lsusb readout:
$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05a9:2640 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. OV2640 Webcam
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. BCM2046B1 USB 2.0 Hub (part of BCM2046 Bluetooth)
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 413c:8134 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 5720 Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO Rev-A) Minicard Status Port
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0711:0230 Magic Control Technology Corp. MCT-232 Serial Port
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c52f Logitech, Inc. Wireless Mouse M305
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 03f0:8d11 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0a5c:4502 Broadcom Corp. Keyboard (Boot Interface Subclass)
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp. Mouse (Boot Interface Subclass)