Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
wouql
wouql began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Read in Store expiring immediately on Nook Color

I've been having some issues with the Read In Store feature on my Nook Color, which is a bummer because it's one of the main selling points that pushed me towards the Nook. The odd thing is that I can't find *anyone* who's having the same difficulties, either store associates or online.

Sometimes when I try to read a book in store, either when the loading process starts, or after it finishes and the book opens up, the book will immediately kick me out and tell me my reading time for that book for today has expired - even though I *just* opened it and haven't read it in over 24 hours. I'd say this happens between 30%-50% of the time I try to read a book in store. And since it's so sporadic, I can't figure out exactly what produces it.

Some observations:
  • It's never happened on a brand new book. I only see this when resuming a book I've already started.
  • It seems to happen more frequently at a store when you start the book at a *different* B&N. I have one right next to my work, and one right next to my house, so I do alternate between 2 different locations. If I open a new book at Store A, wait several days, then try to read it at Store B, the chances of it happening are higher. But then sometimes it works. It's so sporadic that I can't figure out exactly what's going on!
  • It's happened on both the 1.1 and 1.2 (currently on 1.2) update; I haven't noticed any change in frequency based on which version of the software I'm on.
  • I've tried Google, taking it into a store, and calling the support number. No luck.

Tried factory resets several times (including with a store associate who was on the phone with the store's - not individual - B&N Technical Support) and couldn't fix the issue. Am I all alone, or has someone else seen this behavior?

Last edited by wouql; 06-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
wouql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm of no help, but I can say I've seen someone mention this issue before.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm of no help, but I can say I've seen someone mention this issue before.
I'm heading there tomorrow I will test it out. If it's on the books previously read, I wonder if the Publisher pulled a 'Calvin Rules" (changing the rules mid game). Just like they did with the selection of books available for ReadInStore. When it was first out almost all books were available, well at least a huge portion, now it's a little more selective.

I can see the publishers' putting the brakes on being able to read the same book on multiple occasions.

But we have our buy one get one free smoothie coupon plus I want some more play time with the nook touch and we just happen to drive right by a BN on the way to Mass every Sunday
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I thought the hour limit was per book--that once you open a book, you have one hour with it in store regardless of the 24 hour period--that just might be for a new book.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I think the "read in store" feature is designed to let people sample books extensively, not to give away books for free. If you're enjoying the book after reading it for an hour, I think they pretty much expect you to buy a copy.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I think the "read in store" feature is designed to let people sample books extensively, not to give away books for free. If you're enjoying the book after reading it for an hour, I think they pretty much expect you to buy a copy.
Well, when the book expires, the notification tells you that you can come back the next day to continue reading, so the issue the OP has should not occur.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, when the book expires, the notification tells you that you can come back the next day to continue reading, so the issue the OP has should not occur.
I'm pretty sure the admin on the B&N nook forum said it was 1 hour per BOOK. I think they word it deceptively if that is the case (which I think it is!).
Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I'm pretty sure the admin on the B&N nook forum said it was 1 hour per BOOK. I think they word it deceptively if that is the case (which I think it is!).
It's 1 hour per book, per day.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's 1 hour per book, per day.
Aha! So they sort of reinvented serialization, by making it in-store...

I tried to do this once but the wifi at the B&N near me is so crappy it was actually a very painful experience. I had to wait forever for just a page load.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Chiming in to say that I've had this happen on my Nook Color. I wanted to test the "Read in Store" feature and the first book I tried kicked me out and said the time limit had expired. I'd never loaded that book before and that's the only B&N I visit, so there's that.

I figured the feature was acting up and didn't ever get around to trying again. I only mention it now as a data point for the OP.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I want to confirm to some of the posters it's most definitely a per book / per day limit, not a one time thing.

That might be three books you open in the same hour (one hour reading time that day), or three books each open for an hour (three hours reading time that day).

The next day you start over again and can read the same books if you choose. I was bored this week, so I did the same book three different days without a problem.

I don't know that I would camp out at a B&N to read, but at least it ensures you get a useful sample. Some of the samples I request feel like they're half the book. Others have half a page of text by the time I flip through the copyright, table of contents, and acknowledgments.
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
After rooting my NC, the read in store option is no longer available. When I took my NC to the counter to the salesperson to see what was wrong, he told me he was not allowed to converse or help me in anyway. He said my NC was no longer considered a Nook product and I was in defiance of the store rules and please remove my device from the premises... I swear this is an accurate quote... go figure...
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
After rooting my NC, the read in store option is no longer available. When I took my NC to the counter to the salesperson to see what was wrong, he told me he was not allowed to converse or help me in anyway. He said my NC was no longer considered a Nook product and I was in defiance of the store rules and please remove my device from the premises... I swear this is an accurate quote... go figure...
Hahahaa.... On the one hand, I'm surprised that you asked for a salesperson's help on a rooted nook (then again, I'm surprised that talk of rooting is allowed on the B&N forums).

On the other, his reaction is truly hilarious. I can just imagine him immediately running to wash his hands to remove the stench of your rooted nook... even if he never touched it.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
... I can just imagine him immediately running to wash his hands to remove the stench of your rooted nook... even if he never touched it.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
...he told me he was not allowed to converse or help me in anyway. He said my NC was no longer considered a Nook product and I was in defiance of the store rules and please remove my device from the premises... I swear this is an accurate quote... go figure...
Sounds like something Paul Blart, Mall Cop would say.