Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
I have downloaded a freebie or two. I didn't pay money for it, therefore, I didn't buy anything.

When did I ever say that adding to a cart was difficult? I was referring to the overall experience of loading up an obnoxious piece of software that only works half the time, followed by sorting through an interface that's annoying and also likes to not work in order to buy a book that's probably hideously overpriced anyways. Other stores don't make me do that, Sony does. Bleh.
You are absolutely correct in that the Sony reader Library software is terrible. Even the Sony website is pretty bad and takes forever to load. i think a lot of us would like to see it greatly improved and at the very least brought up to Windows standards! But with Sony at the bottom of the heap, don't expect any remakes of the software nor of the Reader's firmware. I read an article that said sony has 4% of the reader market, B&N has 5%, Amazon has 48%, and the rest is split among all the other companies. Of course they included the iPad with about 30% even though it is not a dedicated eBook reader. But the fact is that Sony has the smallest slice of the market for the three big companies--Amazon, B&N, and Sony.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I buy all books with Sony because the Sony store is the only one whose georestrictions I am able to circumvent. Nonetheless I do not feel restricted. They have everything I ever wanted and their prizes are just like every other store's. There is absolutly no difference in prize whenever I check it. Up to now I never had an issue with that store.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The Sony Reader Library (including Store) has some outspoken detractors; however, it also has a large number of people, including me, who feel they have been served well.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
The Sony Reader Library (including Store) has some outspoken detractors; however, it also has a large number of people, including me, who feel they have been served well.
Agreed. I've never had a problem with it, I *much* prefer the iTunes-like interface to the interesting UI of Calibre, and I like that library books are nicely integrated into the Sony Library.

Early versions of the software may have been more buggy -- though I never had trouble even back when I had my Sony 500 -- but at this point I think everyone just says that the software is terrible even if they haven't used it in years.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Agreed. I've never had a problem with it, I *much* prefer the iTunes-like interface to the interesting UI of Calibre, and I like that library books are nicely integrated into the Sony Library.

Early versions of the software may have been more buggy -- though I never had trouble even back when I had my Sony 500 -- but at this point I think everyone just says that the software is terrible even if they haven't used it in years.
I have the same feeling, they just keep repeating that same old story over and over again. Favourites are: Sony store is expensive and Reader Library is no good.
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You are absolutely correct in that the Sony reader Library software is terrible. Even the Sony website is pretty bad and takes forever to load. i think a lot of us would like to see it greatly improved and at the very least brought up to Windows standards! But with Sony at the bottom of the heap, don't expect any remakes of the software nor of the Reader's firmware. I read an article that said sony has 4% of the reader market, B&N has 5%, Amazon has 48%, and the rest is split among all the other companies. Of course they included the iPad with about 30% even though it is not a dedicated eBook reader. But the fact is that Sony has the smallest slice of the market for the three big companies--Amazon, B&N, and Sony.

Why do you keep quoting that asinine article that's just plain WRONG?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reader Library is not great. But it works fine. I am able to use it with no issues. Sony's eBookstore is not slow and there selection is fine. So I do not see a problem.

Also, Sony has way more then 4% of the eBook Reader market. Remember, Sony sells world wide. And they've had a Reader available since the Libre was in Japan. So really, how the author of that article can say Sony is only 4%, I have no idea.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I have the same feeling, they just keep repeating that same old story over and over again. Favourites are: Sony store is expensive and Reader Library is no good.
Sony used to be more expensive. Key words here are used to be.

Reader Library has worked for me since the version first released with the 500. In most cases, we are finding that other software on the computer is interfering. SO really, it's someone else's poorly written software that causes Reader Library not to work. I have installed every Windows version of eBook Library and Reader Library without a hitch. Also, I've installed some versions on 5 different computer and different versions of Windows...XP, Vista, 7. So if it works here without a hitch and on 8 different computers, then I don't see a problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I read an article that said sony has 4% of the reader market, B&N has 5%, Amazon has 48%, and the rest is split among all the other companies. Of course they included the iPad with about 30% even though it is not a dedicated eBook reader. But the fact is that Sony has the smallest slice of the market for the three big companies--Amazon, B&N, and Sony.
You may want to have a look at this.

Your repeating to 'quote' this 'article' doesn't make it any better. If you want to cite numbers please be so kind to state also who made it, when it was made, how many people were asked, in which country and, and, and..... but it is obvious it only refers to the USA. I got news for you: The world is bigger.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
You should call back and demand to talk to a supervisor at the Sony store. I have purchased a number of titles there, but had one that was really poorly formatted and missing text (I was able to compare it to excerpts on Google books). I complained and was told they'd get back to me--they never did--after 3 or 4 weeks I called again and complained more angrily. I was told the book looked the way it did because it was a different edition, which was patently false. Then I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Finally, the supervisor agreed to give me a credit for slightly more than the book cost.
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have not had any issues with the Sony store. I haven't used it a lot since I tend to use kobobooks, but it has been fine. I usually price check and chose the store based on that and who has the book I want. I have not had any problems with any of the stores I have used so far.

I also disagree with that report that Sony is 4% of the market, at least here in Canada. I think they have a significant portion of the market here. The only readers you can find in stores are Sony or Kobo. You can of course order a kindle online so I'm sure there are quite a few kindle owners around, I know I was tempted when I was first checking out readers online but everyone I have talked to or heard about has either a Sony or a Kobo. I know that lots of people don't buy online or wouldn't know where to start online so they tend to get what is available to them in stores and that is what is here.

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #27
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The Sony store has the nice shopping cart feature. It's especially useful when selecting multiple freebies.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #28
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I've had no problem with the Sony software or eBookstore except for the fact that I still can't get the latest Star Trek book, Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward six weeks after it's release. I finally broke down and got the paperback but I still want the eBook! I know I can get it elsewhere but I have a Sony gift card waiting to be used.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Make sure you post a review of the book on the Sony site. It doesn't serve Sony well when the books they carry are obvious frauds.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote