Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Fantasy authors you (and I) should NEVER read

ACK!

So much by Lin Carter STINKS, and you will too if you read his entire oeuvre.

He was a Great Editor, but my God a lot of this man's writing really, really stinks.

What say you, oh Erstwhile Reader?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-29-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Terry Brooks.
Sword of Shannara was so clumsily written it was tough the read. I haven't read anything by him in the last few decades so he may have improved. Commodified Fantasy.

The Brothers Hildebrandt.
I tried to read Urshurak but was unable to finish. They should have stuck to illustration.

Mercedes Lackey.
I've only read one book by her, Magic's Pawn. (I think that's the name.) To quote Dorothy Parker, "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time is a huge waste of time as far as I am concerned. It just drags on, and on, and on, and on, and... well, you get the picture.

I think it's one of the most overrated fantasy series of all time.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time is a huge waste of time as far as I am concerned. It just drags on, and on, and on, and on, and... well, you get the picture.

I think it's one of the most overrated fantasy series of all time.
He needed a good editor who wasn't afraid of the scalpel. (In other words, someone besides his wife.)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
He needed a good editor who wasn't afraid of the scalpel. (In other words, someone besides his wife.)
I think part of the problem (Which is unfortunately very Common) was that success of the Series itself led to him adding in more and more, without anyone really wanting to tell him enough is enough.

As long as people Like us kept on buying, there was no real incentive to shorten up and finish.

I've read the series from Book one to ten at least half a dozen tmes, and you can really see how he seemed to have lost focus on the ending sometime around book 4 or 5. I actually stopped reading around Book ten, deciding to only go back when the last book in the series comes out.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
For me, it lost focus on book 3, I managed to finish it but won't start on 4th volume.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
What do you guys think of Terry Goodkind? I really enjoyed the first season of "Legend of the Seeker" which is somewhat loosely based on the "Sword of Truth" series, so I began reading them this summer. I am currently on book 8 (of 11). I enjoyed the first few books - nothing fantastic, but fun to read. They get worse as they go on. I kept reading them because I am curious to see how the series will end. Don't get me wrong, the books aren't terrible... you'll get these interesting bits mixed up with boring, repetitive, preachy bits, and I'm not crazy about some of the newer characters introduced, while some favourites seem to have disappeared from the story. All in all, I feel that Goodkind is yet another writer who could use a good editor.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
What do you guys think of Terry Goodkind? I really enjoyed the first season of "Legend of the Seeker" which is somewhat loosely based on the "Sword of Truth" series, so I began reading them this summer. I am currently on book 8 (of 11). I enjoyed the first few books - nothing fantastic, but fun to read. They get worse as they go on. I kept reading them because I am curious to see how the series will end. Don't get me wrong, the books aren't terrible... you'll get these interesting bits mixed up with boring, repetitive, preachy bits, and I'm not crazy about some of the newer characters introduced, while some favourites seem to have disappeared from the story. All in all, I feel that Goodkind is yet another writer who could use a good editor.
I think that is quite common when it comes to series that span over to many volumes without beeing loosely connected stories about the same characters. As in Orson Scott Cards Ender series etc etc, where each book can be read by itself really, while they still follow a somewhat connected plotline.

When you get mastodoonworks that are suposed to be a continuing storyline I think it in the end gets to the point where the author as you said "looses focus" and just keeps going. As if the story takes on a life on it's own and refuses to just die in peace.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard

I read about a quarter of the first book and gave up.
Richard's brothers' speech near the beginning invoking memories of his murdered father to manipulate the crowd ruined the book for me after I realized that the speech would best be read by Jim Carrey in "Ace Ventura" mode.

Last edited by BenG; 10-29-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Those were absolutley hilarious... Oh, and you owe me a new screen+keyboard BenG. My old ones got ruined by spraying coffe all over them.

"Characters Show Up" indeed
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'm Just glad i was not drinking anything when I saw these Spoof covers or I would probably have ended up need a new laptop as well.

I remember thinking much the same thing at time. Can you point to the source as I'll like to see more in the same vein
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Mervyn Peake and John Cowper Powys.

Horrible.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I'm Just glad i was not drinking anything when I saw these Spoof covers or I would probably have ended up need a new laptop as well.

I remember thinking much the same thing at time. Can you point to the source as I'll like to see more in the same vein
They're from this guy's blog:

Part One -
http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2...eading-habits/

Part Two-
http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2...bits-part-two/

Part Three-
http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2...part-the-last/
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Mervyn Peake and John Cowper Powys.

Horrible.
I like Peake a lot, the first two Gormenghast books anyway. Also a short story with Titus called A Boy in Darkness.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Wow... I think this poor guy just got "slash-dotted".... Webserver isn't answering anymore