Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Also... the Amazon forums are about one step above comments on YouTube in terms of reasonableness, usefulness and general civility.

I guess people might get some eyestrain with eInk, but I'd guess it's much more likely they're just reading more and that's causing the problem. I can actually read eInk much longer than paper.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I guess people might get some eyestrain with eInk, but I'd guess it's much more likely they're just reading more and that's causing the problem. I can actually read eInk much longer than paper.
I kind of do too. Though it's about the same as paper backs which had greyer paper.

But with other books that had whiter paper, the eye strain is worse. I assume it's from the brighter paper reflecting more light and tiring the eyes sooner.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That's my experience as well. I think the light gray really helps quite a bit.

Course, they could have been Topaz books... those things kill my eyes.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #19
talking_walnut
talking_walnut began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm a student doing a PhD. Got my own desktop with 22" screen and 2nd 15" (I think) monitor in front of me all day. Have a 15" laptop and another desktop with 22" screen at home. I'm still actively planning on getting an eBook reader.

Computer monitors are just not nice to work off. Plus I find it tiring to sit in front of a computer all the time. It'd be nice to be able to switch it off and do some reading of papers, tech books, etc.

I can see your point that it's unlikely that every college student will want to splash out on a laptop and reader at this point though. They're still a bit on the expensive side. But you could say the same about laptops when they first came out. Why buy your own laptop when the college provides computer labs free of charge?

It's a new technology. It'll take time to enter mainstream. I think they have the potential to be massive though. Might save my poor back carrying around loads of books
talking_walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #20
JohnClif
Enthusiast
JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, PC/Mobipocket Reader, Palm T3
I think ereaders like the Kindle DX will be a major advancement for college students.

The combined size and weight of all of my engineering textbooks for a semester was like over a foot tall and 6 to 8 lbs. I had to lug around at least three of these beasties at a time (Calculus-Physics-Chemistry or CompSci-PolySci-History) and to deal with these was a real hassle. A lightweight ereader like the DX, along with a letter-sized lined-paper notepad, or a netbook, would be great for classroom use (take notes on the netbook, read on the DX). I'll read the textbook PDFs on my 24" monitor in my dorm room, while doing assignments.

Also, the ability to publish classroom notes as a PDF means I can take the DX along with me, and study effectively with it pretty much anywhere... in the library, while eating, on a bus, etc.

Sheesh... students today don't appreciate how well they have it! I used to walk 5 miles uphill through the snow to the computer lab every day, loaded down with textbooks, with my stack of Hollerith cards, waiting to use the card punch machine.

Last edited by JohnClif; 05-20-2009 at 12:06 AM.
JohnClif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #21
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnClif View Post

Sheesh... students today don't appreciate how well they have it! I used to walk 5 miles uphill through the snow to the computer lab every day, loaded down with textbooks, with my stack of Hollerith cards, waiting to use the card punch machine.
And five miles uphill home too, I bet.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
And facing into the wind both ways too!
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #23
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
it actually is possible to have to walk up a hill both ways if your house is at the base of a hill and the school is located on the opposite side of the bill....and assuming u can't go around the hill.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote