Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
MArkTierno
MArkTierno began at the beginning.

Device: none
problem with multi-column tab stops

I'm converting a docx file to epub (also tried for Mobi but same problem) and htis book has some sectioons with columns in it. IE: Several lines with more than one tab stop. The first tab stop on the line comes in where it's supposed to be butn after that it seems to ignore amny other tab stops, so my nice and neat col;umns turn into a jumble after that first tab stop. What do I have to dio to get calibre to see all my tab stops and keep those columns/tables.

Oh. I'm on MAC, OS 10.10, Calibre version 2.10
MArkTierno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MArkTierno - I suggest you put the data into a table.

When using WP and DTP software, tabbing is never the way to format tabular data even if your targeting paper.

Using tabs to layout columns is a hangover from using a typewriter.

My golden rules for DOCX's - don't use tabs for horizontal spacing, don't use empty lines for vertical spacing. Use Styles and paragraph formatting.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
tab stops aren't really supported. The conversion engine tries to do something useful with a single tab stop, but more than that, will not work. Your best bet is, as BR points out, to use a table.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columns, tables, tabs