Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Prolific authors

Someone made a comment a while back about the number of books that Mercedes Lackey had written. I was cycling through some of my favorite authors for new books, and it occurs to me that many of my favorite authors have also written a lot of books. That made me curious about other prolific authors. My wife, especially, likes to dive into an established author because she can spend a year or more going through their universe.

What other authors are out there that you enjoy and would be considered prolific? Let's say, at least 50 full-length, published novels as a baseline.

To get it rolling, I came up with:

Mercedes Lackey
Piers Anthony
David Weber
Orson Scott Card
Nora Roberts
Franklin Dixon
Carolyn Keene (okay, these last two are probably a stretch for the term author, but close enough)

Even better, is there some sort of Amazon filter that could come up with such a list of authors?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Can't omit the Queen of Romance, Barbara Cartland, who published 723 novels.

Or Betty Neels at 134 novels.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Here is one list:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...9035815AAZSU8p

Here is another:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prolific_writers

Those add Isaac Asimov, Enid Blyton, Alexandre Dumas, and R.L. Stine that I am familiar with and a bunch more that I am not.

Off the top of my head here are some authors I think might meet your 50 books criteria in addition to those ones: Anne McCaffrey (Pern series alone is 30+ isn't it?), James Patterson, Terry Pratchett (Over 40 in the Discworld series).

Edit: Another list:
http://io9.com/11-most-prolific-scie...-of-1443957263

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-22-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Someone made a comment a while back about the number of books that Mercedes Lackey had written. I was cycling through some of my favorite authors for new books, and it occurs to me that many of my favorite authors have also written a lot of books. That made me curious about other prolific authors. My wife, especially, likes to dive into an established author because she can spend a year or more going through their universe.

What other authors are out there that you enjoy and would be considered prolific? Let's say, at least 50 full-length, published novels as a baseline.

To get it rolling, I came up with:

Mercedes Lackey
Piers Anthony
David Weber
Orson Scott Card
Nora Roberts
Franklin Dixon
Carolyn Keene (okay, these last two are probably a stretch for the term author, but close enough)

Even better, is there some sort of Amazon filter that could come up with such a list of authors?
Franklin Dixon is a pseudonym. The Hardy Boys novels were written by various writers.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Louis L'Amour.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Anne Perry.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don Pendelton started a series of books that are still going strong today, Don is no longer with us. If you take all of the books that have been written under Don's name and attribute them all to him than he is somewhere in the range of 1,400. Don's name is used as a house name for a group of writers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Lois McMaster Bujold in the Vorkosigan, Challion, and Sharing Knife series and a few standalone books.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Stephen King.
King can be prolific in one novel.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Isaac Asimov certainly deserves to be on this list.

James Patterson is also very prolific. I don't really enjoy his books, but the man is prolific.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Stephen King.
King can be prolific in one novel.

Very well said.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
John Creasey published over 600 novels. The story goes that booksellers complained that they didn't have enough space on their shelves under C for all his books, so he started using pseudonyms. Apparently he had more than 28 different pseudonyms during his career.

Edgar Wallace is often considered the most prolific writer of his generation, but he "only" published 170 novels, compared to Creasey's 600 plus. But Wallace also wrote a vast number of short stories, as well as many plays. I think I read somewhere that he would typically turn out a full-length novel in the course of a weekend.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Isaac Asimov certainly deserves to be on this list.
That's just what I was thinking. And Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke both wrote a good many as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
John Creasey published over 600 novels. The story goes that booksellers complained that they didn't have enough space on their shelves under C for all his books, so he started using pseudonyms. Apparently he had more than 28 different pseudonyms during his career.
600!!! I thought Andre Norton was prolific, since she wrote somewhere around the same number of novels as Agatha Christie and Louis L'Amour. But 600 is a class above!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Franklin Dixon is a pseudonym. The Hardy Boys novels were written by various writers.
Yes, that's why I called them a stretch. But they do give a similar experience, like what you get with a single author writing a series.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote