Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #31
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Does anyone know if it is possible to lock the screen so it doesn't rotate? I am seeing problems reading in bed on my side!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #32
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to lock the screen so it doesn't rotate? I am seeing problems reading in bed on my side!
yes, options and display settings, you can turn off the auto rotate, but it will rotate if the application demands it.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #33
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Thank you! Signed up to slideme and downed Kindle app - words perfectly! It even downloads my "archived" books.

NOTE: I love the "sephia" setting in the "fonts" - you change the background from pure white to a light caramel color, much easier to read from if you're going to read for a long time (for my eyes, anyway).

I'm starting to get used to this thing ...
I would like to put the Kindle app on the Vox too, but after playing around with it for the last couple of hours, I'm not really impressed. I'm thinking I might just return it and wait for the Kindle Fire to come to Canada. I haven't even tried anything demanding, only various books, and the thing is quite sluggish. Even the build quality is shabby - if I tap on one side of the back, it pushes in, as there is a space underneath. I guess I'm spoiled from my ipad.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #34
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Android Market is not open source - it's owned and licensed by Google. Therefore, you can't use it. There are many other free app markets (like getjar). http://slideme.org/ is a big one - they might have the Kindle app. A google search for "kindle apk" will probably get loads of hits too for direct download.
Thanks for the tip. Now have Kindle installed on the Vox and I'm going to move some books over. It'll be nice to not have to convert everything to epub.
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to get and install the kindle app? I'm new to android but so far love my Vox!

EDIT:

So I downloaded the slideme store and the kindle app. Logged into the kindle app. It retrieved my archieved items, and tells me to view select from the menu...but I don't see a menu??

Last edited by cypherslock; 10-29-2011 at 12:26 AM.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #36
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy65 View Post
How is the web browser on the kobo vox?
The Web Browser is a standard Android one - nothing fancy, but it works. The device can be a tad sluggish when there's a lot of active content like Flash on the page though... but again, that's pretty standard too. At least unless you've got a dual core device with hardware acceleration for the browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grepknob View Post
Here is my problem, I bought my first Kobo Vox at Futureshop, set it up, it did its upgrades no problem. The thing was the battery monitor had a question mark on it, and when I checked in the settings it could not see the status of the battery. Also I copuld not power it off. I would hold the button for 20 seconds and it would stay on. I decided to return it, so I wiped all the settings it came up with a message that I had a low battery and had to plug it in to proceed.

Anyway I returned it and got another one.
Odd. I had that too - Tier 1 support couldn't figure out what was happening either, so I took it back. Looks like it's not just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
That or the new 8" Archos.

I was hoping the head phone connector would let me us a head set with microphone.

Well, such is the nature of the econo tablet.
Yup. Not bad for $200, and at least they can sell it up here unlike the Kindle Fire. We'll see how well that device runs - the screen on this one's impressive, at least. Can't wait to try it in sunlight tomorrow.

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-29-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Corrected Dollar Figure
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #37
Annibronte
Enthusiast

Well, here's an oddity- I downloaded the Kindle app from slideme.org, installed it fine, hooked the Vox up to the laptop and transferred a bunch of .mobi files to the G:Kindle folder, no problems. However, I can't get .epubs to appear in the library. I moved them to what seems to be the most logical folder, G:Kobopegasus:epubs, but they don't show up on the device. All right, so now I have a colour, Android Kindle!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #38
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

I MUST be missing something. I downloaded the app onto my vox and registered. It synced but all I see is a little "home" and then the kid sitting by the tree. No menu or anything. Help!

EDIT: I'm such a dunce. Got it. But the one thing I can't seem to download is the actual user guide. It seems to only download the sample. And I've not been able to get Youtube vids to play at all.

Last edited by cypherslock; 10-29-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #39
Annibronte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
I MUST be missing something. I downloaded the app onto my vox and registered. It synced but all I see is a little "home" and then the kid sitting by the tree. No menu or anything. Help!

EDIT: I'm such a dunce. Got it. But the one thing I can't seem to download is the actual user guide. It seems to only download the sample. And I've not been able to get Youtube vids to play at all.

No one can get the user guide, apparently.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #40
cypherslock
Groupie

I'm still not sure how to transfer books (PDFs) from my computer onto my Kobo though. I do have MobilePDF.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:38 AM   #41
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Try sideloading them onto the SD Card, or downloading them with the web browser from a file storage site.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #42
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Someone will correct if I am wrong but I don't think the Kindle app will recognize ePub files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibronte View Post
Well, here's an oddity- I downloaded the Kindle app from slideme.org, installed it fine, hooked the Vox up to the laptop and transferred a bunch of .mobi files to the G:Kindle folder, no problems. However, I can't get .epubs to appear in the library. I moved them to what seems to be the most logical folder, G:Kobopegasus:epubs, but they don't show up on the device. All right, so now I have a colour, Android Kindle!
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #43
Annibronte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek790 View Post
Someone will correct if I am wrong but I don't think the Kindle app will recognize ePub files.
It reads epub and txt according to the kobo list of file formats

Something else now- the calendar and clock keep resetting to midnight October 1.

ETA: figured out how to get the epubs to read: transfer them via drag & drop, then in the Kobo app, in the menu, 'import content'. One book wouldn't transfer, but it's a start!

Last edited by Annibronte; 10-29-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: import
Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #44
cypherslock
Groupie

Haesslich: Wait....What SD card. It didn't come with one?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek790 View Post
Correct. But, the Kobo reader should work with ePub books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote