Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
PocketBook Pro 902/903

As i keep on reading , i am drawing close to the conclusion that i am better off with a pocketbook as opposed to a onyx. I did read on a couple of threads that pocket book has it's own set of problems.

Can some one please tell me what are the common problems experienced with pocket book 903 pro?

I am planning to read a deal of PDF files on it, so it is very important that i an use bookmarks (index) & jump to arbitrary pages.

Cheers!
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickomuer View Post
it is very important that i an use bookmarks (index) & jump to arbitrary pages.
this is no problem whatsoever: in fact your added bookmarks will be integrated with any table of contents - meaning that if your book happens to have no TOC, you can make it yourself.
My gripes are:
1) the possibility to make free hand written notes in pdf and djvu files is very limited: at this stage you can only select a piece of text, save it as an image, and then annotate free-hand the image. Better than nothing, but I'd like to be able to annotate free hand the file directly (this you can do with EPUB, MOBI etc)

2) a browser that goes landscape - the Midori one does not, the Links one does but is very primitive (e.g. you cannot even use bookmarks).

These issues should be addressed in the future, but at the moment are not there yet, and how long it will take is anybody's guess. Also bear in mind that the screen is not Pearl.

Also, there are some functions I do not use much (e.g. mp3 players), so there may be other issues that irk other people.

Having said that, I am very fond of my device, and very much like the full customizability that any PB offers, so much so that I also got myself a (superportable) PB360.

EDIT: some of the various capabilities are in the top message in this thread
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
paola - You are a star!

I read up and compared the displays. I have currently opted for a DXG. Thanks for all the information you provided, it helped me arrive at the conclusion.

Cheers!
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
hope you'll enjoy your new toy
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Enjoy the kindle DXG, BUT, the DXG do not have all the PDF capabilities that the PB902 have......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickomuer View Post
paola - You are a star!

I read up and compared the displays. I have currently opted for a DXG. Thanks for all the information you provided, it helped me arrive at the conclusion.

Cheers!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
PDF capabilities

Hi, I'm Adrian from Romania and I'm really interested in buying a PocketBook 902 for reading programming pdfs with a lot of text formatting and tables.
So how does PocketBook 902 dealing with pdfs ? Can you enlarge font/page but without loosing formatting or tables ?

Take a look at this:
http://static.springsource.org/sprin...rk-upgrade.pdf
and go to page 9 (chapter: 2.7 Repositories, Table 2.2.).

Is it possible to view it exactly as if I would be with Adobe Reader at 140% or 130% or 150% ? Consider only the document's width when comparing, it doesn't matter for me if it splits the page on vertical,

thanks you

PS1: it doesn't matter for me if it has or not margins, it only matters to keep the formating (including tables) but having bigger fonts
PS2: I assume you'll have to use the landscape view for this test whitch is fine with me
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
GypsyJon
Enthusiast
GypsyJon began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Pro 902
That link does not seem to exist...
GypsyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Sorry, try here:
http://www.springsource.org/documentation
After the page opening near the text "Spring 2.5 to 3.0 Upgrade Guide" you'll see the link for the PDF to test. It's a technical pdf document, something with java.

By the way, is there someone from Romania (anywhere in Romania ) who has PB902 or PB903 and is willing to show it to me ? I really want to see it's screen; I worked a wile with a iRiver Story (Vizplex, 8 gray scale) and I really didn't like it's gray background so that's why I really hesitate to buy a PocketBook till I'm not sure I'll be fine with it's display. I read somewhere that when working with PDF the font it's too gray on PocketBook and it's really hard for the eyes (I wear glasses so I need something very ease for them).
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The PB 90x screens are not as high contrast as new Kindle or Sony ereaders. I have a PB 902 and a Sony PRS-505 (about three years old). The two screens look identical to me in terms of background and foreground colours when I hold them side-by-side. If you can find a PRS-505 to look at, it will give you a good idea of what a PB 903 screen will also look like.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
adrhc
Connoisseur

I notice that PRS-505 has 8 level gray scale Vizplex it seems to be identical with iRiver Story display, am I right ?
For me iRiver Story has a very bad display for my eyes - even a sipix display is far better for me because it has a kind of dark yellow background instead a gray one.
PB has 16 level gray scale - does this a difference ?

Last edited by adrhc; 09-03-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
adrhc
Connoisseur

Please someone make some photos (preferable with a DSLR, in day light - not excessive sun light, but natural sufficient light) while showing pages from a pdf (pdf not zoomed or re-flowed but exactly with its original fonts). I searched some pictures over the internet but still I'm not sure is ok for me .
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
Please someone make some photos (preferable with a DSLR, in day light - not excessive sun light, but natural sufficient light) while showing pages from a pdf (pdf not zoomed or re-flowed but exactly with its original fonts). I searched some pictures over the internet but still I'm not sure is ok for me .

I am on to it.
Please be patient......
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
So how does PocketBook 902 dealing with pdfs ? Can you enlarge font/page but without loosing formatting or tables ?

Take a look at this:
http://static.springsource.org/sprin...rk-upgrade.pdf
and go to page 9 (chapter: 2.7 Repositories, Table 2.2.).

Is it possible to view it exactly as if I would be with Adobe Reader at 140% or 130% or 150% ? Consider only the document's width when comparing, it doesn't matter for me if it splits the page on vertical,
You 'll find your answers right here........
http://koolstraat.org/ebooks/Pocketbook.tar.gz

The filenames refer to the program that is rendering the pdf. I have made the pictures outside in the garden, so one of them is somewhat blueish. Hope you don't mind. Total filesize as a .tar.gz is 12 MB.
The file will be there till tonight 24:00 o'clock.

Regards,
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
adrhc
Connoisseur

@jekvb

Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
adrhc
Connoisseur

@jekvb did a great job, he used both viewers and zoomed just enough to see the entire page so thanks again .
Now I would like some similar pictures but taken with a DSLR (aperture F9) . I still think that PB has really gray fonts with both viewers (Adobe, PDFviewer) but to be convinced I need a crystal clean image.

Q2: is it possible to do something to make the fonts darker in PDF and not damaging the formatting (I think this would be equivalent with not using file conversion) .

PS: @jekvb photos are taken with a sony DSC-W120 (for any interested)