Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #61
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I have been a huge Heinlein fan for over 40 years. The Number Of The Beast is the only book I have ever physically thrown across the room! No - I didn't like it
Apart from the sexuality and the main characters being obnoxiously smart, it wasn't a typical heinlein so I can understand that. That said, I liked it.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #62
crash1211
crash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600, Entourage Edge, Nook Simple Touch, iPad2, Kindle 4
The Gap Series by Stephen R Donaldson was a great read. One of the best SF series that I have read.
crash1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #63
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1211 View Post
The Gap Series by Stephen R Donaldson was a great read. One of the best SF series that I have read.
I remember devouring the first 3 books in the Gap series, then the next two were also pretty good. Then all the many succeeding levels of gap series just became, to me, make-work reading.

But a hearty second to at least "White Gold Wielder" and the rest of that beginning quintology.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #64
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I'm thinking of giving House of Suns a go at the moment.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #65
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Robert Buettner's Orphan series

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Hi

Since I finished reading Spin by Robert Charles Wilson I have been casting about unable to find a new sci-fi novel to sink my teeth into. I put a unfortunate amount of time into The Reality Disfunction before I realized I found the central conceit of the villains too stupid to take the book or its universe seriously. So now I need recommendations.

My favorite books are Anathem, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky, The Forever War and Hyperion.

Basically I love an intelligent Space Opera, the exploration of a strange yet believable world and the struggle of a soldier caught in the stupidity of war.

Any ideas?
Robert Buettner's Orphan series (Jason Wander books) is exactly what you are asking for. Well written and well plotted stories.

I've got to also say though, when you are ready for a change of pace, try Paolo Bacigalupi's "Wind-up Girl".
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #66
tomj777
tomj777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just finished reading Stepherson's Reamde and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yet another step away from the SiFi genre, mind you (in case you're exclusively reading SiFi), but if you've enjoyed Cryptonomicon then you'll be good with that, I think.

However, by the same author, you must read The Baroque Cycle.

Going off topic a little, into the mix I offer Amitav Gosh's The Calcutta Chromosome which is astounding and won the Arthur C Clarke award in '97

@Bossman - thank you for linking to that list.
tomj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #67
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I heartily endorse the recommendation of The Sparrow by Mary Russell.

I also recommend the Xenogenesis Series by Octavia Butler. The ideas, the characters and the plots are unique and the writing is excellent. Aliens who rescue humans from their own depredations, alter them genetically to prepare them for a return to Earth, and find cancer interesting?

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote