Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #46
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
When you open the "make Sony book" pane, click on the "styles" tab and you can edit the fonts for paragraphs, titles, subtitles, epigraphs, etc.
Links are underlined. I look on this as a feature rather than a bug, because it helps me to recognise a link within the text.
There is a limited abilty to edit headers and footers on the "options" tab in the "make Sony book" pane. Mine are not underlined.
Patricia, thanks for your reply. I don't know if I am being extremely dense but for the life of me, I can't find any of these settings that you refer to. When I go into Make ebook->Sony Reader (lrf), In the "Styles" tab, I don't see any style for "link", "header" or "footer". Nor do any of the formatting options there anyway allow "Underline".

In the Options menu, there are some options for header/footer but again I don't see anything where I can specify anything about underlining.

Could you point me in the right direction, or if it isn't too much trouble show me a screenshot of what you are referring to? Thanks a ton!
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #47
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You're obviously looking at the right place, Orion. I'm a bit puzzled because none of my books have underlined headers or footers. So I suggest that you play about with the header and footer options under "options."
I just have the title as a header and it isn't underlined. Perhaps the underlining is only with author and title? I choose the chapter titles for footers and they don't get underlined either. So I'm supposing that it depends on what precisely one chooses.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #48
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Hi Patricia. Thanks! Turns out it is (as you mentioned) the author+title that creates the underlining. If I just stick to title then it displays fine although it doesn't seem that you can change the font size for the header and the footer.

I had another question. Is it necessary to do the auto page break thing to generate page breaks at all the chapter headings (title style)? I'm asking because I don't thing Harry's guide specified doing that and I noticed that despite this, all the chapters in the LRF file I created ended up starting on new pages. It would seem that just having them formatted as "title" automatically creates the pagebreak although I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #49
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right about not being able to change the font size for the headers and footers, Orion. But I'm glad that the underlining problem is sorted out.

As for the chapter breaks: BD generally starts a chapter on a new page if you have labelled the chapter title as a "title."
However, if ever you have a very short chapter - say if you are converting a book of poems - then BD tends to skip at least some of the pagebreaks.
Harry and I are both tidy-minded, so we make sure that all the pagebreaks are inserted. This is also a useful thing to do if you are planning to convert the book into other formats, or to make a mobipocket book (via Mobipocket Creator) from the BD source.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #50
orion2001
Groupie

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks . I'm going to go play with BD some more. I hope you don't mind if I pop back in with more questions at a later time. The PRS-505 is arriving in the mail tomorrow and it is a gift for my fiance. I'm trying to create as many nicely formatted ebooks for her as I can so I can load them all up before gifting it to her
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #51
Patricia
Reader

Please do, Orion. Your fiancee will be enchanted, I hope.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #52
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
I'm not sure how I missed this post or the Wiki, but I did. Now that I've read them, there's something I'd like to offer as a correction or alternative to using German as the book language to correct accented/missing characters and ligatures. The problem isn't the language, but the encoding. BD is Russian software and as such, it defaults to Cyrillic for the encoding. For English books, if you change the encoding to Western European (Windows) or Western European (ANSI) all of those problems go away if you're using a font that has all the necessary glyphs.

This was obvious to me after the first couple of books I made with BD had Cyrillic characters in them. Knowing some Russian and having been a web developer for way too long, it was an easy thing to fix, but I can see where it wouldn't be apparent to most people. Now the first thing I do when I import a book is change the encoding. I'd love to be able to find a way to permanently set Western European as the default encoding, but Cyrillic seems to be hardcoded into BD and each new file will revert to it, so it has to be reset for every book.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #53
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
Doh! I forgot to mention that the book encoding can be changed via the (what else?) book encoding item on the File menu.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #54
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Patricia, does the formatting of the input file matter at all? I have scanned and OCRed my first book and am in the process of proof reading the text. When I scanned the book, the text contained section breaks at the end of each physical page and the margins were set at the size of the inputted book page. While editing, I've removed the section breaks between each page except at the beginning of a new chapter and increased the page size to a standard letter page with 1 inch margins. I'm working on it as a doc file but can save it as html, rtf, or txt for use in BD. Is this all okay or do you have a better suggestion?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #55
Patricia
Reader

That all sounds fine, Kaz.
BD accepts docs. I wouldn't worry about the page size or margins: you can tweak these later, though I find the LRF default settings in BD are fine.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #56
Patricia
Reader

BD makes LRF and other formats using the book title as the file title. Most of the time this is fine. However, if you have already made a book with that title then it will be over-written.
This is easy to do because some titles are very common. Lots of works are titled, "Short Stories"; "Poems"; "Collected Poems".
So if you've used the title before then alter the filename when making the book. You can do this in the "Make Sony Reader Book" pane; and in the IMP, LIT and other panes.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #57
Jim Taylor
Jim Taylor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
I'm new to scanning and producing ebooks. I've been trying out Ecub 1.1 with some success, but would like to produe an Epub version of a novel I own without having a TOC.
I scan with a home made scanner to a camera,OCR to text files and then assemble and compile.
Any suggestions as to other software, etc. welcome
Jim Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #58
Patricia
Reader

Book Designer doesn't do ePub. Calibre or Sigil do.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Book Designer doesn't do ePub. Calibre or Sigil do.
What I do personally is to edit my books in BD, then export as HTML, convert the HTML to Mobi with MobiCreator, and then the Mobi to ePub with Calibre, but one could equally well go directly from HTML to ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #60
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
GutenText and Win 7

Has anyone gotten GutenText to run in Win 7.

Although it installs with no problem, in reports it cannot find the logo.

Everything sets up fine, it then claims it cannot find the file specified.

That sure knocks out a useful tool.

Bummer
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book designer, hints, tips