Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I do mention the Gutenmark converter towards the end of the BD piece.

I've never had any trouble with it. Perhaps it's worth uninstalling and reinstalling it, Charlie.

I'll upload an updated version of the hints and tips sometime in the next week, then further updates in the light of new suggestions.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Gee! Thanks, Jon..
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hints and Tips

Something that might be added to the Hints and Tips.

Book Designer does not save the working file to the Last File Folder until BD is shutdown. On large files, you might notice a short interval between the time you hit close and the time BD actually goes away. Until shutdown the Last File Folder contains the last book worked on. All interim saves are kept in the Temp Folder in a subTmp folder of its own and will be found in the highest numbered tmp. The other subTmp Folders contain previous books.

When a book is loaded into BD, the name of the book/file appears in the top left of the window next to the BD icon for window size and close. Sometimes, a file will load but no name appears in the upper left. I have found this with HTML files even from Project Gutenberg. If this happens, all work done will not be properly saved and the next time BD is started, a New Book screen will come up. Why this happens I have not yet found out. When this happens,though, immediately create a BD book file. Shut down BD and open the BD folder. You will see a file with a garbled name but the word untitled contained in the name, Rename the file to the book name and double click on the file to start it in BD and you will see the book name in the proper place. From then on everything works fine.

Hope this might help someone.

Last edited by crutledge; 01-24-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #19
colokie
colokie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Red face How to change Book Designer's default "save file as" directory

I've looked for this setting in Book Designer but I can't seem to find it ... maybe I'm just blind here , but ...

Can someone please tell me how I can change Book Designer's default directory for my saved ebooks? I would like the default directory for "save file as" to be a directory other than the Book Designer program directory.

Thanks so much for any help with this.
colokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Something that might be added to the Hints and Tips.
Book Designer does not save the working file to the Last File Folder until BD is shutdown. ....
Hope this might help someone.
Thanks for this, I get paranoid about whether my work is being saved or not, since the timestamp on the file doesn't update.

As a BD newbie I would recommend :
a) The very first thing to do in BD is learn how to save your work, and that BD is behaving as you expect in this respect. I lost several hours work assuming that clicking the Save icon, or pressing Ctrl+F11, was preserving it - when I restarted BD I'd lost it all (if I'd known what Crutledge knew I might have recovered it ). On another occasion, I couldn't reopen a saved file, and BD wouldn't then run properly - it seemed to have been corrupted somehow, so I had to reinstall it. Sorting these things out asap can save a lot of heartache.

b) In Settings, select the - "show "file not saved" warning" - option; it's a useful safeguard.

HarryT's tutorial suggests turning off AutoRefresh in Element Browser - personally, I've found it easier to leave it on.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #21
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's true, Sparrow. I mention some of that in the hints and tips and advise making a BD book almost before doing anything else. I'll stress it more when I update the document.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

HarryT's tutorial suggests turning off AutoRefresh in Element Browser - personally, I've found it easier to leave it on.
it depends what kind of editing you are doing. If im going to press the delete key. I turn auto refresh off. otherwise i leave it on
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by colokie View Post
I've looked for this setting in Book Designer but I can't seem to find it ... maybe I'm just blind here , but ...

Can someone please tell me how I can change Book Designer's default directory for my saved ebooks? I would like the default directory for "save file as" to be a directory other than the Book Designer program directory.

Thanks so much for any help with this.
Click the settings icon and then click the set path button and set away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I find that, with it on, the editor becomes virtually unusable. Much easier to turn auto-refresh off, and simply press the "Find" button again when you want to refresh the element list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #25
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find that, with it on, the editor becomes virtually unusable. Much easier to turn auto-refresh off, and simply press the "Find" button again when you want to refresh the element list.
I completely agree. It's just one more of those lovely, lovely BD defaults.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #26
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Maintaining Blank Lines/Paragraphs w/ Mobipocket Creator

For various valid reasons, some blank paragraphs must be maintained in the final eBook e.g. between verses of a poem. Blank paragraphs can be ignored if you are using Mobipocket Creator to produce the final book as it ignores all blank paragraphs. Trying to find a way to maintain desired blank paragraphs in Mobipocket Creator, I ran the following test on a poem with several verses. The poem was repeated four times in the file and each method was applied to one of the copies.

With blank paragraph from original file.
HTML produced by BD: <DIV align=justify>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
Removed by Delete Empty Paragraphs in BD.
Ignored by Mobipocket Creator (no blank paragraph in book)

With Insert Empty Paragraph (Ctl + E)
HTML produced by BD: <DIV>&nbsp; &nbsp; </DIV>
Ignored by Delete Empty Paragraphs in BD.

With Harry's Hint: (Enter period, center, delete period)
HTML produced by BD: <DIV align=center> </DIV>
Ignored by Delete Empty Paragraphs in BD.

Edit HTML file to replace <DIV> and </DIV> with <P> and </P>
This method was maintained by Mobipocket Creator. Everything worked fine even when every instance of <DIV> and </DIV> was replaced with <P> and </P>. Either a selective replacement or a "Big Bang" replacement seems to work. With the "Big Bang" replacement even undesired Blank Paragraphs will be maintained.

I have found that the most selective method is to place a paragraph containing "..." where I want an empty paragraph and then edit the HTML file to replace those lines of HTML with the Blank Paragraph :<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>.

HTML produced by BD: <DIV align=justify>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;... </DIV>
Replace with: <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>

Patricia's solution is even simpler: Replace with <BR>

The blank lines/paragraphs were maintened in the desired locations. If you are using Mobipocket Creator, you are already editing the HTML file to add TOC and START READING tags.

Perhaps someone, especially HarryT, has come up with a better solution.

Last edited by crutledge; 02-02-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader

Re lost empty paragraphs in the PRC version.
It's easy to solve. In your text editor
1. Find <DIV align=justify>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
2. Replace with <br>.

If you do this step after removing align=justify, then
1. Find <DIV &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
2, Replace with <br>.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #28
crutledge
eBook FANatic

You are right, Patricia.Much simpler.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Gee, that bug and solution sound just like the one I figured out not long after HarryT posted his Mobipocket tutorial.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Correct. That's why, as a part of the process of creating a Mobi file from a BD one, I do a global replace of:

<DIV >&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>

with

<BR>

Note that this "bug" depends on the version of the Mobi Reader. The CyBook displays the "<DIV>....</DIV> correctly as a blank line. The Windows Mobi reader doesn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book designer, hints, tips