Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #46
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Find a small computer building/manufacturer to see if they can solder the connector back to the board. I had a bad solder a few years ago on an old laptop and some guy charged me $15 to fix it. Could be a cheap fix to your problem.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #47
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Find a small computer building/manufacturer to see if they can solder the connector back to the board. I had a bad solder a few years ago on an old laptop and some guy charged me $15 to fix it. Could be a cheap fix to your problem.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot.

Mike
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #48
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
A couple of possible causes:
1. The device has been dropped (accidentally or otherwise) causing the button FFC to lose contact internally.
2. One of the function buttons is stuck in the depressed state constantly making a circuit and stopping all other function buttons from working. Generally the 'D' pad is a favourite - the 'left' pad is the weak side and too much downward pressure causes the internal weld to fracture or weaken!

As for the yellow LED - you won't always see it - it normally stays 'steady' from initial power on, and flashes while initially retrieving data. If it doesn't come on at all - refer to point number one above - they break easily!

If all was fine until you transferred books, try opening a separate folder on your PC mark it 'eReader files' and transfer EVERYTHING to it. Go to 'My Computer', right click on the respective drive letter for the Reader, then select FORMAT - format the Reader, disconnect from the PC and see what happens. If it's still the same it's a hardware issue and needs to be stripped to see why. If it cures it (unlikely but you never know) start transferring the files back folder by folder until you find the folder that caused the issue, delete the folder from the Reader and start going into it by sub-folder and transfer again - keep doing this until you find the faulty file(s) / folder!

Hope this helps.
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #49
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Obviously, a tip for the PRC 700 only. Thanks, Randa2060.
Actually the stylus for the 600 unscrews as well to produce the proper, non-destructive, device for resetting.

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #50
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
My PRS-505 displays the main menu and none of the buttons or controls function, except the power switch. I reset using the button on the back and then the power switch and get a "Starting up..." message, but never see a yellow or orange light on the charge indicator. It's red when charging and off otherwise.

I've not been able to get a hard reset either. Holding down the bookmark button and the Vol + together just does the normal soft reset. After startup, I'm still just stuck at the main menu.

The Reader software sees the device and I can add and delete books, so the device is still alive, but useless.

Any advice for me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebacker View Post
A couple of possible causes:
1. The device has been dropped (accidentally or otherwise) causing the button FFC to lose contact internally.
2. One of the function buttons is stuck in the depressed state constantly making a circuit and stopping all other function buttons from working. Generally the 'D' pad is a favourite - the 'left' pad is the weak side and too much downward pressure causes the internal weld to fracture or weaken!

As for the yellow LED - you won't always see it - it normally stays 'steady' from initial power on, and flashes while initially retrieving data. If it doesn't come on at all - refer to point number one above - they break easily!

If all was fine until you transferred books, try opening a separate folder on your PC mark it 'eReader files' and transfer EVERYTHING to it. Go to 'My Computer', right click on the respective drive letter for the Reader, then select FORMAT - format the Reader, disconnect from the PC and see what happens. If it's still the same it's a hardware issue and needs to be stripped to see why. If it cures it (unlikely but you never know) start transferring the files back folder by folder until you find the folder that caused the issue, delete the folder from the Reader and start going into it by sub-folder and transfer again - keep doing this until you find the faulty file(s) / folder!

Hope this helps.
This is the problem with reviving a 2 year old thread for a current problem. OakdaleMike revived this thread on 19 April 2010 he then explained the exact cause of his error in post 45 later the same day.

Now comes Beatlebacker who responds to someone (maybe OakdaleMike) with good info that might be for someone having trouble over a year ago.

Beatlebacker karma to you for trying to help someone? out. Even if I have no idea who it was you were trying to help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
battery, charging battery, reset