Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
anabellita
anabellita began at the beginning.

Device: none
Rooting it - ease, stability and features?

Hello! I'm in the process of choosing my very first ereader, and am seriously considering the Sony PRS T-1, provided, however, that I can get it to connect seamlessly to a number of ebook stores and read all formats (including azw).

So... it boils down to rooting. However, looking around the web, I found a few comments that are pulling me back.

* I understand that the rooted device has so far been rather unstable. Has the most recent root solved this issue? Is it not a useable rooted device?

* How difficult is the rooting process? I'm no geek or techie, but I can follow instructions, and like to play around (and am aware of the risks I run). Do you think noobs can do this?

* Have you been able to get the device to partially refresh the screen when reading, or is this still just a web/market feature?

* Finally, have you found that by installing the kindle app, readers such as coolreader, etc., the experience of getting (and buying) books is as streamlined and seamless as with, say, a kindle or a nook? I'll be using this for travel - meaning sideloading will lilkely not be possible if I want something on a whim, and meaning that I won't want to spend too much time getting the book to show up.

Thanks!
Anabella
anabellita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
schorsch-lukas
schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 with Rupor's (minimal/AMR) Root Package
Hi anabellita,

I've rooted with rupors AMR rooting kit about a week ago, and so far it's very stable over here. It is also quite easy to set up, even an inexperienced user can do it, in my opinion. All you need to know you'll find in this wiki.

A lot of interesting and working apps you'll find here.

I am using fbreader combined with colordict and am very happy with it. fbreader allows access to gutenberg, feedbooks and the like, so there'll always be enough classics to download and read for free once your on the road.

Sony has it's own store in the menu too, however, i never tried it.

No refresh works excellent here, although not with all apps. The letters appear just very rough, compared to the smoothness of fullscreen refresh mode. But it's still good to read. A little discussion here.

There might be a little more battery eating with the rooted device. Although i can't say reliably yet, because i played around a lot with apps and the no refresh mode. Once i start to read and read only, time will tell. But FBreader is sayed to be very resource friendly. Just the integrated colordict (once needed) seems to drain some. But it's a much better dicitionary than the stock one.

FBreader supports epub, rtf, fb2, html, plain text and (partially) mobipocket. I'm not sure if any reader supports azw on the sony. You might google for a conversion tool (maybe calibre can do it?), or search google play for another reader app.

Last edited by schorsch-lukas; 05-31-2012 at 12:30 PM.
schorsch-lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
anabellita

thanks! that's very useful.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
schorsch-lukas
schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!schorsch-lukas , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 with Rupor's (minimal/AMR) Root Package
you're welcome. i looked at the kindle too before i got one, but seeing sony has android and is much more open in every way over all won my heart. it also supports text to speech with the right apps. (cool reader or fbreader plugin...)
schorsch-lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Format shouldn't be an issue...Calibre will convert almost anything very quickly and simply and you can connect to gutenburg etc directly you can also use dropbox to transfer books just remember you can end up with a "brick" if the rooting goes wrong, if you want other than e reader capabilities you should consider a tablet there are a number of good android ones available cheap
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Be careful with rooting. It is NOT stable.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Must admit I struggle to see the point of rooting the T1. Its not exactly high speed with its own interface - dread to think how quickly it operates other android apps. I have a cheap android tablet and a smartphone so I like android...I guess I just fail to see what advantages rooting would give. If the T1 was more powerful and faster, maybe...
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I added the Boroda/Porkupan simple root to my T1. It was very easy to do and has been very stable. I also added the modified home screen, and love it. The root package I used installed dropbox and coolreader. I also installed pandora and tune in radio. My T1 has ColorDict, Dolphin browser, ebookdroid, FBreader & Sugarsync as well....some came with the root package. I have a 16 GB card in it, and over 4000 books. It is fast, and searching for a book is extremely fast. Also, browsing in Dolphin over the wifi, WAY better than using my Kindle keyboard for browsing. I use Calibre to manage the files on the Sony, and it works very well, so I don't bother with dropbox now.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
anabellita

thanks! the reason I'd root it is to install the Kindle app and a reader such as coolreader or fbreader. The purpose would be to have easy/stremalined/seamlessly integrated access to many more stores than the sony store. Nothing else. Not interested in a tablet, which does very little more than my netbook does, and does not allow me to read for hours on end on the beach.

If there are users still reporting slugginess, slow response times and instability, then I'll think twice.

thanks everyone!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
From what I've read on these forums everyone who has issues with battery/stability etc has usually rooted so I personally wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure there are probably loads of people with no issues as well but I'm happy enough stock.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I haven't had any problems with the rooted T1.

I am going to remove FBreader and the mobi books I put on the T1. I just don't like the interface of FBreader, and the mobi books don't show up on the home page like other recently read books do. There is really no need to have them on there. Coolreader is awesome.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Must admit I always download free, out of copyright books from diifferent sources and never bother with the Sony store. Guess that explains why the rooting thing doesn't appeal so much.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
mitchelln
Enthusiast
mitchelln began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
The only reason I upgraded from my PRS-650 to the T1 was precisely because I could root it

The ability to run apps is fantastic. I can run the excellent BBC News app, RealCalc, ConvertPad, Kindle, aCalendar, Wikipedia Pro, Tube Master (which has saved me from a lengthy travel delay more than once now), PowerAmp etc. I can even check my email.

I used my 650 daily to read books, but had to carry around my tablet to do other stuff. I can now just carry around my T1 most days.

I've gone from just an eBook reader to something much more useful.
mitchelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Flip Martian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelln View Post
The only reason I upgraded from my PRS-650 to the T1 was precisely because I could root it

The ability to run apps is fantastic. I can run the excellent BBC News app, RealCalc, ConvertPad, Kindle, aCalendar, Wikipedia Pro, Tube Master (which has saved me from a lengthy travel delay more than once now), PowerAmp etc. I can even check my email.

I used my 650 daily to read books, but had to carry around my tablet to do other stuff. I can now just carry around my T1 most days.

I've gone from just an eBook reader to something much more useful.
Are other apps like those you use not really slow on the T1 though? Genuinely interested. I guess I have an android phone so would always go to that automatically normally.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
mitchelln
Enthusiast
mitchelln began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Martian View Post
Are other apps like those you use not really slow on the T1 though? Genuinely interested. I guess I have an android phone so would always go to that automatically normally.
Nope, they are all really usable Even the interactive game Wordplay works well.

Last edited by mitchelln; 06-15-2012 at 09:45 AM.
mitchelln is offline   Reply With Quote