Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Yes, there is... so, in PayPal's case, you'd have to add enough to your charge to cover the 30 cents, plus the tax loss. Obviously, for micropayments, PayPal's model wouldn't work well (not that it's designed to work for micropayments).
So it would seem that Fictionwise has the best system where you prepay in to their micropay account and then they do not charge a transaction fee. I also noticed that Amazon has started selling .49 small ebooks but I don't know what they do about the fees.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #47
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So it would seem that Fictionwise has the best system where you prepay in to their micropay account and then they do not charge a transaction fee. I also noticed that Amazon has started selling .49 small ebooks but I don't know what they do about the fees.

Dale
Amazon only accepts US credit cards for the $.49 ebooks (Amazon Shorts).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #48
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Amazon only accepts US credit cards for the $.49 ebooks (Amazon Shorts).
Yes, but do they eat the .40 cents that a credit card charges?

Dale
Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #49
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
That Penguin gives away ebooks, considering what Penguin has to offer is great news, but is it really where things should go?

I suspect they are right, ebooks at this stage will probably promote paper book sales. But that will not be the case in the distant future (or midrange).

I would rather have a system of micro-cash, where ebooks are brought for very small amounts.

The point being that authors, translators, coders and publishers should get something for their labour, and as the potential market size is in the millions this could mean a healthy income, for books that sell for 50 cents or less.
Greg Schofield
Perth Australia
Why doesn't Penguin just open a subscription site with several levels of access.

1. Free eBooks using whatever Penguin books they want plus public domain books gathered from any source on the WEB.

2. For pay subscriptions at various prices, with the cost based on the country code in the subscriber's IP address. Maybe one book a month for 2 to 5 USDollars for US subscribers. .5 to 2.5 Euros for addresses in the EU, 1.2 Canadian dollars, etc. The Servers can adjust the math based on exchange rates with a country-by-country load factor.

3. This way Penguin can led the way to a sort-of World-Wide market for eBooks from every publishing house that wants to join, and provide eBooks in every language selling all the time, everywhere.

Just a suggestion.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #50
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I think it is ironic that it is a Penguin guy saying this since Penguin has been a late adopter of ebooks AND because it has made no real effort to provide its books in ebook format on any consistent basis.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #51
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

jeff gomez just got hired at penguin. maybe they're changing...

(ok, yes, i _did_ kind of laugh at the ridiculousness of that idea
when i typed it. but still, it's _possible_, right? yeah, sure it is.)

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I think it is ironic that it is a Penguin guy saying this since Penguin has been a late adopter of ebooks AND because it has made no real effort to provide its books in ebook format on any consistent basis.
I was kinda thinking something similar. A fair number of the books I've been looking for recently are from Penguin or one of its labels. I've seen no consistency in what's made available, or what formats a particular title is made available in. They do seem to have gotten better in the pricing department than they used to be.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Yes, but do they eat the .40 cents that a credit card charges?

Dale
Given how big Amazon is, they likely process it themselves and reduce the cost.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 AM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Given how big Amazon is, they likely process it themselves and reduce the cost.
However it works, it works. They are not passing on charges to the end user. That is the point of micropay accounts to avoid extra charges. Fictionwise does it by keeping an account with money in it and Amazon uses a different system to defray the costs, but how is conjecture. Both seem to have a micropay system that works for them.

Dale
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
However it works, it works. They are not passing on charges to the end user. That is the point of micropay accounts to avoid extra charges. Fictionwise does it by keeping an account with money in it and Amazon uses a different system to defray the costs, but how is conjecture. Both seem to have a micropay system that works for them.

Dale
It's not a bad way to approximate the intended micropay system, but as it doesn't actually deal with increments of a dollar below 1/100th its value (one cent), is it really a micropay system? Or just low pricing at work?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-06-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Should've read a bit closer
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It's not a bad way to approximate the intended micropay system, but as it doesn't actually deal with increments of a dollar below 1/100th its value (one cent), is it really a micropay system? Or just low pricing at work?
Well, I guess that since you originally brought up the issue in this thread you will have to define what you meant

I do think this is a reasonable topic and, in this age of a worthless penny, something that can use a reasonable solution to allow low cost purchases. (I guess on reflection the penny isn't worthless, it is actually worth more if you melt it that its value.)

Dale
Old 11-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well, I guess that since you originally brought up the issue in this thread you will have to define what you meant
Actually, GregS brought it up. I just picked up the ball!

When I talk about micropay, I'm talking about a system wherein I can buy a single item for a fraction of a cent, say, 15 hundredths of a cent, or 0.0015 dollars, and be charged precisely 0.0015 dollars. I don't know any system that doesn't simply round up to the nearest standard increment (0.01 dollars, or 1 cent) when making such transactions, including mass purchases by industries and manufacturers who regularly deal with small items worth a fraction of a cent. I'm pretty sure no retailer does it with consumers without rounding up to the nearest cent.

The micropay you've been talking about is "very low prices," but still prices rounded to the nearest standard increment. What Amazon and Fictionwise are doing, is not what I'd call micropay, just "very low prices," achieved by absorbing fees themselves and not passing them on.

Somebody please let me know if my use of the terminology is wrong, or if someone's using an actual micropayment system that I don't know about.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #58
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
As far as I am concerned, Steve Jordan is spot on in definition.

Moreover, he is absolutely correct that the Amzon case is one of simply low prices, not micro-cash.

Minuscule amounts may never be applicable to ebooks, but it is not hard to imagine selling short stories, book review emagazines and such like for fractions of a cent.

Likewise, historical pictures and illustrations.

More importantly, we could see shifts in copyright payments on the net, where individual works, illustrations etc.,. could be paid directly to an author's account as items are sold. This could well work out to very small fractions of a cent on low priced items.

Micro-cash is for me the oil for the cogs of ecommerce, something we need in order that authors, publishers and editors are paid for their work in a market place where reproduction is virtually free and potentially where the market, for all sorts of electronic goods and services, might, in the near future, be counted in billions.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #59
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
As far as I am concerned, Steve Jordan is spot on in definition.

Moreover, he is absolutely correct that the Amzon case is one of simply low prices, not micro-cash.

Minuscule amounts may never be applicable to ebooks, but it is not hard to imagine selling short stories, book review emagazines and such like for fractions of a cent.

Likewise, historical pictures and illustrations.

More importantly, we could see shifts in copyright payments on the net, where individual works, illustrations etc.,. could be paid directly to an author's account as items are sold. This could well work out to very small fractions of a cent on low priced items.

Micro-cash is for me the oil for the cogs of ecommerce, something we need in order that authors, publishers and editors are paid for their work in a market place where reproduction is virtually free and potentially where the market, for all sorts of electronic goods and services, might, in the near future, be counted in billions.
well if you look at the model Fictionwise uses it is easy to see how this could be done at any decimal point you choose. (Although a penny is not a bad start) It is all electronic transfer from a predefined base. The only trick is the cost of doing the transfers. This is where the money system falls down.

Dale
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
The only trick is the cost of doing the transfers. This is where the money system falls down.
Yup, the only way it could work is for the volume to be high enough that the cost per transfer drops down to ten-thousandths or hundred-thousandths of a cent, the lower the better, obviously.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote