Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Audiobook Fan
Audiobook Fan began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Reader
Convert from Kindle's .azw to other formats?

There seems to have been a lot of interest and solutions created for converting other file formats to something viewable on Kindle, but what about the other way around. Are there any solutions yet for getting from Kindle's .azw and converting to a non-encrypted file of .pdf, .doc, .lit, or HTML?
Audiobook Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AZW files are just .mobi files. Once you remove DRM, you can use for example mobiperl tools.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Many of the AZW files aren't DRMed so all it takes is changing the file extension to .mobi
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
AZW files are just .mobi files. Once you remove DRM, you can use for example mobiperl tools.
Not in every case. I'm finding some Mobi eBooks are created using high compression. Mobiperl won't handle those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that many AZW files use the high compression option. Perhaps Amazon is trying to save on Whispernet costs. In any case, mobi2oeb format shifts any DRM-free MOBI file to HTML and images (the .opf file it produces only contains the bare minimum of info though). It is part of calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
TantricWarrior
Enthusiast
TantricWarrior has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Viewsonic G-Tablet (rooted), CyBook Gen3, Newton 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Many of the AZW files aren't DRMed so all it takes is changing the file extension to .mobi
How does/can one tell (from looking at the Amazon page) if it is DRM'd or not? Or can you only tell once it is downloaded?
TantricWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantricWarrior View Post
How does/can one tell (from looking at the Amazon page) if it is DRM'd or not? Or can you only tell once it is downloaded?
There's a discussion of that here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...uestion+kindle

Often, if no sample is offered the book is drm free. But not always. If the file name is a number and not a word it often means no drm...but again, not always.

Usually only smaller books (less than 200 pages or so) have no drm. But not always...
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In English, there is no way to tell short of buying the eBook. But, there is also no way of knowing ahead of time if you'll get AZW or Topaz.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In English, there is no way to tell short of buying the eBook. But, there is also no way of knowing ahead of time if you'll get AZW or Topaz.
I assume that the sample chapter (if available) will be in the same format as the full ebook. One reason an ebook might be in Topaz is to use a different font, but the font used can be terrible. If there is no sample and the ebook ends up in Topaz with a non-standard font, then this is a perfectly good reason to return the ebook and if enough Kindle owners return Topaz ebooks perhaps Amazon and publishers will get the message that Topaz is a bad idea.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Or they might get the idea that Topaz is a good idea since the DRM cannot (currently) be removed.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've only purchased about a dozen books (some were $0.00) and most have DRM, all had sample chapters but *none* are Topaz. I only spend $$ for Kindle books if I don't care if they are locked to that device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
be nice to just be able to edit the azw format books. Someone will develop some proggies before long
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
memoconsult
memoconsult began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Loving my Kindle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Seems very simple... but HOW???
memoconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
memoconsult
memoconsult began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Thanks igorsk!!! I'll try and tell you what happened.
memoconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I've only purchased about a dozen books (some were $0.00) and most have DRM, all had sample chapters but *none* are Topaz. I only spend $$ for Kindle books if I don't care if they are locked to that device.
I had about 25 free, non-public domain Amazon books on the Kindle for PC app that I wanted to be able to read on my new JBL. My first go-round, I kept getting a Topaz error message. I discovered by accident, however, that if I archived the book and then re-downloaded it from Amazon, voila, no Topaz error and the process worked. I ended up with 5 of the 25 apparently really being Topaz, the rest are now liberated.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote