Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Would you pay extra for a an error-free ebook?

Almost all of the ebooks I buy from the big publishers have far more errors than the paper versions, including many spelling errors that would have been caught by even the most basic of spell checkers.

I wonder how much money those publishers are losing because of this? Would you pay extra, and if so how much, for an ebook that had some form of error-free guarantee?

The guarantee might not be absolute, perhaps just that there is no more than one error per 10,000 words. I would gladly pay an extra 20% for a book that came with such a guarantee.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Nah. I make so many typos myself I have grown accustomed to them

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
So, would I have to pay more money for them to make well their job? I don't think so.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I expect the book to be error-free, so no, I would not pay extra for an error-free version. If they had an error-free version, wouldn't they have put that one out?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I expect the book to be error-free, so no, I would not pay extra for an error-free version. If they had an error-free version, wouldn't they have put that one out?
Think of it another way. Say you had the choice of buying a book from one of the big publishers, or the same book from another publisher that provided an error-free guarantee. Would you still buy the one without the guarantee just because it was one cent cheaper?
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If there was only one cent difference, of course, I'd buy it error-free.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I swear I must read the wrong (or the right) books. Or I'm just ridiculously lucky. People keep talking about all these errors in ebooks from big publishing houses and I just don't see them. No more so than I always would have in the physical book, anyway.

If they're there and I'm just not noticing ... well there's your answer as to whether or not I would pay more for an error-free version.

Quote:
I wonder how much money those publishers are losing because of this?
I'd say they're losing right around $0. Otherwise, you wouldn't be seeing the errors.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-10-2013 at 03:13 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I won't pay extra for a BPH to do their job or stop hiring out to the lowest bidder in India to botch (er make) their eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Why should I pay extra for something that should be correct, or do there terms and conditions state, that since they cant be bothered they can push anything on you.

I think it should be the other way around, should we expect partial refunds for errors.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Think of it another way. Say you had the choice of buying a book from one of the big publishers, or the same book from another publisher that provided an error-free guarantee. Would you still buy the one without the guarantee just because it was one cent cheaper?
If it were to come down to that, I would of course pay the extra for an error free book. Of course, that decision would be based on the difference in cost being rather small.

Seriously though, it's not too much to expect a certain quality control being put forth into a product that costs money.

Oh, and I`d just like to point out that White Lung by Grant Buday is the most error-prone book in the history of ebooks. Or at least the product Kobo is selling anyways.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I swear I must read the wrong (or the right) books. Or I'm just ridiculously lucky. People keep talking about all these errors in ebooks from big publishing houses and I just don't see them. No more so than I always would have in the physical book, anyway.
Ditto. I simply haven't seen a lot of errors in e-books from the major houses, and those are pretty much the only e-books I read.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OCR errors can be quite a mess in backlist eBooks.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

the other question is... Why can't eBooks be well formatted? Most are not something I would want my name on either as author, publisher, or creator of the eBook.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
I think it should be the other way around, should we expect partial refunds for errors.
I think getting a refund for errors amounts to the same thing as paying extra for no errors. So how much of a refund would you expect to get for a book that had many errors?

If you were offered say a 20% refund if a book you buy contains errors, but you find that the book in fact has no errors, then you have in effect paid 25% extra for an error-free book.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
This is why I don`t feel so bad stripping the DRM from a lousy product that I`ve paid for in order to make the necessary changes to have a readable book.

And a question: would book x be identical (in terms of correct grammar, punctuation etc.) between Kobo & Amazon? Just curious.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote