Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #196
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Looks good. Well, with a full blown X server under the hood, I'd possibly prefer some readily available X-based VNC viewer anyway... So there probably isn't much of a use case for the K5/KPW.
Yep I suppose so.

It does give me some heart that your code did the same thing SDL did when Xorg is running. I think some lua diving is in my future.

Thanks for the great work!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #197
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I test my native mode apps in K4/K5 diags SSH, to avoid fighting with Xorg. For touchscreen testing, there is a diag menu item that locks the touchscreen so it does trigger accidental menu selections.

Because the K4/K5 have at least two full screens that can fit in the framebuffer, and there is a /sys/ file you can poke to set the starting Y position, you can scroll to the second buffer for native mode and use that, while everything else uses the hidden first page at offset 0 in the framebuffer. That way Xorg stays on the other side of the "fence", so no problems (but it still needs to be tested)...

I gave twobob a little screen scroller script that demos that /sys/ file.

Spoiler:

I want to kill my machine. I must have tried like 9 different things to get the ssh working now. All the things listed on here and some voodoo stuff.

It just won't, everytime I hear ssh over DIAGs now a shiver goes down my spine. Utterly can't comprehend it.

Back to the thrust.

Re the script. you did indeed, perhaps there is some future in swapping that "on the fly" for all K5 driven graphics apps. Don't know. more tea. with Caffeine today I think.

All in the application works great other than not actually updating the screen.

I code grab the code I suppose and have a look.

Cheers all. and well done Hawhill.
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #198
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can update the screen with an eips loop running in the backbround (or another SSH session):

while :;do eips '';usleep 80000;done &
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #199
twobob

heh. Actually I had tried this with prboom and it didn't help.
however tetris is working quite happily... : ) thanks for the reminder.

now... on-screen input ; )
where was that mplayer script...

Note to self. don't run it with the & while testing

Last edited by twobob; 10-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #200
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

prboom (SDL) uses a mutex, waiting for Xorg to release the framebuffer. I got it working before by commenting out that framebuffer mutex wait in the SDL code... You still get little glitches now and then on the top menu bar, when the desktop writes there, but it "mostly works"... It would be better to tell Xorg to let go of the framebuffer, but we need to take what we can get.
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #201
twobob

Ooops Miss. I was testing the tetris FB. will test this now.

EDIT: Yup, this fixes that.

Perhaps I should just go ahead and comment out the mutex in SDL and refactor.. anyway - thoughts for another thread.

now working great. thanks for the reminder. perhaps we can just drop an extra eips'' in hawhills source. I could go and have a look.

Last edited by twobob; 10-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #202
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Note to self. don't run it with the & while testing
Yeah, I prefer to have two SSH sessions, and run that command without the & in the other one. Then you can kill it with ctrl-c. No messing around with ps and kill... But if you put that loop in a script without the &, then launch that script with &, it is easy enough to find the script and kill it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #203
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
just tested the viewer on k4, and it works perfectly! (no inverted colours this time )

thanks again hawhill, this is amazing. the vnc kindlet from the other thread lags like crazy, but this is going to be genuinely useful.

the launchpad alternatives on k4 are kite, which i've stopped using because it has quirks like running all the scripts on reboot, or cr3runner, which is a kindlet and seems to work great once properly set up. i'll share my script for cr3runner once i've tweaked it to my satisfaction.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #204
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Oh, dang, the ioctl() for updating the eink screen is taken 1:1 from the K3 -- probably it's a bit different on the K5. However, the K4 seems to take it quite well. But that's along the lines of what you posted earlier, geekmaster: K4 in "normal" mode is very much the K3's eink driver. Is there a region-based update for the K5? I'd rather not call eips, there would likely be something like on the K3, even an ioctl() perhaps?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #205
twobob

this information would be useful to me also... *looks around expectantly*

goes and reads things...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #206
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
Is it possible to speedup refresh rate on mouse, say by refreshing mouse all the time in vnc no matter it moves or not? I am using DX as a 2nd display, and the slow feedback on mouse position force me to look at LCD all the time. I feel I can wait for the other part of display to come up slowly, but I have no confidence on mouse position without looking at LCD
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #207
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Oh, dang, the ioctl() for updating the eink screen is taken 1:1 from the K3 -- probably it's a bit different on the K5. However, the K4 seems to take it quite well. But that's along the lines of what you posted earlier, geekmaster: K4 in "normal" mode is very much the K3's eink driver. Is there a region-based update for the K5? I'd rather not call eips, there would likely be something like on the K3, even an ioctl() perhaps?
The K5 eink update ioctl() gets passed a data structure that is different and INCOMPATIBLE between 5.0.x and 5.1.x firmware. You cannot even use the mxcfb header file if you want compatibility with both. See my geekmaster kindle video play for an example of how I used copies of the structures instead of a header file. It works for all eink kindle models (but the paperwhite will need updates first)...

The gmplay program does not do dithering (that is done by raw2gmv, also in that thread somewhere). And raw2gmv dithers without a dither table, doing direct differential calculations of dither thresholds instead. That allows dynamic contrast and brightness adjustments, besides the fact that CPU calculations are faster than DRAM memory access table lookups in many cases on modern computers.

And please feel free to borrow my code.

But for a preliminary test, I suggesting replacing the ioctl call with system("eips ''"). That works everywere. And it even automatically selects the update type (including area updates) when it can...

Even my GMLIB code falls back to eips calls if the ioctl calls fail.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #208
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
i discovered i have to disable the k4's screensaver
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 1
if kindlevncviewer is going to be running for more than 5 minutes, otherwise i get an error message and the kindle reboots.

re-enable afterward with
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0
obviously

edit: ok so here's the whole of my current script for running the viewer:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
killall -stop cvm
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password buttpipe 10.0.2.1:0
killall -cont cvm
(change the password (yours probably isn't "buttpipe") and ip address (of the computer running the vnc server) to suit your config)

i have two versions with different ip addresses for usb and wifi, and i've added the lines to my commands.txt for cr3runner:
Code:
/mnt/us/cr3runner;kindlevncviewer-wifi;NULL;KindleVNCViewer (WiFi)
/mnt/us/cr3runner;kindlevncviewer-usb;NULL;KindleVNCViewer (USB)

Last edited by hippy dave; 10-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #209
twobob

yep. its in the startup script. IIRC now... I think it might be the wrong way round. check it.

Do you get the extensions on a 4? or is it non Launcher friendly?

EDIT

Quote:
./kindlevncviewer -config config.lua "$@"
err.. no its right. use the launcher then

Last edited by twobob; 10-05-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: its fine
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #210
twobob

although I do note the lua script is missing. unsure if that is intended

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc