Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-31-2006, 03:36 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Today is the last day of May!

Hello once again.
Today is the last day of May, it's 9:30 in Germany right now (and should be the same in the Netherlands) and so far the big May-Launch has not happened. All the information we had so far (apart from NatCh who got very disturbing info from iRex in the US) was pointing at this month as a release month.
Henrycat, our dear friend and "informer" fed us hands-on and inside information about the Iliad and also hinted on the release date.

Now here we are, all hyped up and more than a little annoyed, thinking that maybe the pessimists were right after all. Of course the release could happen today or in the next couple of days, especially since irex has been telling people (including me) this over the telephone, but it could just as well be that they decide to stretch the wait even longer to get the device more finished (which isn't too bad actually, but very nerve-racking for us...).

I'm starting this thread, because the others were getting a bit long.
So start using it to speculate, discuss and let off steam.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
You said it. They must be aware of this forum especially with Henrycat testing one of the devices, how much effort does it take to release some sort of statement. Even if it is to say it's going to be delayed X monthes at least we know where we stand. I could waffle on but I'm sure those of you who were looking forward to this share my feelings.

blaaah
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Of course the release could happen today or in the next couple of days,
Forget it

Quote:
especially since irex has been telling people (including me) this over the telephone,
In April and in May they were telling about May - and you still believe?

Better, lets see how long will stay this phrase about postponing from April to May 2006 at Irex site. And what they replace it with... in a couple of weeks

Last edited by TaKir; 05-31-2006 at 03:52 AM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@TaKir
If they replace it IN a couple of weeks...I'll lynch them.
Their communications are bad, but they can't be that bad. They'll have to either inform us that there has been another delay today or in the next days or release the device. I think that their popularity will otherwise drop through the bottom of the bin...^^
Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Ah well, the day is still young.

This is what you get if you put a bunch of labrats with a new toy at the head of a new firm.

I guess they have all their attention firmly fixed on getting things to work, webshop or software:
"Jan, have you got that webshop running yet?"
"What webshop?"
"The shop on our website.."
"We have a website? Cool!!"
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

*lol*

At least we have someone with some humour left here...^^
nice one High 5!
You're also from the Netherlands...maybe you could cal them and ask if you could pick one up...i'd be interested in hearing their reply...:-)
but you probybly live to far away from eindhoven to make that thread come true...:-)
Old 05-31-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
@TaKir
If they replace it IN a couple of weeks...I'll lynch them.

I've wrote at russian ebook forum (http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...?p=41052#41052), and may be here too, (don't remember), if they begin a test phase in April, + 3 months for test itself + couple of months for correction of a software and maybe hardware + couple of months for finishing the device = end of 2006 - begining of 2007. And it is in case if everything goes ok.

It is an optimistic prognosis indeed!
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
but you probybly live to far away from eindhoven to make that thread come true...:-)
There is no such thing as too far away in the netherlands
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

just as there is no such thing as "too high up" you mean?
^^
Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Well.

What can I say. No update from Irex. No responses to my emails. Anyone else getting dissillusioned (again)?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Let's assume the shop opens today. Would you buy the iRex? I find it highly disconcerting how the company - a Philips spin-off nonetheless - lacks any kind of communication skills.

Imagine you run into problems with your newly purchased $650+ e-book reader device. Will they be ready to quickly provide support? Henrique probably knows more, but considering how little they cared to provide pre-sale support, I am somewhat reluctant to get the iLiad.

Last edited by TadW; 05-31-2006 at 05:29 AM.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, i would buy it immediately. The hardware seems fine. Remote updatecapabilities for the OS and software are built in. And the most commen formats are readable quite well.

I guess that iRex is just a handful of people and that they are overwhelmed with interest for their device. I truely belive, that they hoped to get things done by the time they mentioned. Now things went wrong and they are reluctant to pass the information of failure. Wouldnt you be? On the other hand, most customers would really appreciate honest communication these days.

And if something is wrong with my unit, id call em (so far, they have been answering calls ) and hope they can handle it.

Thats just a problem we will have as early adopters.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 AM   #13
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Thumbs up Yeah, shop just opened!

Just kidding!

You people are obsessed with this thing. So much that it becomes fascinating to watch the discussion.

Relax, take a break, come back in a few weeks, then decide whether this "holy" reader is actually worth 650 friggin' euro!
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Well, i would buy it immediately. The hardware seems fine. Remote updatecapabilities for the OS and software are built in. And the most commen formats are readable quite well.

I guess that iRex is just a handful of people and that they are overwhelmed with interest for their device. I truely belive, that they hoped to get things done by the time they mentioned. Now things went wrong and they are reluctant to pass the information of failure. Wouldnt you be? On the other hand, most customers would really appreciate honest communication these days.

And if something is wrong with my unit, id call em (so far, they have been answering calls ) and hope they can handle it.

Thats just a problem we will have as early adopters.
On the homepage are no open jobs .

....There are no vacancies at iRex Technologies at this moment. Please contact us at a later stage.

They "not planning" to expand at this time ?
They really plan a big launch ? (with non customer - service ?)
Or they are waiting for the big order´s form a newspaper - groupe ...

Irex* i´m waiting ! ... >F5< ... no shop ... >F5< ...
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Let's assume the shop opens today. Would you buy the iRex? I find it highly disconcerting how the company - a Philips spin-off nonetheless - lacks any kind of communication skills.
Exactly the point I tried to make a couple of weeks back. I changed my view after the Channel 4 segment. But I'm rapidly moving back to it.

Btw does anyone know what they mean by spin-off? It's not a normal business term.

Are they a subsiduary of Phillips? or simply a bunch of ex-Phillips employees who have struck out on their own.

I have been assuming that they are owned (at least partially) by Phillips. As such I've not been too worried about support. However if they arn't then I will have to re-think.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote