Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
html conversion bug in 0.6xx series?

Okay, I have noticed on some of my zipped html books that ePub conversion in 0.6xx produces ePubs with the body text "squished" into about an inch of the middle of the screen on my 505. Previously, the conversions using the 0.5xx series of calibre handled this just fine. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
0.6 tries to more faithfully replace the formatting in the source HTML. It's likely that your source html has its contents either ina table or with large margins.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
0.6 tries to more faithfully replace the formatting in the source HTML. It's likely that your source html has its contents either ina table or with large margins.
On, maybe, a related question:
Does Calibre preserve the existing CSS information when converting for example from a zipped html source to ePub?
From the question it might be obvious that I'm expericing problems with that and have resorted to using Sigil for converting html+css to epub.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Okay, I have noticed on some of my zipped html books that ePub conversion in 0.6xx produces ePubs with the body text "squished" into about an inch of the middle of the screen on my 505. Previously, the conversions using the 0.5xx series of calibre handled this just fine. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well.
Actually, I have...

When I've seen it, it's been with a MS Word generated HTML file, and right at the end of the in-line CSS, there's been this...

Code:
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
The problem is that the viewer's honoring the "margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;", specifically the 1.25 inch left & right margins! I don't know why Calibre now passes it whereas before it stripped it, but one work around is to edit the HTML and delete the section above, although you could try just passing "div.Section1 {}" in Calibre's CSS override box. (Not tested)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, calibre does preserve CSS.
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
JvdW
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, calibre does preserve CSS.
Then the epub generated by Sigil should be the same as the one generated by Calibre, right? (I haven't touched the custom CSS part or the remove empty lines stuff)

Joop
Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre does perform some transforms on the CSS, as I'm sure Sigil must as well.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post
Then the epub generated by Sigil should be the same as the one generated by Calibre, right?
Nope. Sigil pushes all CSS into the top of the HTML file for editing. This can result in css from multiple files being combined for unexpected results. See Issue 58 for an example of how it combines and produces multiple style settings for the same entry. Only one will be used, not necessarily the one you want.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
JvdW
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Nope. Sigil pushes all CSS into the top of the HTML file for editing. This can result in css from multiple files being combined for unexpected results. See Issue 58 for an example of how it combines and produces multiple style settings for the same entry. Only one will be used, not necessarily the one you want.
Thanks for the info and Sigil and combining various CSS styles. I'll try to come up with a simple example of what Calibre does with CSS that I think shouldn't happen.

Joop