Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Post Buying magazines and newspapers not from Amazon - preparing for the shutdown

I want to start a thread containing links on where to buy e-ink magazines and newspapers from somewhere other than Amazon. I read a lot of magazines and newspapers on my kindle, and am trying to find alternative sources. Unfortunately, the mainstream newspapers and magazines I checked all refer you back to Amazon for the kindle version. I know how to create and send articles in a cod newspaper using Calibre, but that’s not what I am trying to create here.

If you have a link to a magazine subscription or newspaper subscription that can be subscribed to independently of Amazon, please post it here.

It would be great to have a list of viable options so the switch off in the 3rd quarter is less painful for the tiny minority who enjoy reading magazines and newspapers on their kindles.

(I am aware I can read these on my iPad, etc., and I do this already, I just prefer to read on my kindle.) (I am also aware reading newspapers is going out altogether, and that newspapers are dying.)

Please post any links on this thread! Thank you
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Most seem to want you to install an app. But you noticed that already.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Most seem to want you to install an app. But you noticed that already.
Yep, and I fully expect this thread to remain empty, but I thought I’d try, anyway.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You might look into using calibre. It has a Fetch news feature that uses RSS to pull down articles and send them to your Kindle, or over a USB cable. There are hundreds of 'recipes' to choose from.

Of course main purpose of calibre is to manage a library of ebooks, but you can use it just for collecting news.

https://calibre-ebook.com
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:19 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/
https://www.nightmare-magazine.com/

Last edited by Tarana; 01-17-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2023, 04:00 PM   #6
lukealex
lukealex began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Le Monde diplomatique (https://mondediplo.com) digital subscription allows to download each issue as azw3 (or epub).

French news magazine; this is the English language edition (it's translated).

It looks really good on the Kindle too—much better than any magazine I've tried from Amazon.
lukealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:36 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex View Post
Le Monde diplomatique (https://mondediplo.com) digital subscription allows to download each issue as azw3 (or epub).

French news magazine; this is the English language edition (it's translated).

It looks really good on the Kindle too—much better than any magazine I've tried from Amazon.

Thanks so much for this. I just subscribed to the French version. I sideloaded both the azw3 and PDFs as send to kindle does not work with azw3 and the writeable PDF that sending wirelessly provides is too faint. The sideloaded azw3 and PDF look really great. The epub would not work with send to kindle. It’s great that they have provided so many versions. I’ve attached pictures - the first one is of an article in the azw3 file, the others are all from the PDF. I think it looks wonderful, and wish I could do this for my regular newspapers. Good for Le Monde Diplomatique. Now to find out if Le Monde itself does anything like this. ETA: It doesn’t.

ETA: I transferred the epub eventually, after adding it to Calibre and 'converting' it to an epub! Following advice from elsewhere on this forum. After doing the 'conversion' in Calibre, send-to-kindle web app worked properly. The epub version has the added bonus of the lock screen image being the front page of the newspaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCF7BE70-37DE-45B3-86FA-83C21521C48F.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	199118   Click image for larger version

Name:	15226982-B863-49F0-9C7E-E6EDCB37F9AC.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	199119   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF04778F-7BCE-4483-9A35-2A70890F2AD2.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	199120   Click image for larger version

Name:	9507A958-803D-4F8B-8314-AEEBC1AA861D.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	199121   Click image for larger version

Name:	63847C5A-9CCB-4D04-A1C2-A4C5C11CEDBD.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	199122  

Last edited by Pjama; 01-20-2023 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added how to transfer the unwilling epub
Old 01-18-2023, 11:38 PM   #8
Pjama
Guru

Thanks for these! If I get enough links from people, I will add them to the first post.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:09 PM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Not purchasing but check with your local library. Mine gives access to a pretty huge array of magazines and newspapers for free through Libby and Pressreader.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:03 PM   #10
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not purchasing but check with your local library. Mine gives access to a pretty huge array of magazines and newspapers for free through Libby and Pressreader.
Thanks so much for this, although I cannot get magazines etc. with my current library card, I did a little digging and found out I am eligible to have another card for a large state library which does loan out digital magazines etc. So I’m joining it right now. Thank you

And - I have joined and am now reading Paris Match. Very pleased.

Last edited by Pjama; 01-21-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #11
Pjama
Guru

Being able to access newspapers and magazines on my kindles was something that always made me return to them after kobos. I now have a Kobo as well as a Kindle (to access epub library books that cannot be sent to the kindle).

Once this is taken away, the only thing tying me to the kindle is the excellent Scribe with its beautiful 300 dpi screen and really nice handwriting ability and the send-to-kindle functionality.

When Kobo release their next large screen reader, I'm sure it will have the improved screen, and I suppose using Dropbox is pretty much as good, if not better, than send to Kindle.

At that point, I don't think anything will be tying me to Amazon any more. I appreciate I am in a minority of approximately one, and therefore do not factor into Amazon's business plans.

But, the newspapers and magazines were really the thing for me that differentiated the Kindle from the other ereaders out there, and I will be sad to see this program shuttered. In order to prepare for this event later in the year, I have weaned myself off using the kindle to access newspapers and canceled my remaining subscriptions.

It really seems a most strange time to take this step, just when they have finally released an ereader with a screen that is actually big enough to read periodicals on.

I know it is because they use an extremely old format related to mobi, but it's a shame they basically can't be bothered finding a different way to send them - I would even settle for PDF format! I know it's all about the $$$$$$$.

Once a company gets to the behemoth size, the cheese-paring starts.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:56 AM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post

When Kobo release their next large screen reader, I'm sure it will have the improved screen, and I suppose using Dropbox is pretty much as good, if not better, than send to Kindle.
Kobo's Dropbox, Pocket (indispensable for me) and Overdrive capabilities far outshine Amazon's offerings, IMHO.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote