Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
screenreader
screenreader began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Please help! After upgrade, I can't see pdfs!

Hi everybody, I hope you can help me.

Today I decided to upgrade my cybook 64 Version 1.2 (Build 796). The last days, the device just keep freezing in the splash screen.

So after the upgrade, I tried reading the same pdfs that worked before and the only thing I get is blank pages.

I build my pdfs with acrobat, and never had a problem before. I've messed with various zoom configurations, but no text is shown, although it displays the correct number of pages.

I've attached a file (the Barton Fink screenplay) for you to check. This file worked fine just yesterday. (Just set the horizontal view).

This is a very important issue for me, because I work as a screenplay reader and I need the cybook for my job.

I hope you can help me, thank you in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Barton Fink.pdf (293.9 KB, 335 views)
screenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
This is a know problem with this build. It happens when the pdf uses special fonts but does not have them embedded - the next firmwareupdate should fix thís problem.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
screenreader

Thank you for the answer! This springs more questions, though!

-Will embedding the fonts solve the problem?
-Will installing the font (Courier New) in the Cybook solve the problem?
-Is there a way to "undo" the upgrading?

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, installing the required fonts on your CyBook should fix the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, sadly it does not with 796 - with version 820 that comes preinstalled with new devices (but has not been publicly released yet) it does solve the problem.

Embedding the fonts should solve the problem - changing the fonts to a standardfont should aswell.

If you tried it out please let us know if it worked!
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Pulp - I'd seen reports that this did solve the problem, but I didn't realise that it only did so with 820 and not with 796. Perhaps it might be worthwhile contacting Bookeen and asking if an installation image for 820 is available?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
maybe the 820 firmware hasnt been released, because it is for the 400 MHz machines???
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Very doubtful. Most likely just an "internal build" which Bookeen didn't deem offered sufficient new features to be worth releasing.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
screenreader

Hi everybody!

Sorry for the delay in answering and thank you for your concern and great answers.

Installing the fonts did the work: now I can perfectly read every pdf.

Than you again!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Pulp
Palm Addict

Wow thats an interesting turn, did not work with my device - maybe I didn't install the right fonts