Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #346
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
I did something useful on mobileread.

icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #347
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There are already threads posted about using the Kpw fonts on other models of the Kindle.

Updating the Kpw fonts (or installing different ones) would be just targeting the creation of a new cramfs or of installing fonts somewhere that the Kpw will pick them up (I think that last one has been posted).

The above means learning to use a few command line commands and tools.

If you mean an "Auto-magic, do everything for me" installer file . . .
You'll just have to wait until some developer writes one for themselves.
(Note: It will not be me, I do system's software not application's software modifications. NMF - Not My Field)

Apologies for this, but could you kindly point us out to the procedure for installing fonts where Kpw will pick them up? I looked and searched hard, but couldn't find it.

Many thanks!
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #348
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Apologies for this, but could you kindly point us out to the procedure for installing fonts where Kpw will pick them up? I looked and searched hard, but couldn't find it.

Many thanks!
My bad, it was a post about picking up screen savers.

There might be an equivalent for fonts.
If not, then you have to re-build the cramFS image file that holds the stock fonts with your changed or added fonts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #349
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
My bad, it was a post about picking up screen savers.

There might be an equivalent for fonts.
If not, then you have to re-build the cramFS image file that holds the stock fonts with your changed or added fonts.
Why so complicated?
bartveld doesn't want to physically replace/update the system fonts, but merely wants to use *other* fonts.

I suspect that the same approach as on the KT would work: simply provide a different fontconfig configuration, which will prefer the custom fonts over the stock ones.

@bartveld: so... I'm still waiting for my PW to try it out. I will eventually look into the fonts issue, but if FontHack doesn't work out of the box and needs some adjustments for the PW, expect it to go rather towards the end of the TODO list - there are other things which I personally consider more important / more interesting. (Side note: but extrapolating from this post, I'll do it anyway ).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #350
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I found Calibri is the best font for reading after tried all fonts in the wiki page, it is the only font better than defaut imo And it also has support for my language Vietnamese (Utf-8?).

Anyone interest can give a try (:

[MOD: Attached file deleted, since it seemed to be a copyright font.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-19-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #351
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilogis View Post
I found Calibri is the best font for reading after tried all fonts in the wiki page, it is the only font better than defaut imo And it also has support for my language Vietnamese (Utf-8?).

Anyone interest can give a try (:
What is the license on this font?
It certainly looks like copyrighted material to me:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...y.aspx?FID=287
Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #352
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is the license on this font?
It certainly looks like copyrighted material to me:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...y.aspx?FID=287
So what? We're not allowed to discuss copyrighted fonts?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #353
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So what? We're not allowed to discuss copyrighted fonts?
I was posting about the attached archive of font files, which is now gone. See site guidelines, section 8.

Sure we can talk about them, and also pay for the privileged of using them if that is what the copyright holder wants.
Just follow the link I gave, click "purchase", pay the fee, download the font(s).
OR, if feeling rich, buy a license for MR users of Kindles to use the fonts.

Last edited by knc1; 10-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #354
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I was posting about the attached archive of font files, which is now gone. See site guidelines, section 8.

Sure we can talk about them, and also pay for the privileged of using them if that is what the copyright holder wants.
Just follow the link I gave, click "purchase", pay the fee, download the font(s).
OR, if feeling rich, buy a license for MR users of Kindles to use the fonts.
Ah ok... I didn't see any attachment, so I was under the assumption that you were under the assumption that the font was published on the Wiki (which it is not). My bad
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #355
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
@bartveld: so... I'm still waiting for my PW to try it out. I will eventually look into the fonts issue, but if FontHack doesn't work out of the box and needs some adjustments for the PW, expect it to go rather towards the end of the TODO list - there are other things which I personally consider more important / more interesting. (Side note: but extrapolating from this post, I'll do it anyway ).
Yes, your elegant solution for the KT still stands out, so expectations for the PW are high! All the same, I won't buy it for a while, so don't rush on my account.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #356
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Touch
Error:6

Hi,
Can't install I get error: 6, I've tried with just restarting but I get error:3.
I've also tried the bug-fix version but stil get the error:6.
Thanks.
askak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #357
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by askak View Post
Hi,
Can't install I get error: 6, I've tried with just restarting but I get error:3.
I've also tried the bug-fix version but stil get the error:6.
Thanks.
Error 6 is a "general-purpose" error, wich means that something in the installer has failed. The source of the installer is here. You can try to manually execute the commands (and report back which one failed).

Since there have been thousands of downloads already, and you are the first person to report such an error, it is likely that something is wrong with your device.

Edit: What percentage is the progress bar at when it fails?

Last edited by ixtab; 10-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #358
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Error 6 is a "general-purpose" error, wich means that something in the installer has failed. The source of the installer is here. You can try to manually execute the commands (and report back which one failed).

Since there have been thousands of downloads already, and you are the first person to report such an error, it is likely that something is wrong with your device.

Edit: What percentage is the progress bar at when it fails?
Nothing, maybe one second and fails.
askak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #359
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by askak View Post
Nothing, maybe one second and fails.
Which means one of the first three commands (before the set 33%) failed.
Repeat each of those commands in order on your machine, let us know the first one that fails.
With that information, it should be possible to tell you what to do next.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #360
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@askak: Check the logs (;dm in the search bar).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks