Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #76
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Great news! Shame as I'm in the UK no benefit to me yet.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #77
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I was thinking ... to my memory, the last time Amazon announced a feature coming 'later this year' (Lending for Kindle) it launched on December 31st! I hope their 'later' is a lot earlier than that ...
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I was thinking ... to my memory, the last time Amazon announced a feature coming 'later this year' (Lending for Kindle) it launched on December 31st! I hope their 'later' is a lot earlier than that ...
Yea... good point. Although, considering the amount of free books out there, without even needing a library, and I only read 1 book a month (which is usually a purchased book) I can wait.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #79
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Gee I wonder why. (giggles)

Maybe the sky is falling, some of the smaller epub readers are going to be hurt by this. Which is exactly why Amazon is doing this. They know that they are losing perspective Kindle owners who want to use the library. They have probably realized that they are losing enough to make it worth their while to figureo ut how to get Kindle books into the library.

I am sure that there are folks who will still prefer the Nook and the Sony. I know that there are people who strongly prefer a touchscreen and really don't like the keyboard on the Kindle who will still buy those devices. I know that there are folks who want nothing to do with WiFi or 3G connectivity. I know that there are people who prefer the 5 inch screen of the 305 for portability purposes.

The Nook Color should be fine, the color screen and ability to root it and turn it into a less expensive tablet will continue to serve folks.

I think Kobo is sunk in the US. The pricing on it is too high for what it does; especially now that there is a $114 Kindle (yes with ads) that can be used at the library. (Is that the proper use of a semi colan? Please PM me if it is not.)

The Nook Classic is in trouble. Someone is really going to have to want that LCD touchscreen strip to choose a similarly priced Nook Classic over the Kindle.

Sony could be interesting. Sony has a very devoted following. Most of the Sony fans seem to strongly prefer the lack of WiFi/3G and the metal casing and the lack of a keyboard and the touchscreen. But a new user is likely going to find it that much harder to justify paying the prices Sony asks now that library usage is available to all ereaders regardless of format.
Good points.

I personally consider the Nook 1st gen "dead" already. It was before and this was the hammer which finishes the work. The dead horse and old argument that ePub is good because you get access to Public Libraries is now gone and not part of the equation.

I did not think on formats when I bought my Kindle. As a matter of fact, as long as I can read and buy the books I like and enjoy with my device, the format is irrelevant to me. I was not able to find good computer books with ePub/Nook and B&N: poor book selection, so formats means nothing to me and a lot of other users as well, hence the Kindle's success.

For Sony it will be interesting, because even when those devices are expensive they are sturdy and have nice features; I'm guessing here but maybe they will try to boost their library or make some alliances with other online bookstores. But what B&N is going to offer now? With so many and nice Android tablets coming and already in the market, like Galaxy Tab wifi for example, and without the need for rooting, they will have to drop the Nook Color price again or give full access to Android Market.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #80
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
From Overdrive's blog: [bold mine]

http://overdriveblogs.com/distributi...or-publishers/

"This integration with library, school, and college eBook collections provides a huge benefit to authors and publishers who will have millions of additional readers using local libraries to discover eBook titles.

We’re excited about this new opportunity. We believe that the massive increase in exposure will benefit you and your authors by creating a broader user base for library eBooks. "

Is this what the publishers want? More people reading their ebooks for free?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #81
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea... good point. Although, considering the amount of free books out there, without even needing a library, and I only read 1 book a month (which is usually a purchased book) I can wait.

BOb
I definitely have more than enough books of my own to read (and I already borrow books from the library) but I'm just really excited to see how it'll work

Last edited by Loosheesh; 04-20-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: to fix typo
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #82
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Is this what the publishers want? More people reading their ebooks for free?
NOT for free. Libraries pay for books. And as an author, I can tell you that I want everyone to be able to read my books. Full stop. Anything that makes libraries healthier is a good thing. Anything that gets more people reading makes the world a better place.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #83
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's often said that the problem for authors isn't finding buyers, it's finding readers. That's probably why giving away free books has been so successful, more readers equals more potential buyers.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #84
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would be more likely to try out a new author by borrowing the book from the library then buying the book. If I liked the author, I would be happy to buy more works from that author.

Is there a way for Indie authors to get their works into Overdrive? For the most part I avoid indie authors because it has been so hit and miss, with far more misses then hits, so I have stopped buying them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #85
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
NOT for free. Libraries pay for books. And as an author, I can tell you that I want everyone to be able to read my books. Full stop. Anything that makes libraries healthier is a good thing. Anything that gets more people reading makes the world a better place.
Yes, authors wouldn't be adverse to this but I'm specifically referring to publishers. We already have at least three who have difficulties accepting this arrangement.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #86
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
This is very cool.
And the best part is that it'll put an end to the "is it ethical to strip DRM from a library ebook to read on one's kindle" threads.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #87
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well - let's just think of it as yet one more party of the Major 6 to poop on. I mean, we haven't had a major publisher gripe fest for a good 60 days or so, it's time.

I agree that adding Kindle owner's to the Overdrive mix is going to grow those wait lists to even bigger numbers. Time for those acquisition budget people to get the calculators out again.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #88
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Technically the major four, two of the Pubs will not allow ebooks to be lent out by the library.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #89
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Yes, authors wouldn't be adverse to this but I'm specifically referring to publishers. We already have at least three who have difficulties accepting this arrangement.
Yup, I know. And I can tell you, as an author, when I make a decision about a publisher, this is a significant consideration.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #90
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Okay, going from the Overdrive blog post, they are following the logic that the libraries are buying licenses, not files (Baen takes the same position) so the book can be delivered in any format. Simple, straightforward and religion-free.
Epub, mobi, whatever, is irrelevant; what matters is the book, not the format.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote