Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #22351
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A sad situation at best... Sorry to hear that you have to go through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
This may be a stupid question but can you get the Family Responsibility Office to garnish his wages?
I'm no lawyer, but I seem to remember learning that in order to garnish wages, one has to re-file for each month/week? They don't just issue a general statement to take what is owed. Also, they are only permitted to take a certain small percentage each time, rather than the full amount due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
@Pookeysgirl - I hate to say it, but you need a lawyer!
Absolutely. Without one, you will never be able to get a fair hearing. There are advocates for just this sort of situation. Locate them and have them deal with the legal side of things.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #22352
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I really hope everything works out Pookeysgirl.

This may be a stupid question but can you get the Family Responsibility Office to garnish his wages?
They can't because he's been self employed all this time. No steady employer to garnish from. That's been my biggest problem. He goes to court, but he always has an excuse why he can't pay and he never seems to have a job. FRO is ridiculous. The last girl that represented them was soft spoken, when she spoke at all. Just accepted the judge giving him another 2 months to make payments. Didn't even try to make a point that he should go back to jail. What kind of lawyers are they?

I just realized that the year he claimed to have made only $25,000, was the same year he spent 6 months in jail (2011). If he was out that whole time he would have made at least $50,000.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #22353
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
@Pookeysgirl - I hate to say it, but you need a lawyer! It's the only way to navigate the legal system and protect your rights. Otherwise you're going to be continually jacked around by this jerk. Does your community have any Pro Bono lawyers available? Perhaps through a women's shelter or women's organizations?
I can't afford one and Legal Aid of Ontario refused me because my total household income is too high. I'm sick of everyone taking my husbands income into account along with mine, but never do they want to see what our expenses are. We pay $400 for child support for his kids. Almost $1400 rent. I had to take out a loan to get another vehicle because ours died. Not to mention what I pay for my kids. I just can't make it work. I have to go in alone. Unless there's some kind of duty council lawyer that I can use. Not sure if they are available to me, or if they are only for defendants to use.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get some better info on my options through the Family Law Info Centre. At least I know for sure they are free and I can ask questions and get real answers.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #22354
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
A sad situation at best... Sorry to hear that you have to go through this.

I'm no lawyer, but I seem to remember learning that in order to garnish wages, one has to re-file for each month/week? They don't just issue a general statement to take what is owed. Also, they are only permitted to take a certain small percentage each time, rather than the full amount due.
Stitchawl
The employer gives the court a Notice of Garnishment or something like that. Then they take the total amount owing for the month and divide it between however many paychecks he gets that month. If there is no stable amount, then they would take a percentage. Plus he still has $26,000 in arrears to pay back. I used to garnish the wages of employees at my last job. It's a real pain in the butt.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #22355
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I'm sick (literally) of the neighbour's smoke from burning paddocks. For one think it's too early in the season, for another, I can't remember him doing it in the 25 years plus we have lived here. Constant mild headache and blocked nose and trouble sleeping from snoring due to said blocked nose. On the plus side Ive just had a good coffee and am enjoying some lovely quiet time.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #22356
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I ran into one of my pet peeves today.

I got the ideal USB charger, except for the LED; it's bright blue and it can double as a reading light. WHY don't manufacturers realize those things are also used in bedroom? I can understand a blue LED looks nicer on a white casing than a red one, which is far less intrusive in the dark, but I like to be able to sleep!

So I took out my roll of black electrical tape again and now my charger's got a nice black "racing stripe". Some light bleeds through the white casing and the UBS port next to it but with it lying on the ground I hope I won't see it at night.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #22357
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I ran into one of my pet peeves today.

I got the ideal USB charger, except for the LED; it's bright blue and it can double as a reading light. WHY don't manufacturers realize those things are also used in bedroom? I can understand a blue LED looks nicer on a white casing than a red one, which is far less intrusive in the dark, but I like to be able to sleep!

So I took out my roll of black electrical tape again and now my charger's got a nice black "racing stripe". Some light bleeds through the white casing and the UBS port next to it but with it lying on the ground I hope I won't see it at night.
I have to do this same thing with my dvd player. Bright red light shining right at me all night long. I already know it's off, I don't need a bright red light telling me this .
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #22358
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
++ to both
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #22359
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I have to do this same thing with my dvd player. Bright red light shining right at me all night long. I already know it's off, I don't need a bright red light telling me this .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
++ to both
I don't mind red lights as much as I do blue lights. I once bought an alarm/radio/cd player. And instead of the usual red numbers on a black background it had black numbers on a bright blue lighted background. I returned it the same day. My current computer casing has got a fan in the front and it also comes with a blue LED light behind it. Luckily that can be switched off, I call it my Christmas decoration .
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #22360
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
My desktop case has similar idiocy built in...

The most annoying fact about that is: remembering the times when LEDs actually WERE so weak that they were of no other use than notification lights.

Why don't they still use the low emmiting ones for this purpose!?
How (much more) stupid can that become?
Notification lasers maybe?

Bathroom in the evening:
While shaving; I notice a bright green dot on my forhead in the mirror.

Have they finally found me, or is it just the electric toothbrush reporting 'full'?

Nah - thanks...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #22361
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had this problem with the clock I use in the bedroom. When I press the light bar to see it, the light was so bright I could land a plane by it! Bright, bright blue! So I bought some blue semi-opaque plastic, folded it over a few times, and glued it to the front of the clock. Now it's just bright enough to be able to tell the time, but not so bright that I shocks me into wakefulness in the middle of the night if I look at it.

Stitchawl
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #22362
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My television has one of those bright blue "power on" LEDs.

Seriously. If I'm watching television ... I probably know that it's on. And I don't need a bright blue light right next to the picture.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #22363
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Speaking of annoying LEDs, I remember a couple of my phones had, in addition to the notification LED, a network status LED. This would constantly blink on and off just to indicate that you had service. It was really distracting in the car at night.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #22364
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I had this problem with the clock I use in the bedroom. When I press the light bar to see it, the light was so bright I could land a plane by it! Bright, bright blue! So I bought some blue semi-opaque plastic, folded it over a few times, and glued it to the front of the clock. Now it's just bright enough to be able to tell the time, but not so bright that I shocks me into wakefulness in the middle of the night if I look at it.

Stitchawl
I had that same problem with my alarm clock. It's blue and I always had to turn it away at night so it wasn't facing me. 6 years later, I found the dimmer switch on the side .
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #22365
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
6 years later, I found the dimmer switch on the side .

Stitchawl

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness