Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
I use M-edge Latitude covers on all of my ereaders. They zip shut so are good protection, and I can zip them when the front is folded back so it stays out of my way when I'm reading.

The only drawback I've found to them is that the lining picks up cat hair, but it's easy enough to clean.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have a lighted k3 cover that, while it has a rubber band holder, stays closed just fine, and 90% of the time I forget to use the band. We also have 2 cheap K4 covers that stay closed just fine, with no magnets or bands.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
I use M-edge Latitude covers on all of my ereaders. They zip shut so are good protection, and I can zip them when the front is folded back so it stays out of my way when I'm reading.

The only drawback I've found to them is that the lining picks up cat hair, but it's easy enough to clean.
+! .. I have 2 Latitudes and love both, though the cover on my DX is starting to look a bit ratty
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My Touch cover doesn't have a closure, but the cover lays flat over the screen. No different than a hardcover book, really. I guess I just don't understand the original post.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Is this about ebook covers or ereader covers?

Second... what? Plenty of covers stay close. Oberon, SONY...
Amazon covers... I don't really have a big problem with my KT cover.... I guess it depends where/how you carry it. Just not worth getting worked up about....

EDIT: doh, I should have read the thread fully before replying. My bad...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Noreve covers use a snap closure to keep it closed when closed, and reverses to keep it open when folded back. My review of my KK cover with pictures is here.

I really hope they make a case for the paperwhite.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
All of the ones I have without a spine flop open when I put them down. The type with a clasp avoids the ugly strap problem but then you have that darned clasp in the way when you try to fold the cover back and hold it one handed. No, it still doesn't work. Not the way a hardback book cover works.
Do you try to fold a hardback book cover all the way back to read it one handed? Unless you do, why are you comparing e-reader covers to hardback covers when you don't want the same limitations? They need to be different since you want them to do different things.

I have the lighted K3 cover and it stays closed without the strap and will also open and fold all the way behind my K3. I have never had a problem with it not staying closed.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
I hate waste.

I was looking for a really nice cover for a new Kindle Paperwhite. I found beautiful ones that were not so cheap and cheap ones that were not so nice but they all had one flaw--they didn't accomplish the purpose they were intended for.

A book cover is supposed to cover the book! I can't be the only one who noticed that. It's in the actual name of the product. But even in the images meant to sell them most wouldn't stay shut without wrapping a strap around them. The beautiful ones were not so pretty tied up like that and the cheap ones looked extra cheap.

Why? Book covers are a two century old technology! At least! You have to put a spine on it to get the cover to close and stay shut! What's the hangup?
I must be a very poor consumer, I don't buy things that need replacing. I have several eReaders, as does my wife and family. That makes more than twenty among us all. (I have five daughters and all have partners.) Not one of them has a cover that does not work. At times I have dropped a Kindle or had it knocked off a desk. No damage - cover worked. All of them have a front cover that folds behind the reader when being used making reading easy.

Are you practicing to become a Mother-in-Law or does finding fault where none exists come naturally to you?
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I've never heard anyone having a problem with an e-reader cover. If you don't like the cover, buy a different one. My cover for my K3 cost $13 with shipping. I'm quite satisfied with it. It does have a magnetic clasp on it to hold it shut, but that's to protect the fragile device inside. When I drop a paper book, it may well fall open. That's no problem with a paper book, it's not going to be damaged, while an e-reader might.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It’s gratifying to discover so many satisfied customers. My experience has been more mixed.

I’ve bought covers in a box that looked great and cost less but turned out to be paper thin in actual practice: they gave no protection for the reader and little to even get hold of either so why bother? I have other covers that will not stay shut without being tied shut. They were the floppy cover type that looked great, like they would certainly protect the screen but in practice I was reluctant to toss my reader into a backpack for fear that cover would not protect the screen any better than the paper thin type.

I understand that things that are used wear out. Even well made covers begin to see-saw the front cover over time or show scuff marks. I’d rather buy a new cover from time to time than have to replace my eBook reader, but I’ve also had covers that started to wear out within a few months. Build quality is harder to spot especially when you’re shopping online.

I certainly have others that work fine and lasted a year or more, no problems; I’m not complaining about all of them. My complaint is that of several covers for the Paperwhite that attracted me they all appeared to be of the kind that don’t stay closed without a strap. That floppy front cover worries me about construction quality. They were rather expensive, too, and I can’t understand why any company would go to all the trouble of producing a very attractive product and omit a critical part. Reader covers should be attractive but they have to protect the eBook reader.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #26
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Specifically, what brand of covers failed you?

I bought an Amazon cover for my K2 and Oberon for my K3. Both worked and continue to work flawlessly.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Speaking as someone who owns an ereader with a small market presence, you might want to try my approach. I like the slip-case that I got with my ereader, but it's not really a cover and provides very little protection while traveling. After poking around the various discount stores, etc., I discovered a zip-up case for a Nintendo DS that fits my JetBook Lite perfectly. It zips closed, holds the ereader with elastic straps that don't interfere with reading, and stays open when I unzip it. I don't use it often, just when traveling, but it does a great job.

Have you considered non-traditional sources?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
All of the ones I have without a spine flop open when I put them down. The type with a clasp avoids the ugly strap problem but then you have that darned clasp in the way when you try to fold the cover back and hold it one handed. No, it still doesn't work. Not the way a hardback book cover works.
Well, I twist that clasp upside down and clip the cover together. Nothing is in the way. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120917_111323.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	92539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120917_111435.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	92540  
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #29
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I got a case crown cover for my kindle 4. It was $5.21. Works great, durable, and has a clasp to keep it closed when not in use. I have no complaints whatsoever. I"ve had an amazon cover on my kindle 2 and it has been just fine as well. Not sure what the problem or rant on covers is about.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #30
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Well, I twist that clasp upside down and clip the cover together. Nothing is in the way. See pictures.
Been doing that with my reader for the last two years. Best answer for holding in landscape. I hook my index finger around the strap most of the time while reading. Even fall asleep and wake up still holding the reader. The only down side is the elastic band on the top/right side in landscape mode does wear/stretch in time. I have had to repair the elastic band but for me that only adds character!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote