Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #316
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
ok, I'm starting to lose my mind here... I just can not find the original ones. I can only see the ones I put. People, I'm a blonde guy who just wants his default fonts back... share more detailed tips to do that. Please
Well, then you must have over-written them with files of the same name if everything has the same (or similar) date-time stamps.

Next way to do this - -
Download the mmcblk0p1 image file for your machine - -
Mount it, find the "stock" fonts - -
Anything other than those on your machine are the ones you added.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #317
KillerKlown
KillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with othersKillerKlown plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Thank you so much for helping! I finally solved the mystery :P
KillerKlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #318
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
For the record: the original fonts are NOT displayed in Font Hack. Just use the "reset to default" button
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #319
MarvinO
MarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolate

What is the right way to replace the default Caecilia LT font with a newer version? I got my hands on the new and improved version 5.40 (used in kindle 4.1.0 and kindle keyboard 3.4 - both have identical font files after latest update).

I made "Caecilia LT" directory and renamed:
Caecilia_LT_65_Medium.ttf > Caecilia LT Regular.ttf
Caecilia_LT_66_Medium_Italic.ttf > Caecilia LT Italic.ttf
Caecilia_LT_75_Bold.ttf > Caecilia LT Bold.ttf
Caecilia_LT_76_Bold_Italic.ttf > Caecilia LT Bold Italic.ttf

Then tried to activate it, it told to rebuild cache, I did, it found the new fonts and asked for framework restart. After restart whenever I enter the "Font Hack" application the kindle just reboots.

It created fonts.dir and fonts.scale inside "Caecilia LT" directory and 00-Caecilia LT.conf in /fonthack. When I remove them the Font Hack application starts, but when I activate "Caecilia LT" it behaves just as I described.

Does it need unique names and when I want to use newer version font with the same name this hack can't be used?
MarvinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #320
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What is "low-res" about a 168 ppi display?
ANYTHING below 300dpi is low-res as far as typography is involved.

168 is pretty high resolution *for a display*, but not for printing. Old monitors had approximately 75dpi and 168 dpi is only high when comparing with that. Even lousiest laser printers have at least 300DPI. And that is not considered enough. They have RET technology and other features, and often 600dpi and more to let you print fonts and vector graphics nicely.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #321
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

168 is pretty high resolution *for a display*, but not for printing. Old monitors had approximately 75dpi and 168 dpi is only high when comparing with that. Even lousiest laser printers have at least 300DPI. And that is not considered enough. They have RET technology and other features, and often 600dpi and more to let you print fonts and vector graphics nicely.
... and to add a bit to the off-topic discussion: the Kindle paperwhite has a 212 dpi (1024x758) display, and I will probably still be able to read the letters.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #322
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
When you get the printer on your Kindle working, we can re-address this question as the new topic that it is.

The topic under discussion (dispute?) here is the Kindle display.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #323
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Comparing printers and eink is complicated by the fact that printers can only display pure black and white, while the eink can anti-alias with 16 shades of gray.

At the normal distance range that you hold a Kindle while reading, the human eye can perceive the anti-aliasing as increased resolution, allowing much LESS than 300 DPI to look great, while on a pure black and white printer, 300 DPI looks crude in comparison and you really need 600 DPI or better.

So anti-aliased eink displays have a higher "effective" resolution than their technical DPI ratings would otherwise indicate.

References:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9304755
Quote:
Anti-aliasing is a technique for improving spatial resolution at the cost of luminance resolution. Dithering is a technique for improving luminance resolution at the cost of spatial resolution. These techniques are applied to the testing of visual function in the 'Freiburg Visual Acuity Test': by employing anti-aliasing, spatial resolution was improved.
Interesting anti-aliasing tutorial:
http://www.beatstamm.com/typography/RTRCh2.htm

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-15-2012 at 11:39 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #324
franco1387
franco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura aboutfranco1387 has a spectacular aura about

Here is a spanish translation made by me, i didn't know were to put it, so i post it here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip translation-es_ES.zip (4.6 KB, 265 views)
franco1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #325
blanca_luz
blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.blanca_luz shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle DXi-Touch-Keyboard-FireHD; Nook Touch Glowlight; Sony PRS-T1...
Amazing!!!!

You can use the font you like the most for the main text, and still it respects all the embedded fonts.
I,ve just tested a KF8 (made by me) and it works so well Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-10-05T00_00_16-0159.gif
Views:	401
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	93410
blanca_luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #326
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does this hack work for the Paperwhite on 5.2.0, now that we have a working jailbreak, or do we have to wait for an update to the font hack 1.3.2 version for it to work on the PW?

Many thanks!
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #327
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does this hack work for the Paperwhite on 5.2.0, now that we have a working jailbreak, or do we have to wait for an update to the font hack 1.3.2 version for it to work on the PW?

Many thanks!
Fonts in the Kpw are stored in a read-only, compressed, file system.
This is different than the other machines, which may mean changes are required to how fonts are added / changed.

Let us know what progress you make in trying to get this to work on your Kpw.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #328
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
This is different than the other machines, which may mean changes are required to how fonts are added / changed.

Refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramfs
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cram...urce=directory
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #329
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Thanks for this. If I understood correctly, the jailbreak and installation part (installing kindlet, the certs and the fonthack 1.3.2) should go through fine, and we would be left with problems in placing the ttf fonts in the right directory. Is this correct? Would anyone have any pointers on how to modify the cramfs image?
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #330
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Mount the cramfs file system image as a loop device
find stuff/Make stuff
mkcramfs stuff newFile

I believe roughly

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...kcramfs.8.html

and the other stuff I posted has more general concepts.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks