Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #61
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And you still need to update you device list. Sheesh!
Kenny i thought about you yesterday when I stopped at a VZW kiosk and was checking out the Xoom. I can definitely see the appeal. How well made it is reminds me of the Moto Droids. I wouldn't trade my iPad for it but if I had the Xoom, I wouldn't trade that either. If I owned both, it would take me at least a month before I could decide which one to give up. It's a really nice piece of hardware. Now... If they would make a large screen it would be a no brainer.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #62
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Kenny i thought about you yesterday when I stopped at a VZW kiosk and was checking out the Xoom. I can definitely see the appeal. How well made it is reminds me of the Moto Droids. I wouldn't trade my iPad for it but if I had the Xoom, I wouldn't trade that either. If I owned both, it would take me at least a month before I could decide which one to give up. It's a really nice piece of hardware. Now... If they would make a large screen it would be a no brainer.
It looks like you already have a little tablet/reader addiction going on...
now just back away from the Xoom! Nice and slow...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #63
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
It looks like you already have a little tablet/reader addiction going on...
now just back away from the Xoom! Nice and slow...
I do.

Sent from my iPad
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #64
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
I am not a big fan of anything Apple but iPad 2 got me considering buying one. I'd love to get feedback from current owners on:
-eye strain from prolonged usage
-the inability to run Flash and any runarounds applied with this issue
-picture quality while video conferencing
I plan to sit on the fence until RIM comes out with their PlayBook and see what they offer in terms of features vs. price...
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #65
morean51
morean51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
how's the new ipad2 is guys i am from India i am big fan of apple products
morean51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by morean51 View Post
how's the new ipad2 is guys i am from India i am big fan of apple products
Glue and tape.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/03/ipad-2-teardown.php
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #67
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Hmmmm? large screen?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #68
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmmm? large screen?
Non-widescreen?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #69
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Non-widescreen?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #70
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
So ...

Which is better ....

Xoom or iPad2 ...

(ducks)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #71
kennyc

I have an opinion, but ... it's like asking which is better Romance novels or Spy novels.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
:: -eye strain from prolonged usage

Same as the original. Which for me means, no eye strain. YMMV

:: the inability to run Flash and any runarounds applied with this issue

Not all that important to me. It's not like I don't have multiple other computers I can go to if I _need_ to go to a flash site. A good deal (something like 64%) of web video is iPad compatible now with more coming every day.

:: picture quality while video conferencing

Both skype and face time worked just fine. Face time has better video quality. Then again, I was actually using the Skype for iPhone app on my iPad 2. The Skype for iPad app is not out yet.

My original iPad always seemed peppy to me. The iPad 2 is noticeably more responsive. And thinner. And a bit lighter.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #73
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
I am not a big fan of anything Apple but iPad 2 got me considering buying one. I'd love to get feedback from current owners on:
-eye strain from prolonged usage
-the inability to run Flash and any runarounds applied with this issue
-picture quality while video conferencing
I plan to sit on the fence until RIM comes out with their PlayBook and see what they offer in terms of features vs. price...
-Eye strain depends of the person. If I read a lot, I get eye strain (iPad is not my main ereader)
-Flash: depends of what you see or browse. Lack of Flash has some impact on me but not so big that makes browsing unusable. Amazon uses Flash, for example.
-Cameras are ok for Video Conference, but quality is poor for vacation shoots or things like that (I can't imagine myself taking pictures with iPad , lol)

Something good on iPad that I'm enjoying right now: tons, tons, tons of apps. I like the Xoom a lot, but not enough apps yet (for Honeycomb I mean) and it was too bulky for me, even when comparing to iPad 2. Xoom it is also pricey but Moto will release Wifi version soon, so that could catch some users.

I want to enjoy a device now and use more for fun or Magazines, that's why I went for the iPad 2.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-17-2011 at 10:03 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
... The iPad 2 i...
Lee
That's a much better device list...
Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #75
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
yeah I think the problem with the Xoom would be the same I see with my Galaxy, alot of the apps I would want do not really work, or work correctly on the galaxy, they are designed for a smaller screen, so the touch points are off from where they should be.
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote