Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2023, 12:04 PM   #91
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post

--
FWIW, a Sage with a decent battery would probably make me upgrade my Forma. Add something like a newer e-ink screen, and that's a definite yes.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #92
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I wish somebody would make an 8" eink reader without feeling compelled to slap on a Wacom or similar function that adds weight and cost and reduces clarity
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2023, 06:44 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I wish somebody would make an 8" eink reader without feeling compelled to slap on a Wacom or similar function that adds weight and cost and reduces clarity
A Kobo Aura H2O format factor with a faster processor, larger capacity battery, and a Carta 1300 screen at 8". That would be a dream Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:12 PM   #94
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Decent digitizers go under the screen, so have no effect on clarity. They also add negligible weight. The Ntrig/MS used by Kobo/MS adds little cost. That's why the pen is sold separately. The Libra 2 apparently has the digitiser, or part of the system, though the pen only works in the Sketch pad. One button makes trace wider and the other erases.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-22-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #95
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I don’t think I’d buy a kobo again. I have four devices, but my Sage and Forma now suffer from rapid battery drain. I’m lucky if I get a couple of hours reading and they shut down straight away, I get a warning message and the next second they are dead. I bought a paperwhite recently and the battery on that is amazing. It’s made me realise how bad the kobo’s are for battery life.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-23-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2023, 11:32 AM   #96
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OTOH my Kindle are all much poorer for battery life than my Kobos, especially when not used. I get days of solid reading on the Sage.

Either you've been unlucky or left the ereader somewhere hot (damages battery life). Or you have front light full, wifi on and BT on.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:35 AM   #97
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
OTOH my Kindle are all much poorer for battery life than my Kobos, especially when not used. I get days of solid reading on the Sage.

Either you've been unlucky or left the ereader somewhere hot (damages battery life). Or you have front light full, wifi on and BT on.
No wifi on, I do have the front light high. It’s only been the last month or so it’s started.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #98
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also get several days with my Sage (bought when released 2 years ago). No wifi, frontlight always at 9.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:51 AM   #99
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I also get several days with my Sage (bought when released 2 years ago). No wifi, frontlight always at 9.
My front light during the day is very high as I like a bright whitish screen. I lower it at night. I’m factory resetting now and seeing if that helps. Ironically I was thinking of selling the Sage but I can’t as it is right now.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:54 AM   #100
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My front light during the day is very high as I like a bright whitish screen. I lower it at night. I’m factory resetting now and seeing if that helps. Ironically I was thinking of selling the Sage but I can’t as it is right now.
In daylight I use my Libra 2 with the frontlight at 30-80, depending on the ambient light. But I seldom read in daylight; most of my reading is done at night, with the Sage.

I use the Libra in daylight exactly because I too like a whitish screen and it has better battery life than the Sage.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don’t think I’d buy a kobo again. I have four devices, but my Sage and Forma now suffer from rapid battery drain. I’m lucky if I get a couple of hours reading and they shut down straight away, I get a warning message and the next second they are dead. I bought a paperwhite recently and the battery on that is amazing. It’s made me realise how bad the kobo’s are for battery life.
The Libra 2 battery lasts. You can get one and not have a battery issue. We've know the battery is poor in the Sage. The Forma, is old and the battery is as well.

So I do suggest going for the Libra 2. Once you do, the PW5 will go in a drawer never to be seen again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #102
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
How long do you typically read per day?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #103
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Libra 2 battery lasts. You can get one and not have a battery issue. We've know the battery is poor in the Sage. The Forma, is old and the battery is as well.

So I do suggest going for the Libra 2. Once you do, the PW5 will go in a drawer never to be seen again.
I already have a Libra 2, but pre PW 6.8 I preferred the 8” readers, I still do tbh. But after that it’s the Libra or the PW 6.8. I only read my Amazon books on the PW.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #104
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How long do you typically read per day?
2/3 hours I guess, but on and off all day.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #105
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
2/3 hours I guess, but on and off all day.
That does sound a little unusual. I can see it for the Forma (it's old), but with the Sage being newer it is surprising.

FWIW, my mother's Forma was probably used six hours a day, and by the end, it couldn't make it through the day.

I recently went from a Forma to a Clara 2e, and I appreciate the longer battery life of the Clara 2e.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote