Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Units of measurement

What is the best way to keep a proper layout wherever the app, support and user's preferences are.
I know each reader devices and app can change the layout and the user can change almost everything. But I want little control over the proportion like spaces before and after a paragraph or a tiltle. Margin around a table or a pic.

What is the best way to keep them clean: em, px or % ?
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It depends on what you want. Pixels are almost never a good choice, since they might depend on the device resolution (although strictly, the CSS spec gives them a sort of absolute meaning, but I wouldn't trust the reading applications to be aware of this).

If you want something to depend on the font size (probably indents or vertical spacing), use em.

If you want something to depend on the screen size (maybe some margins), use %; for relative font sizes you can use % too.

If you want something to have some absolute size (some other margins, or line widths, or picture size), use real units, like in or mm.

Whatever you do, you won't be able to "keep a proper layout wherever the app, support and user's preferences are", there will always be an app that messes everything, and users with extreme (or silly) preferences.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You could make it a pdf. It forces exact locations and spacing.

The reflowable nature of epubs and unpredictable interpretations of the epub by reader software makes exact predictions of what will occur at ALL times impossible.

But you trade one set of problems for another.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mrmikel: thanks for the input! In facts, I'm not looking to "force" the layout but have a certain constancy between each reader. I know it's impossible to have the same layout on every plateforms, reading apps...

I'm trying to avoid PDF. I prefer ePub problem over PDF!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur

@Jellby: Thanks for the help. I'Ll try to use those advices for my ePub!
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
...there will always be an app that messes everything, and users with extreme (or silly) preferences.
This makes me laugh. A lot!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur

Ofr padding and borders of a table, wich unite I must use, em or % ?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'd probably use em (changes with font size) or mm (absolute, independent of font and screen sizes). Test the effect in a browser, changing the font and window sizes and decide which behaviour you like best.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote